Can I change the overall level of velocity response of an A-Series Keyboard?

LeeG
LeeG Member Posts: 8 Member
edited April 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

I have looked through the full manual and searched in the community forum but without success. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Best Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,624 mod
    Answer ✓

Hey @LeeG Unfortunately there is no setting available for velocity response or velocity curves on the A series keyboards.

• Shasano
    Shasano Member Posts: 1 Member
    Answer ✓

Had the same problem. Created a account to help you and others. Was looking for hours all over the internet... and i find a solution. https://springbeats.com/velpro/

It changes the velocity of your midi instrument as you wish. But its 39 bucks. You have just to change the MIDI input into the one created with velpro... and the Programm needs to run in the backround during your sessions. Hope it helps ;)

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

@Paul_A2412 OP is about the A series keyboards where there are no velocity settings to choose from. For a S25 MK1 you should be able to choose different velocity curves. Have you checked in Controller Editor?

• sjmarano
    sjmarano Member Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓

If you happen to be a Logic Pro user, a recent update (V10.7) added a Velocity Processor (VP) to its suite of built in MIDI effects plug-ins which now effectively offers a free means to accomplish the same thing as a third party plug in like VelPro. Logic's VP provides a very powerful and flexible set of options to enable REAL TIME expansion, compression and overall adjustment of the velocity curve on individual MIDI tracks and regions. And while it doesn't go quite as far as allowing one to do this on a note by note basis across the keyboard, it does allow one to specify/limit the pitch range over which any adjustment would be made. I just tried using the new functionality today to overcome what had been a big deficiency in the Komplete Kontrol M32 MIDI keyboard controller I just acquired. It worked great, making the keyboard far more responsive and now perfectly acceptable to me.

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

Hey @LeeG Unfortunately there is no setting available for velocity response or velocity curves on the A series keyboards.

• LeeG
    LeeG Member Posts: 8 Member

Hi, again Jeremy!

I thought that may be the case and at least I now know for sure.

Behind the question was a bit of concern over how hard I have had to hit the keys when playing one or two highly responsive instruments like pianos. I guess that means having to adjust certain parameters and saving the results as user presets.

For the time being, I'm happy to go away and learn about that for myself through tutorials, reading manuals and most importantly spending more time with my hands-on.

Thanks once again anyway. Regards, Lee.

• Jacob
    Jacob Member Posts: 1 Member

Hi @Jeremy_NI , will the option to change the velocity curve be added in the future? I’m in need of this too.

• Jeremy_NI

@Jacob This is not planned in the near future.

• janpeeters
    janpeeters Member Posts: 19 Member

It is not planned at all, not even in the far future, and never was. I've inquired many times with support and you always get the same answer. They just want you to buy the more expensive S-series. But don't Arturia keyboards have various curves for the same price.

I've spend quite a few bucks on NI gear so the fact that they can't support such a standard feature is disturbing. I always place a velocity curve transformer in Ableton before any instrument I want to play on my A-series.

If NI would take their hardware customers a bit more serious they would have implemented such a simple upgrade in the keyboards. It's not higher science.

• Shasano
    Shasano Member Posts: 1 Member
    Answer ✓

Had the same problem. Created a account to help you and others. Was looking for hours all over the internet... and i find a solution. https://springbeats.com/velpro/

It changes the velocity of your midi instrument as you wish. But its 39 bucks. You have just to change the MIDI input into the one created with velpro... and the Programm needs to run in the backround during your sessions. Hope it helps ;)

• Paul_A2412
    Paul_A2412 Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited April 2023

Well i have an S25 MK1 and guess what...has the same weak velocity problem in ableton AND as an external controller. The maximum signal you can get hardly reaches 40% but at that point is unusable and distracting having to smash the keys as sounds are totally different in many synth instruments ofc. I wanted to use it with my Akai Force occasionally but everytime i try is so annoying that i just don't bother with it anymore. I'll just get a cheaper, smaller Novation for that purpose and stay away from Komplete keyboards from now on. I wanted a better keybed but what good is the feeling if it makes close to no sound. I wasn't expecting such a silly problem from this brand but it makes all the difference between using it or not.

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

@Paul_A2412 OP is about the A series keyboards where there are no velocity settings to choose from. For a S25 MK1 you should be able to choose different velocity curves. Have you checked in Controller Editor?

• sjmarano
    sjmarano Member Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓

If you happen to be a Logic Pro user, a recent update (V10.7) added a Velocity Processor (VP) to its suite of built in MIDI effects plug-ins which now effectively offers a free means to accomplish the same thing as a third party plug in like VelPro. Logic's VP provides a very powerful and flexible set of options to enable REAL TIME expansion, compression and overall adjustment of the velocity curve on individual MIDI tracks and regions. And while it doesn't go quite as far as allowing one to do this on a note by note basis across the keyboard, it does allow one to specify/limit the pitch range over which any adjustment would be made. I just tried using the new functionality today to overcome what had been a big deficiency in the Komplete Kontrol M32 MIDI keyboard controller I just acquired. It worked great, making the keyboard far more responsive and now perfectly acceptable to me.

• Jeremy_NI

@sjmarano Welcome to the forum and thanks a lot for sharing these informations, it'll be super helpful for others!