How do you setup your orchestra?

Options

Comments

• kengon
    kengon Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I have several different kinds of templates that I use for different purposes. For example, I create my own backing tracks for cover songs. So, I built a template for that. For "symphonic" music, I have a template for that. For songwriting, I have a sketch template with many ensemble instruments. This helps me keep my memory utilization in check and helps prevent building a hopelessly large, complex template. The planning that goes into each helps me know what I can add on an ad hoc basis when/if needed.

I have a lot of virtual instruments in my collection and a pretty big set of synths. The hardest thing I had to contend with was keeping it all straight. I needed to know what I had in the set and where it was when I needed it. It sucks to have a great instrument and then to leave it to chance that you'll find it. I use a tagging scheme that starts with the instrument I'm interested in and will help me find the library where I can find that instrument.

The final thing that goes along with this approach is to take the time to walk through each of the instruments, their patches, and mic positions. Don't get me wrong, this can take significant time, but it's a worthwhile investment. Doing this will help ensure you really learn what your instruments and libraries are capable of. When you think of a sound you want, you've likely heard that before and are more likely to go to it rather than go "dumpster diving" for something. I think that's a sub-optimal use of time.

• Allang123
    Allang123 Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Hi: I’m shamelessly but honestly here to hear what’s new that’s dropping? Is that wrong?

I can say that I know I should use templates but am too lazy to set them up plus I like the discovery of building things each time.

• Geoff Grace
    Geoff Grace Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

It's important to have a lot of RAM for orchestral work. The more you have, the faster you can create.

That said, there are workarounds. You can leave tracks disabled until you're ready to use them, you can freeze tracks that you're not actively creating, and you can create project-specific templates that only use a predefined set of sounds tailored to the work at hand.

Best,

Geoff

• tomemitsu
    tomemitsu Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I'm up to 92 gb RAM on my Mac. More tools requires more RAM... probably. Good luck everyone on the raffle!

• idancerecords
    idancerecords Member Posts: 4 Newcomer
    Options

I upgraded to a MacBook Pro with M3 Max and 128 GB of RAM specifically so I can playback my orchestral Disney medley with my computer freezing up.

• darecordbreakaz
    darecordbreakaz Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Two networked computers running Vienna Ensemble 2012 MBP & M2 Mac Studio each with Komplete and NKS libraries.

• toosliq
    toosliq Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I generally use orchestral sections or solo instruments from specialized NI instruments/plugins since I don't yet own the NI Orchestral instrument/plugin.

• David Stackhouse
    David Stackhouse Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Looking forward to hearing about whatever product they're raffling off, even if I don't win

• Roger Hooper
    Roger Hooper Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I use Cubase, and like others have commented here, my tracks are all "disabled" when I first load my template. When I want to use the instruments I have a key command that enables them. The template loads very quickly; have over a couple hundred instruments in the template. Using a second computer is a good idea; I used an older Mac for my second computer for a long time until I got my last iMac (which is an "old" 2017). My current iMac has 64GB ram, and so far haven't needed to use a second computer for libraries. I think in Ableton you can "deactivate" tracks, so maybe you can create a template of several instruments and have them deactiviated when you first load them, then activate as you need them.

• Shadowin
    Shadowin Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

I agree... they have some interesting instruments and FX. I think they weigh in pretty heavily in the Orchestra and film scoring stuff. I can find some pretty dark stuff when playing around, especially good for drones and background sounds, but also some really interesting leads.

• Nibbana
    Nibbana Member Posts: 7 Newcomer
    Options

I prefer the Cremona Quartet for all of my string needs, but I really wish NI would release an Amanti Bass library.

• GITFIDDLEJR
    GITFIDDLEJR Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

BronwynH has got the right idea...It is what I have done.

• dorrian383
    dorrian383 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

I have a number of different libraries and plugins for orchestral work, but not having a lot of spare cash these days, none of them are particularly "high-end" (thinking some of the Spitfire Libraries, which at this point I can only dream about).

If I'm starting an orchestral piece, my starting point is the BBC Discovery Orchestra. That gives me a nice basic "starter palette" from which to work, but often as the piece evolves, it requires a different "take" on a particular orchestral section. Then I will turn to what I need and specialize. Sometimes I pull out Miroslav; sometimes it's one of my Heavyocity libraries (eg. Intimate Textures), sometimes Project Sam, etc.

Every composition will be different, and it's pretty hard to try and come up with a template (although I do have one) that is going to work for every situation. I have 32G of RAM on my 'puter, so I don't have the luxury of loading everything at once.

I think taking advantage of the "purge" functionality in Kontakt has helped me on several occasions (where it purges unused samples from memory). Failing all that, sometimes I just create subprojects (using REAPER) for various orchestral sections and render them out for use as a "working" mix while making the master composition. You can run into trouble doing this, though, if you need to go back and modify that submix later.

What do they say? Necessity is the Mother of Invention. (And Zappa, too) 😄

• -AL-X-
    -AL-X- Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

So I've got Komplete 14 Ultimate, which really is worth it.

For a good orchestral sound, NI doesn't have the best options, however, the best option is always to mix multiple instruments together for the most realistic sound and ultimate 14 gives you a large range of options. Mixing these together can give you amazing results, plus (in ultimate 14), you get all the other bits in there too which definitely makes it the best buy regardless of what you want to do

• Chaz
    Chaz Member Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Excited to see thr reveal