X1mk3 - Insanely screwed up "FX assign button" programming is driving me nuts

Options
simonz
simonz Member Posts: 18 Member

As anyone else find the FX assign buttons (2 in the diagram below) impossible to remember as they as so unintuitive? I mean, you are in the effects more (whether 1&2 or 3&4), so these buttons should refer to that particular effect, right? So in picture below, we're in Effects 1&2, and the 2 buttons marked by the number 2 should decide which tracks are using THIS effect, so left arrow = track A, right arrow-= track B, shift to select C and/or D.

Right now, these buttons do what? these 2 arrows, which one the side of Effect 1, the left arrow turns on effect 1 for track A, the right arrow turns on effect 2 for frack A. This is NUTS. And I just cannot get my head around it. While I am in the effects mode, all the buttons on that side should control that effect ONLY. It just makes no sense!

I mean, THE BUTTONS HAVE ARROWS POINTING LEFT AND RIGHT! Surely that makes more sense if they are pointing to left/tight decks (A&B or shift C&D)?

And to make things even more confusing and inconsistent, if you are in mode Effect 3&4, the left arrow...oh, I give up. I keep having to switch back to TR to work out what the feck these buttons are doing because I just can't remember.

Can we please have some sanity here, or at least make the functions switchable in settings? These arros above a particular effect should tell us which decks are using THIS effect.

Pretty please.

I would change the assignments myself but I've not found a way in the Controller Manager to assign the MODE value to a modifier so that the buttons work in the correct mode.

Comments

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,795 mod
    Options

It was mixed up right from the start, you are absolutely right. I was going to change those settings in the qml when i planned to update my mods.

Regarding a modifier: You need three assignments for the mode button.

1. set modifier to 1 if it's zero.
    2. set modfier to 2 if it's 1.
    3. set modfier to zero if it's 2.

All have to have the 'override' box unchecked so the mode button is still capable of shifting modes. Now you can map the FX assignments to your liking, with the modifier value of 0 corresponding to the first FX Unit combination, value of 1 to the second FX Unit combination and value of 2 for the MIXER mode.

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,429 Expert
    Options

Yes, also tripped me up.

• simonz
    edited January 18
    Options

Well, I'd certainly be interested in seeing this mod of yours, if you can point me in the right direction.

But I really want to change these arrows NOW. Can't bear the thought of forcing myself to learn lame settings only to relearn better ones later.

So I've followed your instructions and tried to map the first couple of buttons:

And low and behold, they work (just for Effects 1&2 so far)! Brilliant! [Thanks for the guidance re. the MODE modifier, I never would have worked that out. I should be able to use this in loads of other stuff.]

Only remaining hitch in my masterplan is that the button lights are now totally scrambled as they show the original assignments. Is there any way to remap the lights too?

Holy ******! I've done it! No idea how, just messing around, but these assignments work, and the arrow lights all work (though it doesn't choose the right colours for some reason).

• Sûlherokhh
    Options

Strange thing with the colours. Nice to see you got your own map working! :)

• simonz
    edited January 18
    Options

Well, in for a penny...here's what I've done so far:

• In EFFECTS mode (e.g. Effects 1&2) the left/right arrows at the top of each effect (FX assign buttons) now switch on/off that effect for the A&B channels (more intuitive). The lights work correctly. 
    • In MIXER mode, the same top arrow buttons now turn on/off effects 1 & 2 (yellow lights), or with SHIFT the turn that channel effects 3 & 4 on/off (red lights). So they effectively mirror the square of the 4 effects lights on TR desktop (see image below). I know this is a bit of a duplication of functionality from the Effect mode windows, but I thought it might be handy. If I don't use them I'll remap the arrow buttons to something else (jump, loop, etc)
    • In MIXER mode, on deck A the SHIFT modifier now turns the deck A LOW knob and button into the deck A FILTER on/off and adjust. (Have not copied this to deck B yet because of the soft-takeover issue below.)
    • In MIXER mode, the SHIFT button now changes the deck A HIGH knob into a MONOTOR MIX adjust knob, and the deck B HIGH knob into a MONITOR VOLUME adjust knob. They work apart from the catastrophic problem #1 below.

Problems to solve:

1. soft takeover doesn't work anywhere I have tried it (deck A filter knob, monitor adjust). This is a HUGE problem at will stop me making lots of other desired changes.
    2. filter on/off light won't toggle correctly when shift is released (MixerA&B + shift + deck A low kill). This is in contrast to the FX assign arrows in MIXER mode where the lights toggle perfectly when shift is pressed & released. The colour is also a problem, as on SHIFT release, the button colour does not return to the stock colour.

The colour assignment confusion earlier was caused by the fact the controller colour scheme must be set to DEFAULT otherwise the programmed colours are overwritten. That seems nuts to me. IMO manually programmed colours should overwrite the colour scheme, so that overall scheme can be changed, but programmed colours still take priority.

That's all for today. Learned a lot, and programmed all the FX deck assignments I wanted successfully, with all lights working. But the soft takeover issue is crippling further messing, so any suggestions here would be welcome.

And please let me know your thoughts on the settings file.

PS here is the assignment table if you don't want to load my settings file:

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,699 mod
    Options

The soft takeover is known issue.

Second issue is introduced by switching to qml mapping. Same applies to S4 Mk3 and other controllers with screen support. Work around it to recreate the Low EQ output (M5=2 and M3=0)

• simonz
    Options

Thanks for the info. Whay about the issue about programmed colours being ignore in all but the default colour scheme?

"The colour assignment confusion earlier was caused by the fact the controller colour scheme must be set to DEFAULT otherwise the programmed colours are overwritten. That seems nuts to me. IMO manually programmed colours should overwrite the colour scheme, so that overall scheme can be changed, but programmed colours still take priority."

I'll add your work-around, so thanks for that too.

Finally, I have asked this before, but is there anywhere I can learn the basics of qml mapping so that I can have a go at this myself? I have done some programming before, but on watching a few videos learning to write qml files for the mk3 might be a little tricky for me...

• Stevan
    Options

You are welcome. The colors issue is also known one and also related to qml...

I don't think you will find any "qml programming tutorials" online (for getting started with the qml editing)

NI should fix all damn issues because not all DJ's are programmers :)

• simonz
    Options

I can confirm that your suggested workaround works:

The button lights now work as expected. Thank you.

It is just such a HUGE shame I can't use the filter function because of this catastrophic soft takeover issue.

I guess I'll just have to wait...

• simonz
    edited January 19
    Options

Bl00dy hell! Thought I'd have a quick look at the midi mode as I fancied using that to map the jog wheel/touch strip function to one of the rotary knobs (useful for lining up the start of tracks sometimes). But I can't even do that, as when you enter the MIDI mode, then exit, you come back into the next mode AFTER the one you were in, not the same mode. So go into MIDI mode from Eff1&2, and you come back in Eff3&4, and so on. Yet the modifier stays the same as it was before! So from then on, the programming work I've done is all useless. So that's something else I can't use.

are there any work-arounds so that I can come out of midi and end up back where I started, and not in the next mode?

Should I be logging these bugs anywhere? Will anything get done about them? How good are NI at sorting these things out?

• Stevan
    Options

If you check Traktor Beta section you will find all reports. (we already reported all those bugs you mentioned in this thread)

The last one (MIDI Mode exiting) is also present on F1 and that's telling.

They didn't update the Sync button issue yet (if pressed and held down for more than one second, releasing the SYNC button should not trigger the Sync feature).

• Stevan
    Options

I'm missing the "encoder touch" message" but nothing could be done about that matter. On X1 Mk2, I have touch the opposite encoder or browser encoder to enable a third message for my loop encoders.

Midi mode is also limited to a single color. Would love to see updates to that as well.

Biggest one is GUI freeze with X1 MK3 connected on my backup computer with AMD GPU PC. I cannot even use it on that computer but it is an it's last legs anyway.

• Sûlherokhh
    Options

Yeah, no touch sensitivity on the controls. Is it that more expensive? The Mk2 had it. Also ALL knobs, encoders and even the faders on the D2 have it.

• Stevan
    Options

X1 Mk2 encoders did come off easily - so maybe that is part of the reason too.

• Sûlherokhh
    Options

Now i am curious about all the design decision rationales.