New Mac OS Sonoma update for kontakt 7 crashes Logic Pro

Options
Victor GH
Victor GH Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
edited April 3 in Komplete Kontrol

I just downloaded the new Kontakt 7 update and it's crashing my Logic pro on Mac. I don't even use the kontakt 7 i only use komplete kontrol since it's the only way to work around this problem but now that I downloaded the new upgrade my system crashes everytime. Mk3 is not recognizing the DAW anymore when you load an existing project on Logic. Please help!

Thanks.

Comments

• Matt_W
    Matt_W Member Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Let the good times roll... I'm still facing issues with the previous version - Kontakt 7.8.1 crashing in Logic 10.8.1 on Sonoma 14.2.1 ONLY when using Kontrol S49n Mk3 Agent Version 1.5.5 (R14) and OS Version 1.5.5 (R).

NI continue to say that Apple is at fault, and as we can't see inside a black box we have to take their word for it, but from my experiments the only variable that cause Logic to crash is when Kontakt is being driven by Kontrol S49n Mk3, but there is no mention of any firmware update for Kontrol S49n Mk3. I've mentioned this on another post.

Have been waiting for this update for a while, but now I dare not touch it, nor the new Mac OS update, until there is more evidence and confidence.

It may help all of us, including NI team, if we can list our versions of Kontakt, Logic and Mac OS, and Kontrol S49n Mk3? There must be a magic combination of versions that works, otherwise I don't think that NI would unleash more mayhem on its customers. I have full faith they are trying to resolve this to the best of their abilities.

I've offered a few times on this forum and email for NI to do a zoom session to have a look at this problem "in the wild" instead of their development lab, however I understand they must be busy (like the rest of us)!

There is a Reputation Framework that is premised on two axis, one axis being Ability or Expertise, and the other being Empathy. Both of these axis have to be high for companies to have a good reputation. If either of the Expertise or the Empathy falls, the overall reputation falls. This is used in risk management. I still believe that NI are working hard to recover from this and move them into the high Expertise/Empathy quadrant.

I'm expecting some negative comments from my post, but I always try and be constructive, informative and polite. I have a busy job like all of us, and I wouldn't waste my time reading and writing here otherwise.

• Victor GH
    Victor GH Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
    Options

To make matters worse my controller is no longer sounding either. I have been reading different suggestions in the forums but I am completely in the DARK!!

• MorrisEd
    MorrisEd Member Posts: 68 Helper
    Options

You didn’t think NI was going to provide an update with that many bug fixes without giving you a whole bunch more. That would be a first.

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 859 mod
    Options

The Kontakt 7 release notes state this as a known issue, and I've mentioned it elsewhere on the forums, but:

• Komplete Kontrol 3 and Kontakt 7 do support Sonoma
    • Kontrol S MK3 does not yet support Sonoma
    • There is a known issue that can cause a crash when Kontakt 7, Logic Pro and Kontrol S MK3 are used together on Sonoma
    • This issue has been root caused as an issue on Apple's side
    • My colleagues at Apple have confirmed this, and are working on a fix
    • They are not at liberty to provide me with a timeline, hence I cannot provide one to you
  • Matthew_NI
    Options

@Matt_W per your comment - this is known, has been root caused, is filed and tracked with Apple, and they're working on it. I follow up with them weekly. There's nothing more you, or I, can do, as frustrating as that is.

• Tomboman
    Tomboman Member Posts: 46 Member
    Options

Has anyone tried the new beta of 14.5? Does it finally solve the crashes?

One other question, maybe @Matthew_NI or @Jeremy_NI can help with that: I do have a clean installation of Sonoma 14.4.1 here - I do want to prevent that crashes - What causes it? Just connecting the MK3 S88 or installing some kind of software? (Which one? Komplete Kontrol)? Can I just use the MK3 just as a midi input without the Direction NKS connection? I have to admit this all is so confusing. Thanks so much!

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    edited April 3
    Options

The crash happens with this combination: the Kontakt 7 plug-in, the MK3 keyboard and Logic. So using the Komplete Kontrol plug-in instead is a workaround. You have NKS integration there too.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,287 Guru
    edited April 3
    Options

Even though there is apparently something Apple needs to do... there is also apparently something NI could do. If KK3 works in this scenario, what is the difference in K7 that does not?

NI could share the technical reason behind this problem, but they choose not to. That is not very transparent.

Please NI, let us know the technical reason why KK3 works, but K7 does not. What is NI doing with their K7 product that requires Apple to make a change in their product?

• Matt_W
    Matt_W Member Posts: 21 Member
    Options

I was recently wondering the same thing. How come Komplete Kontrol works but Kontakt 7 doesn’t?

Just make Komplete Kontrol less clunky to use and ditch Kontakt 7 (or better yet, fix Kontakt 7).

• Tomboman
    Tomboman Member Posts: 46 Member
    Options

@Jeremy_NI Ah great, thank you very much! Really appreciate the quick reply :) So basically I can use it in Logic if I don't use Kontakt, good to know. So I can record in midi

• Matthew_NI
    Options

I cannot disclose details about our code.

As I have said repeatedly, when Kontakt 7 is used as a plug-in, within Logic Pro, on macOS 14, and Kontrol S MK3 is connected via Direct Connection, a crash can happen.

The cause of this crash has been investigated by engineers from both companies.

The fix has been acknowledged by Apple as something only they can fix, and that fix has been filed on their backlog.

That is the be all, and the end all, of this issue.

This discussion has been closed.