What is the current installation "order" for reinstalling my S61 into a brand new DAW?

Options
Vocalpoint
Vocalpoint Member Posts: 985 Guru

I am just about to build out a new DAW for the first time in 3+ years and I just realized that I had never actually documented the "right" install order for my S61 MKII orginally - since I received it sometime after my last DAW build was already done.

I know in my excitement to get things going back in Fall of 2021 - I managed to install it just fine but cannot remember what I did or in what order - so this time - I would like to have it down so this new machine is clean and functional straight away.

The new build will have the following:

Controller: Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2

Komplete Kontrol: v3.8.0

Main DAW: Studio One 6.5.1

The S61MKII is current for firmware - so I will not need to deal with that - but a question I do have is: Are the S61MKII "drivers" (Windows) - still necessary now?

As found here:

Or this warning about the driver:

IMPORTANT: Please install this driver BEFORE connecting your Komplete Kontrol S-Series keyboard.

Found here?

Keyboards : Kontrol S49 / S61 / S88 : Downloads | Komplete (native-instruments.com)

If anyone has done a fresh recent install and can share their specific "steps" (what was installed when and why) I would truly be grateful.

Cheers

VP

Comments

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,369 mod
    edited December 2023
    Options

I can answer in the cases below, since i did this process few months ago with my new S49 MK2.

Yes, installing the drivers is a necessary step, that's why they included on every KK update.

Yes, you must install the drivers before connect the keyboard. This is standard procedure for most similar drivers anyway (first time i saw this warning in 2006 while installing my M-Audio Axiom).

You can install the DAW either before, either after the drivers installation, it is not really important. However it makes sense to not open the DAW until everything else is installed.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,752 mod
    Options

@Vocalpoint If you are already using the Komplete Kontrol keyboard with the Komplete Kontrol plug-in or in standalone, you shouldn't need to install anything new. For the host integration, there's a dedicated Studio One section in this article: How to Integrate Your Kontrol Keyboard with Your DAW

• Vocalpoint
    Options

Jeremy

Thanks for the update but I am looking for the specific "order" when I have nothing but the OS installed at this point. No software, no plugins - no nothing.

Think of it this way - if the OS Install is Phase 1 - I see this "S61 MKII" install as being somewhere in Phase 2 - the "hardware/drivers" portion of the build - where I add the chipset drivers, then the graphics drivers, LAN drivers, my audio interface, my PODxt Pro and then probably right there - the S61 MKII.

This is where I need to understand the exact steps. So is the correct order:

1. Ensure S61 MKII is unplugged
    2. Install latest Komplete Kontrol package (v3.8.0)
    3. Install the key apps (Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6) - to establish the new install
    4. Plug the S61 MKII into my usual USB port
    5. Check in Device Manager to see if keyboard appears correctly
    6. Integrate into Studio One v6 - (when I get around to installing my apps)?

OR - is this "driver package" still needed - even tho it is dated 2017?

What I am not clear on is - are the most recent (and relevant) hardware drivers for the S61 MKII - included in the Komplete Kontrol install - or does one need to install KK AND the standalone driver above?

Appreciate any additional intel on this.

Cheers

VP

• Sunborn
    edited December 2023
    Options

are the most recent (and relevant) hardware drivers for the S61 MKII - included in the Komplete Kontrol install - or does one need to install KK AND the standalone driver above

Nope! One driver only. Either manually, either through Komplete Kontrol. It is the same driver, version 5.0.0.57

Also important (not mandatory, but important):

First you install chipset drivers, graphics drivers, and all other basic computer drivers, then install audio/midi drivers.

• Vocalpoint
    Options

Perfect - so I will assume my install order is good and I will document it that way.

Cheers!

VP

• Sunborn
    Options

More or less, yes. Though there is no mandatory order really (for the audio apps), except that Graphics should always come first. This is for you, to see things in good analysis.

By the way: Komplete Kontrol package (v3.8.0)?????? When? Where? How? ...yesterday last version was 3.1.0 :-)

• Vocalpoint
    Options

Oops My bad.

Meant to say Native Access v3.8.0 and Komplete Kontrol v2.9.6 (for me here)

VP