Kontakt 7.7.3 causing Mac kerel panic crashes and reboots M2 Mac Pro (KT-8785)

Options
kron4000
kron4000 Member Posts: 6 Newcomer
edited January 12 in Kontakt

I recently updated to the current 7.73 version of Kontakt and 3.1.0 version of KK and now when I launch them it causes a kernel panic then crashes and restarts my M2 Mac Pro (13.6.3 Ventura). I've tried to reinstall Kontakt version 7.6 but it is still causing the same issue. Any idea of how I can get back to a working Kontakt and KK?

It was working great with the previous build. The only change was updating KK and Kontakt and adding in the S88MK3 with a firmware update for the MK3.

Any ideas on what's going on? Thx

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

@kron4000 Glad to hear you were able to find a solution. This has been filed as bug number KT-8785 and will be looked into.

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@kron4000 Do you have a Samsung Ultra wide screen? Two other users had a similar issue: Kontakt 7 Crashes on Mac M2 Ultra with Samsung Ultra-wide screen

• kron4000
    Options

thanks Yes I do, but it continues to crash with it connected via hdmi to hdmi, I believe this could be an issue with the Kontakt launch resize screen addition that was added in the latest release, but it’s strange that I can’t downgrade to the previous version and have a working system again. As this all started when adding the S88 MK3 and updating Kontakt and KK. I had been using the Samsung for 5 months with no issues..

its strange though that I can use Kontakt in Cubase as a vst and works normal…?

hopefully NI comes out with a fix update asap as I love the workflow on the 49” monitor and all of my other apps work great with it!

• Jeremy_NI
    edited January 8
    Options

@kron4000 We've seen a few cases, unrelated to the ultrawide screens but related to the MK3 keyboards. Can you reproduce the crash when the keyboard is not connected?

Can you try to delete this file: Macintosh HD/Users/User Name/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.cs

Note: the User Library folder is hidden. To access it, click on Go in the menu bar and press down the Alt key. You'll now find the Library entry in the menu:

Then open Kontakt again, does it still crash?

• kron4000
    Options

Unfortunately those steps did not help. This happens if the S88MK3 is hooked up or not hooked up. But it all started happening after I updated the MK3 to the current firmware.

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 845 Guru
    Options

Do you have a different monitor or an iPad, other device you can project your screen to?

In my case it didn't make a difference if I was using HDMI or Display port on my Ultrawide, it crashed regardless. I solved my issue on accident when I moved desks and started using different monitors.

• kron4000
    Options

Thanks unfortunately I don’t, hopefully NI is working on a fix for this issue. As many composers use Ultrawides..

• kron4000
    Options

Thanks I went to another monitor and just like that the issue went away. Hopefully NI is working on a fix for this asap as I love the workflow of the 49” screen.

Fyi I did notice that Cubase using a vst version of Kontakt works with the 49” and doesn’t crash.

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓
    Options

@kron4000 Glad to hear you were able to find a solution. This has been filed as bug number KT-8785 and will be looked into.

• kron4000
    Options

Great thx!

• jvanbattum
    jvanbattum Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

This is still an issue. When will it be addressed. As for now Komplete 14 is useless to me.

Mac Studio, M2, OS 14.2.1, Samsung 49 OLED Display

Launch Kontact 7 and Mac Studio reboots.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@jvanbattum Have you checked in this thread, Kontakt 7 Crashes on Mac M2 Ultra with Samsung Ultra-wide screen

One user mentions the following:

Hi! I also noticed now - after having started to use hdmi to hdmi with the Samsung monitor, that when I set it to 240 Hz, the same thing also happens; complete crash. When set to 120 (or 60) Hz, everything runs fine!

• GeneralLiabili
    GeneralLiabili Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I was having the same problem and your workaround fixed it!

Thank you!

• ZetaZan
    ZetaZan Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

My brand new mbp has been crashing at random when I'm working in Kontakt 7 in Ableton 11 & 12!
    I could try Studio One 5 and Cubase 12 & 13 too but i don't want my mac to crash too much…..
    No external devices like secondary screens or whatever.

Please help.

• ZetaZan
    ZetaZan Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

I'm on K7.10.1