Can you load an updated licensed Kontakt library without removing the old version?

Options
tmpc
tmpc Member Posts: 77 Member

I want to install the updated version of licensed library I own without touching the original version so that I may compare them. I tried this, but can't load the updated version into Kontakt along with the original version. I did not authorize the updated version with NA.

Is this possible?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,242 mod
    Options

Which library are you looking to update? Pretty sure that's not possible, although if you have a spare PC/laptop you could always load the new version onto that to test it.

-- Mike

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,388 mod
    edited February 5 Answer ✓
    Options

Yes you can.

However, keep in mind this:

Both versions are in most parts the same and they always installed on the same folder. The updated version add more presets and probably some more functionality, but, the old files remain there too. It consider as an update to the already existed version and not something different, thus you will always see one version, not two!

• tmpc
    edited February 5
    Options

Just so you know, I don't use NA to download any of my libraries on my music computer. I downloaded and installed the library on another computer and then moved it over to my music PC. I placed the new version of the library in another location so that the old one wouldn't be overwritten. I did not use Native Access to "locate" it, and maybe that's the problem. Do you know if you need to, and if so, can NA "bless" two different versions of the same library, in two different locations?

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,388 mod
    edited February 5
    Options

Well, with this tactic you will end up with tons of unnecessary duplicate files, you know. But, its your space, to do it as you like. :-)

About "two different versions of the same library, in two different locations", officially is not supported, because simply in Native Access you can declare one location only. However, it is not impossible to be done, but you have to mess up with both the registry and the .xml files and manually change the locations of the libraries you want.

There are some advantages on this, but also a big disadvantage. Because after that, on every new update you also have to manually update every library that is not in the official NI location and this could be tricky.

...and as i said in the beginning, tons of unnecessary duplicate files... ;-)

• tmpc
    Options

Thanks for the info Sunborn, but I don't think it's worth all of that. I think I'll just install the new version, evaluate the changes, and reinstall the old one if I have to.

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,242 mod
    Options

The updaters don't always just add new instruments and leave the old ones intact. The new versions do sometimes retain the old NKI versions, for example Analog Dreams, Hybrid Keys. Others just overwrite and replace the NKI, for example Stacks, Amati Viola. Doesn't seem to be any logic as to whether an instrument is added or replaced, although I guess there's a reason somewhere!

-- Mike

• tmpc
    Options

Thanks, mykejb. Yeah, I've seen lots of variation in library updates.

I wish that NA wasn't so unnecessarily restrictive these days. It doesn't seem to be that strange to want to compare an updated library with the previous version . . . or to want access to both. I've done a fair amount of this on unprotected libraries, and I believe I've done it on licensed libraries pre Native Access.

This exposes a booby trap. Suppose you create a piece of music with an older version of a library. You then update that library and find that it no longer works or just doesn't sound right in that music. What do you do?

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 1,021 Guru
    Options

"This exposes a booby trap. Suppose you create a piece of music with an older version of a library. You then update that library and find that it no longer works or just doesn't sound right in that music. What do you do?"

That is a scenario that plays out somewhere on the boards (or elsewhere) about 10 times day.

So what do you do? (if this is a concern)

Do not upgrade any library until you are 100% sure ANY old piece of music you have ever created that used that library has been documented AND for obvious safety reasons - any tracks using the old library - should be transformed to audio so you can preserve the original preset/sound/vibe in the composition.

In some cases - you can get away with an upgrade as long as the sound source you used 2 years ago is still there and associated with the same preset etc - probably will be fine.

But in those cases where the library changes are substantial - like say Kontakt Factory Library 1 -> to Kontakt Factory Library 2 - you run the a real risk of orphaning specific tracks due to complete shift in presets, sound sources etc.

VP