FM8 and pitch bend wheel

Options
Sensitive
Sensitive Member Posts: 5 Newcomer

The virtual pitch bend wheel on FM8 is working, but the physical wheel on my V25 Alesis keyboard is not. The mod wheel on the V25 is working, as are the keys, of course. I'm using FM8 in Pro Tools. Am I missing something obvious?

Tagged:

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    Options

Is it working in FM8 in standalone? I've tried to reproduce in Pro Tools 2024.3 on a Mac on Monterey with a Novation keyboard. Modwheel and Pitch bend work in FM8 standalone and in Pro Tools. Maybe some settings in Pro Tools? What's your operating system?

• Sensitive
    Options

Hi Jeremy, and sorry for the slow response! I had to finish that project without the pitch bend working, but now I've started another project, and still frustrated by the pitch bend wheel not working. I checked all kinds of settings in Pro Tools and didn't find anything that would help. I'm on Mac OS 13.6.2 and Pro Tools Studio 2023.12.1.

Everything else seems to work fine from the keyboard. I believe I checked the standalone version of FM8 and encountered the same problem (I'm not in the same place as the keyboard as I write this).

• Sensitive
    Options

I had to draw in pitch bend automation in the Pro Tools tracks, so FM8 is responding to pitch bend info, it's just not picking it up when it comes from the pitch bend wheel on my midi controller.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    Options

Please double check in standalone, you can also check with MIDI monitor what's happening when you are using this pitch wheel: How to Monitor the Output of a MIDI Controller

I don't see what could block it in ProTools, could it be some MIDI assignment to the pitch bend / pitch wheel in FM8, even by accident? Have you checked options in FM8? There are a few settings related to MIDI, I can confirm that pitch bend is working with these settings:

• Sensitive
    Options

Thanks for your quick and clear response - I'll be back on it in a day or so and will follow all your suggestions! I'll let you know one way or the other.

• Sensitive
    Options

I tried again in standalone FM8, still no pitch bend info registering. Checked the options you mentioned, it looked exactly the same as yours. I've checked the Midi filtering in Pro Tools, and it should be allowing pitch bend info through. I downloaded midi monitor, and it shows note on off info but no pitch bend. Starting to wonder if it's the Alesis V25 - wrote to them, don't know how good they are at responding. It seems odd that it would suddenly be broken, but of course not impossible. Any other suggestions?