Traktor Kontrol Z2 + TP3 - Headroom visualized on channel meters in software vs. on Z2 mixer.

Options
andr0id
andr0id Member Posts: 5 Newcomer

Hello, I have a question about the application of headroom and its visualization in Traktor Pro 3 as well as the Z2 mixer itself.

First, I am not able to specifically choose what headroom is applied when using my Traktor Z2 mixer connected via usb (using it with Traktor). Though I am not able to specifically choose the headroom level, there may still be some headroom being applied as when I enable the option 'Apply Headroom to Channel Meters' in the Mixer settings for Internal Mixing Mode, I can see that the channel levels drop to some extent within the software. Is there a default headroom level being applied?

My other question is, while I can see the channel levels drop within the software when enabling the option 'Apply Headroom to Channel Meters' in the Mixer settings for Internal Mixing Mode, I don't think I see a difference in the channel levels on the Z2 (hardware) channel meters themselves.

Are the hardware (Z2's) channel meters reflecting the levels with the headroom being visualized whether or not I enable the said option in the settings or are they displaying the levels without the headroom being visualized as it is in the software when not enabling the said option 'Apply Headroom to Channel Meters'?

Thank you very much for any help!

Answers

• Martiniix_NI
    Martiniix_NI Customer Care Posts: 10 mod
    Options

Hello!

So there should be a default headroom applied of -3db, this setting as you might have seen, can be changed to having no headroom or minus other decibels. Besides that there shouldn't be a fixed headroom.

When setting 'Apply Headroom to Channel Meters' the option should be visible in the hardware, you can test that by applying an extreme headroom while playing a track, the meters should go down.

• andr0id
    Options

Thank you for your response. When my Traktor Kontrol Z2 is not connected, i have the ability to change headroom as seen here:

However, once I connect my Traktor Kontrol Z2, the option is no longer available as seen here:

If I choose to "Apply Headroom to Channel Meters" under Internal Mixing Mode I can see the software channel meter get reduced by some amount, however the hardware meter on the Traktor Kontrol Z2 seems to stay the same. It would be easier to confirm it is not changing if I could set the headroom setting to a more extreme amount as you say but I don't seem to be able to.

• andr0id
    Options

Upon further testing:

If I change the headroom to none and set gain to 0 on trim both software and on the Z2 mixer (testing with channel B), and loop a sound: when the Z2 is not connected selecting "Apply Headroom to Channel Meters"(Internal Mixing Mode) does not change the levels (makes sense), however when I plug in the Z2, and select "Apply Headroom to Channel Meters" (Internal Mixing Mode), I can visualize a reduction in the software channel meter. (Still cannot discern a change on the Z2 channel meter)

Perhaps there is a default headroom being applied that cannot be changed once the Z2 mixer is connected? Though I am not 100% sure whether or not it is being reflected on the hardware.