How can I install plug-ins as VST2 rather than VST3? Using Reason 11, need VST2s.

dwafford13
dwafford13 Member Posts: 5 Newcomer
edited 9:16AM in Native Access

I'm using Reason 11, and as far as I can tell, plug-ins must be VST2, not VST3. I think NI is installing the instruments I'm trying to use as VST3s, because Reason is not recognizing them.

Tagged:

Answers

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,622 mod

A lot of the more recently updated NI plugins are VST3 only unfortunately. You could try using something like BlueCat Patchwork which runs as a VST but hosts VST3 plugins internally. It's not ideal, but it's a workaround - Blue Cat's PatchWork - Fully Configurable Plug-Ins Chainer and Multi FX / Standalone Host or Plug-In (bluecataudio.com)

Not that much cheaper than the current £99 upgrade price for Reason though.

-- Mike

• dwafford13

Thanks for the advice. I upgraded to Reason 12 in order to be able to use VST3s, but I still can't get them to work. I loaded Kontakt and Kontakt 7 successfully, and they will install as instruments in my project. But when I try to load a patch into them, the instrument VST file folders appear, but the "instruments" subfolder is empty, and I can't find anything loadable in any of the subfolders.

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,622 mod

Have you run Kontakt as a standalone app first? If not give that a go. If you've done that do you see all the patches and can you load them?

-- Mike

• dwafford13

Yes, I can run it as a standalone and the instruments appear and work properly. Still no joy inside Reason, though.

• dwafford13

I ran explorer and discovered that the instrument nki file is present in the Content folder, but the Reason Browser doesn't show the file when I open that folder. I tried dragging the nki file into Kontakt and Reactor (inside the Reason project), but got the error message that the file type is not supported.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 4,628 mod

If you are on Mac have you given Reason full disk access?

• dwafford13

Sorry, I should have said earlier, I'm on a PC running Windows 10.

This discussion has been closed.