Guitar Rig 6 - Windows 11 issue.

Options
Fero
Fero Member Posts: 6 Newcomer

Hi, 

I have a Yamaha THR5A with Yamaha Steinberg USB driver (ver.2.1.6.) 

But after updating to Windows 11 there is only terrible sound you can find in the attachment when I open Guitar Rig 6.2.4.

Whatever preset I select. I tried to change settings of ASIO latency or sample rate. Nothing helps.

Everything was perfect on Windows 10.

Even older Guitar Rig 4 is working well with Windows 11 there is issue only with Guitar Rig 6. It means there is no issue with diver or Yamaha THR5A.

Please tell me how I can fix this issue.

This is frustrating becasue I want to use Guitar Rig 6 with Windows 11.

Thank you in advance.

Best Answers

• silentio246
    silentio246 Member Posts: 33 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

"I spent a few hours playing with GR6. I noticed the terrible sound starts when the CPU Load % is close or above 100%. I don't understand exactly what this CPU % on the right top corner of the user interface shows but my real computer CPU activity that time is just abow 4-5%. I have a gaming PC that is designed for much more workload. Is it possible that it causes the issue? I don't see behind the curtain. "

It seems, you have a multicore cpu in your PC. GR6 is only working on one core. Check that in the resource monitor in Win11.

Did you switch Win11 to "Maximum Power Profile " after installation ?

• Fero
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you silentio246 for your excellent hint 🙏. Changing power mode in power plan option to balanced CPU in GR6 decreased to acceptable 20-30% while the power saver mode is constantly about 100% of CPU. I don't really understand how this affects the Windows CUP settings but the sound is nice again.

Thank you for your support.

BTW I have a desktop PC but for notebooks it is common to save battery. It can be tricky for many users. Multi core CPU is in many computers as well.  

Answers

• Fero
    Options

I installed trial Guitar Rig 7. It looks to be working well.

When I tried to import a preset from GR6. Some presets are not working at all in GR7 there is just an error message. But one of my favorite preset in the attachement makes the horrible noise in GR7 as well. 

It seems there is something wrong with GR6 presets on Windows 11.

Could you please fix GR6? 

• Fero
    Options

here is the mentioned sound

• Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 1,942 Guru
    Options

It's better to just manually duplicate the preset from GR6.

Speaking from experience.

• Fero
    Options

Thank you Milos for your response. Could you please tell me more details about your suggestion? I don’t understand how can help me, if I duplicate something that is not working correctly.

• Eddie_NI
    Eddie_NI Product Team Posts: 357 mod
    Options

Can you try using Guitar Rig as a plugin inside a DAW? Does it work there?

This really sounds like a audio driver problem to me.

• Fero
    Options

Hi, I have no DAW software license. But before I start examining my possibilities with DAW plugins. I am not sure whether it is an audio driver issue, if GR5 is working without any issue and GR7 has an issue only with some presets. Contacting software or driver owners is not an easy job these days. They are busy to response and they like Microsoft bugs like me.

I spent a few hours playing with GR6. I noticed the terrible sound starts when the CPU Load % is close or above 100%. I don't understand exactly what this CPU % on the right top corner of the user interface shows but my real computer CPU activity that time is just abow 4-5%. I have a gaming PC that is designed for much more workload. Is it possible that it causes the issue? I don't see behind the curtain. 

When I switch off several preset components the % is going down and the scraping sound disappears. But without those components the sound is boring and it doesn't make sense to me to use GR6.

Using demo GR7 the CPU% is much lower. But from time to time it approaches 100% and for a short time it makes a scratchy sound. What is important to mention is the CPU % is high regardless of whether any instrument or cable is connected. It is overloaded without any input signal.

I understand NI companie isn't responsible for problems caused by Win11, if everything was working fine in Win10 but I try to understand the issue before I step back to Win10. Fixing this issue could be useful for many users facing the same issues.

Maybe the best recommendation would be to upgrade to GR7 but I paid a lot of money for the GR6 licence just a few months ago. Average salary in our country is about 1000 EUR. Spending money just for a software issue is nonsense for me.

Thank you in advance for your support.

• silentio246
    Answer ✓
    Options

"I spent a few hours playing with GR6. I noticed the terrible sound starts when the CPU Load % is close or above 100%. I don't understand exactly what this CPU % on the right top corner of the user interface shows but my real computer CPU activity that time is just abow 4-5%. I have a gaming PC that is designed for much more workload. Is it possible that it causes the issue? I don't see behind the curtain. "

It seems, you have a multicore cpu in your PC. GR6 is only working on one core. Check that in the resource monitor in Win11.

Did you switch Win11 to "Maximum Power Profile " after installation ?

• Eddie_NI
    Options

Ah, that explains the problem and the noise you are getting. For some reason your cpu can't handle these presets anymore. The problem seems to be that Windows 11 is now somehow throttling your CPU. As proposed in the post above, please check your power/energy settings in Windows 11.

• Fero
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you silentio246 for your excellent hint 🙏. Changing power mode in power plan option to balanced CPU in GR6 decreased to acceptable 20-30% while the power saver mode is constantly about 100% of CPU. I don't really understand how this affects the Windows CUP settings but the sound is nice again.

Thank you for your support.

BTW I have a desktop PC but for notebooks it is common to save battery. It can be tricky for many users. Multi core CPU is in many computers as well.  

• Eddie_NI
    Options

These settings directly affect how much Windows is allowing your cpu to utilize its full capacity. The cpu is not running at full speed all the time, only when it needs to, but Windows can limit what "full speed" actually means.

• silentio246
    edited December 2023
    Options

For demanding realtime audio applications it is necessary, to optimize your Windows machine, which on default is in some sort of "power saving mode", good for office work etc..

Here are some optimizing tips from Focusrite:

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/de/articles/4408057193362-Optimieren-des-PCs-f%C3%BCr-Audio-unter-Windows-11#

🙏