Kontrol 2024 outlook: what was, what now, what next?

Options

Comments

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,813 mod
    Options

It has to be both really if effects support is going to be usable in my view

• MLARS
    MLARS Member Posts: 32 Helper
    edited March 10
    Options

The MK3 is extremely overpriced, especially the S88 - but it is fixing some of pretty terrible industrial design of the MK2. Touchs trip on the correct side is a step in the right direction. But ergonomics is still weak and expressive controls placed too far to the left on a 88 key for certain scenarios. 3 to 5 faders to the center left by the displays with similar functions would have been great. The thing going for it is that it is overall still is a nice product for music makers.

Not all composers uses multiple expression pedals - many use faders (a detachable control unit with touch displays, knobs and faders would have been a far better solution, especially when many put their S88s beneath their desk where displays and knobs are not visible (the expression controls to the left is pretty far away so many use additional third party fader controls. Really dissapointed detachable panel was not part of the MK3 release. Big mistake.

Great seeing Kontakt 7 without Komplete Kontrol - problem is you are years late. Some have built templates with Komplete Kontrol. Baffling how this took so long and only supported on the MK3. Not a good look.

A properly working Play assist on LogicPro would be nice - it did not convert to the assigned scale in midi data when recording rendering basically the feature useless in real production scenarios, easier using Cubase build in features instead.

Midi templates is a nice feature. Hope it will be easy to setup. Ergonomics is key. Kontakt UX today feels legacy old and convoluted.

Also important for a working midi mode to control synths and modular gear.

Browser Kontakt and Komplete Kontrol needs folders/custom tags and other properties (flags etc) to sort through preset and make it practical. I want to tag a preset for a specific project - that is a realistic use case. Assigning a color or merely a single star is bad UX. Cloud save these properties so I can find them on multiple computers.

Scalable GUI is still not fixed - updates are being made on the backend, and only a few libraries are supported. Third party support for scalable GUI is still nowhere to be seen - why should I invest in old library product lines where there is no messaging if GUI scaling is going to be added? For instance Heavyocity just released a new Novo library - there is no messaging if Novo will get a high res scaling update. Why spend money on old libraries with an obsolete GUI? Fix the messaging how future proofing will be rolled out! Talk to your partners and construct messaging what instruments will be ported to a scalable GUI.

• KenV99
    KenV99 Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

@Matthew_NI I also greatly appreciate the update. I was wondering if your could either expand upon MIDI 2.0 capabilities as they currently stand or point me to a source. Especially on the Windows platform.

At NAMM 2024 there were presentation about the future update/implementation of MIDI services for Windows that inculded MIDI 2.0. There is a pre-release open source version on GitHub. They did not publicly

I was wondering how these issue currently impact the usability of MIDI 2.0 with the S88 mk3 on Windows? Are the future NI updates dependent on the public release of the Windows implementation? Are the drivers, as currently released by NI compatible with the use of MIDI 2.0 on Windows (with any other Windows MIDI 2.0 compatible software, i.e. Cubase Pro 13)?

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 1,032 Guru
    edited March 10
    Options

My understanding is that none of the cool MIDI 2.0 features will be available on Windows (regardless of available NI drivers etc) until the official arrival of Windows MIDI services:

Which is well underway (Developer Preview 5) but not yet available commercially on a typical Win 10/11 DAW desktop.

VP

• RZEE
    RZEE Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I'd like to see support added for Apple MainStage.

• jgcamil
    jgcamil Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Thx for the updates!

Quick question about Smart Play: will it be able to be used with any midi track, not only Kontakt / Komplete Kontrol tracks? Think I read that somewhere but not sure...

• elxsound
    elxsound Member Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Longtime NI user, but new to the hardware and KK. I have the S88 Mk3 and immediately found it odd that play assist is only available through KK.

The more I use Komplete Kontrol, the less I like it, but two things…. 1) I bought it for use with Kontakt, and 2) I have Push 3 to use with Ableton.

tighter integration with channel strips has gotten my interest. I don’t want another controller as I think these two should be enough, so would love to see what you all come up with.

• rrahim
    rrahim Member Posts: 15 Member
    Options

hoping to purchase an MKIII keyboard later this year.

Let's see how it goes.

• darshie76
    darshie76 Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

To be honest you didn't say much about the actual roadmap...

What is coming in the pipeline, beside improvements to the existing architecture? Is this device going to be still tied to the NI products or will finally become a stand alone product that you can use with different products, without make profiles for every CC as we currently have been doing for 10 years now?

At this price point I would appreciate to have an omni-controller for when I use synths and a DAW on a computer, and sadly this new version of the KK does not satisfy that requirement yet, so I am forced to use multiple products that takes space in my studio.

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 894 mod
    Options

The API running Direct Connection actually lives on the MK3 device itself.

Kontakt 7 "simply" implemented the client-side of that API.

There is no such API, nor any on-device capability to run it, on the MK2 device.

It wasn't about limiting features for the new hardware. It was about building new hardware that could handle the new features. The graphical and metadata processing necessary for the integration happens near-entirely on-device for MK3. With the prior keyboards, all that logic lived in Komplete Kontrol, which was an insurmountable technical hurdle to implementation in any other software.