Native Instruments Kontrol S61 MK3 - Reaper Integration

Options
Tephrosis
Tephrosis Member Posts: 4 Newcomer

Hello guys,

I recently bought the afore mentioned device, but I can't get the hardware (S61 MK3) linked to the software (Reaper). They keys, the screen etc are working. But all transport buttons are not linked. They are not even lit up. I want full DAW control, so I can optimise my workflow.

Is there any way to get this up and running? I already tried ReaKontrol trough Reapack and DrivenByMoss4Reaper, but don't work. I think they work for the MK2, because I've seen dosen of video's where it does work.

Can anyone help me here? Thanks for your time ;)

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

There's no pan for a Reaper integration. Only these DAWs are supported:

(from our products pages)

Answers

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,747 mod
    edited December 2023
    Options

The MOSS scripts don't support MkIII yet, still early days and they have a lot of differences from the older models

You could probably use MCU mode though (that's what I use for other unsupported hosts like Reason), you won't get 'deep integration' but will at least get transport functions working.

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,363 mod
    Options

Currently MK3 is not fully integrated with Reaper

So, you need to integrate it by using the MCU protocol by select the MCU / Mackie Control Universal as the device and set your Midi ports to Komplete Kontrol DAW.

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/4406832231441

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓
    Options

There's no pan for a Reaper integration. Only these DAWs are supported:

(from our products pages)

• overlord25
    overlord25 Member Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I would implore NI to reconsider the stance on Reaper integration, your Q&A back in September stated that Reaper would be added as a supported DAW, there are many Reaper users out there, some of whom have made purchases based on this premise, the quote is (pasted below), it saddens me that once again community based solutions end up being the only way to fully use NI hardware!, and this is also a severe negative in terms of accessibility.

Chris_NIProduct TeamPosts: 7mod

September 18

defyosefSep 13, 2023

What are these "major DAWs" there are going to be integrations with? Does Reaper count?

Kontrol S-Series MK3 supports the following DAWs:

Logic Pro

Ableton Live

Bitwig

Digital Performer

Studio One

FL Studio

Pro Tools “Support coming in late 2023”

Cubase “Support coming in late 2023”

Yes Reaper counts, we are in early discussions with the team at Reaper, but cannot commit to a timeline yet when it will be released.

But it is in the works, as the next DAW we integrate with.

• Jeremy_NI
    edited February 9
    Options

@overlord25 Host integration with a DAW is not only a NI decision, it also requires some decisions and work from the DAW's company. For example, the host integration for Pro Tools came a few months ago through a Pro Tools update.

• overlord25
    Options

Ok thank you, I take from this that Cockos were invited to add DAW integration and the protocols and information was made available to them, Reaper has a very proactive update schedule so it surprises me that they were not onboard for this.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@overlord25 I was not part of these conversations, I'm not assuming anything to this particular subject. I just wanted to point out that it's not just NI deciding this as it requires a collaboration between both parties. I'm not saying in any case that Cockos refused anything. This implementation requires time and effort, every company or developer has to juggle with priorities. My only point was that it's not just NI and if you want more information on that you could also reach out to them.

• overlord25
    Options

NO problem Jeremy, we have some good connections with the team over at Cockos so will make some enquiries to see where we stand, just perplexing as to how we went from "it is in the works, as the next DAW we integrate with", to "no planned integration", and thus many disappointed MK3/Reaper customers.

I'm sure there are no barriers to the availability of the required information from NI, afterall it is in everybody's interest to get this done, at the end of the day, Happy Reaper users, more potential customers for the MK3!

• JMetzgerMusic
    JMetzgerMusic Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
    Options
    Just want to sound off, I am one of those who (happily) bought this keyboard largely on the stated premise of full Reaper integration to come. It would be pretty frustrating for that statement to now be inaccurate without reason.
  • Kymeia
    edited February 18
    Options

There are 2 Reaper extensions that work with the MkII, I would be very surprised if MOSS isn't at least considering how best to develop a MKIII implementation but I doubt it's an easy process as much is new. Like a lot of things in Reaper, Cockos themselves have never developed these sorts of deeper integration themselves, relying mainly on standard MIDI protocols such as MCU, but that's exactly why they allow for extensions

The DrivenBy Moss extension for Bitwig does a lot more than the NI/Bitwig created one anyway - so probably that would also be true of any Reaper version

• JMetzgerMusic
    Options

Gotcha, and I appreciate the reply. However, as it stands currently, an official NI or Moss extension is neither guaranteed at all, let alone soon. I now find myself looking to when Cubase goes on sale so I can use this keyboard as intended lol...

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 606 Pro
    Options

What do you mean "when Cubase goes on sale"? I'm a bit confused.

• Kymeia
    edited February 26
    Options
  • JMetzgerMusic
    Options

Hey, I was just saying that if I can't get the keyboard to work with Reaper I'd switch to Cubase (and hopefully purchase it during their summer sale). However, the post above happily may mean that is not necessary!

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 606 Pro
    Options

I gotcha, thanks.

BTW, Cubase 13 is pretty powerful, even moreso with Wavelab.