Dupplicate file

Options
Cren Larvor
Cren Larvor Member Posts: 37 Member
edited January 6 in Maschine

Hello everyone, there are small details that I have a lot of trouble finding the answer to on my own, so I'll turn to you..

1. I have 4 samples in my session

2. I want to rename this sample "Rimshot heavy"

3. I don't understand why Maschine 2 put the name "Rimshot heavy - 1" because I don't have any other samples that have the same name

4. When I rename it, it gives me the error window "a file with the given name already exists", but where? When you see my sample file on my deskop, there is no sample with that name..

Could you explain to me why?

On this project there are very few samples, but on another project that I spent time on, I realized afterward that he had duplicated a certain sample in 15 different copies, so I don't know how to handle this..

Thank you so much

Tagged:

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited January 4 Answer ✓
    Options

Is there a way to change the save location of these files? Because if I understood correctly, the Documents > Native Instruments > Maschine 2 > Samples folder contains the audio files of all Maschine 2 projects, so all the samples are mixed in the file, and there are a lot.

No. Yes it gets very confusing over time and bloats the browser, unfortunately. :(

But you can add the folder where you have your original samples as a User Library in the Preferences, this way sample edit files go to that same folder instead of Maschine2>Samples.

If you save all your Projects with Samples you can then safely delete all those files in Documents > Native Instruments > Maschine 2 > Samples , but if you do be very careful and move them first to make sure, or just place them in an external HD as a backup while you test your projects.

When you say automatically, do you mean that it's up to us to delete them automatically or does Maschine have a function that allows us to keep only the last modified sample and delete the previous ones?

No, I mean the Maschine SW does it for you.

Let's say you edit Example.wav 3 times, Maschine should delete Example-1.wav and Example-2.wav but keep Example-3.wav. If a wav is not used by any pad it gets deleted. Note this is for loading existing samples, recording samples works differently i think.

Yes that's what I generally do, but the reason why I was a little lost, because "save with samples" actually creates a subfolder where the original samples are stored, and save the modifications of all the projects in Documents > Native Instruments > Maschine 2 > Samples.

Not sure what you mean by "save the modifications of all the projects in Documents > Native Instruments > Maschine 2 > Samples.", all the samples don't end up in the sub-folder?

Answers

• D-One
    edited January 4
    Options

3. I don't understand why Maschine 2 put the name "Rimshot heavy - 1" because I don't have any other samples that have the same name

When you use Sampler Edits (Normalize, truncate, fades, etc...) Maschine duplicates the file and adds a number at the end of the filename, this is because Sampler Edits are destructive. It's to preserve the original sample.

Those new versions of your sample go to: Documents > Native Instruments > Maschine 2 > Samples. Or are stored in the same folder where the original Sample is.

When quit Maschine any unused sample edits should be automatically deleted from that folder (in case you perform several destructive sample edits to the same sample)

4. When I rename it, it gives me the error window "a file with the given name already exists", but where?

Whenever confused about where a sample is, just right-click the waveform in the Sample Edit menu and select "Open in Finder/Explorer"

To alleviate some confusion you can use "Save project with Samples" as it creates a subfolder with a copy of all used samples.

• Cren Larvor
    Options

Thanks @D-One for your answer 🙏

• Those new versions of your sample go to: Documents > Native Instruments > Maschine 2 > Samples. Or are stored in the same folder where the original Sample is

Is there a way to change the save location of these files? Because if I understood correctly, the Documents > Native Instruments > Maschine 2 > Samples folder contains the audio files of all Maschine 2 projects, so all the samples are mixed in the file, and there are a lot.

• When quit Maschine any unused sample edits should be automatically deleted from that folder (in case you perform several destructive sample edits to the same sample)

When you say automatically, do you mean that it's up to us to delete them automatically or does Maschine have a function that allows us to keep only the last modified sample and delete the previous ones?

• To alleviate some confusion you can use "Save project with Samples" as it creates a subfolder with a copy of all used samples.

Yes that's what I generally do, but the reason why I was a little lost, because "save with samples" actually creates a subfolder where the original samples are stored, and save the modifications of all the projects in Documents > Native Instruments > Maschine 2 > Samples.

• D-One
    edited January 4 Answer ✓
    Options

No. Yes it gets very confusing over time and bloats the browser, unfortunately. :(

But you can add the folder where you have your original samples as a User Library in the Preferences, this way sample edit files go to that same folder instead of Maschine2>Samples.

If you save all your Projects with Samples you can then safely delete all those files in Documents > Native Instruments > Maschine 2 > Samples , but if you do be very careful and move them first to make sure, or just place them in an external HD as a backup while you test your projects.

No, I mean the Maschine SW does it for you.

Let's say you edit Example.wav 3 times, Maschine should delete Example-1.wav and Example-2.wav but keep Example-3.wav. If a wav is not used by any pad it gets deleted. Note this is for loading existing samples, recording samples works differently i think.

Not sure what you mean by "save the modifications of all the projects in Documents > Native Instruments > Maschine 2 > Samples.", all the samples don't end up in the sub-folder?

• Cren Larvor
    edited January 6
    Options

hi @D-One

>No. Yes it gets very confusing over time and bloats the browser, unfortunately. :(

Okey, I will try this methode 👍️

>No, I mean the Maschine SW does it for you.

Okey it's weird. When I edit samples, Maschine SW stacks the different versions of the edited sample without deleting the previous one (see photo), is that what you're talking about?

>Not sure what you mean by "save the modifications of all the projects in Documents > Native Instruments > Maschine 2 > Samples.", all the samples don't end up in the sub-folder?

When I "save with samples" Maschine SW, the files are stacked in the sample folder and also in the project subfolder, but without being deleted. I made an example with a project that I named "Test", I modified the same sample several times and here is what I have in the NI > samples folder AND in the Project subfolder (see photos)

• D-One
    Options

It creates multiples and then deletes the extras when you close the application. Did you close the app when you took the screenshots?

• Cren Larvor
    Options

My bad you're right, I actually didn't close the application. I see that the previous versions were deleted when Maschine SW was reopened.

• Cren Larvor
    Options

But obviously I haven't understood everything yet because I tried another example again. I created a project on Cubase with Maschine 2 in Plug-in mode, then I "Save with Sample". It created a subfolder with my samples, but then I added new samples but the folder does not update with the new samples and the new names, even when I restart my project or redo it again " save with samples". So I ask myself the question of knowing the exact function of this “Save with sample”? ..