Hiss noise Laptop to Monitor via USB-C/Thunderbolt 4 cable

Böll91
Böll91 Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
edited April 2022 in Other Software & Hardware

Hello community,

I have following setup (see picture). Maschine Mk3, Focal Shape Twin and Win10 Laptop. If I connect my Laptop via USB-C/Thunderbolt 4 Cable to my monitor there are hiss. But if I connect my Laptop via HDMI to my monitor there are NO Hiss. The hiss are louder if my mouse are over graphics like videos/pictures. What I don't mean are background noises from the speakers which are normal. I am not sure if hiss are the correct terminology. Of course I updated all drivers, changed the cables, even the monitor and Laptop. Do you know why there are hiss if I connect via USB-C/Thunderbolt 4 cable?

Your help is highly appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Böll91

Best Answer

• Tony Jones
    Tony Jones Member Posts: 261 Pro
    Answer ✓

USB ground loop noise is a very commonly reported problem, particular with synths into interfaces, so my first thought is this is the cause here. Without hearing the hiss I'd try a different cable, stick to HDMI or get a dearer cable with the relevant shielding.

If you do a quick google you will find a lot of references and suggestions

Answers

• Tony Jones
    Tony Jones Member Posts: 261 Pro
    Answer ✓

USB ground loop noise is a very commonly reported problem, particular with synths into interfaces, so my first thought is this is the cause here. Without hearing the hiss I'd try a different cable, stick to HDMI or get a dearer cable with the relevant shielding.

If you do a quick google you will find a lot of references and suggestions