Massive - How to set the default browser view when the plugin opens?

Options
wayfinder
wayfinder Member Posts: 366 Guru
edited December 2023 in Massive X & Synths

Massive does not seem to want to remember my preferred browser state, and every time I start a new project, I have to switch from the looking glass mode to sounds, then sometimes wait a few seconds for the list to populate, then scroll through all the (opened by default!) expansions I have, find the folder I want in My Massive, and then also the columns are reset to the program's defaults that I don't want, so I have to change them as well. sometimes, if I add further instances of Massive to the project after getting the first one in order, those will remember some settings, like the startup folder, but not others (like the columns arrangement).

This behavior appears to be a regression - earlier versions of Massive remembered the browser state and started up with my last-used folder selected and the columns as I last had them.

Can I somehow get Massive's browser to remember the state in which i want it to open?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

@wayfinder As my colleague probably mentioned, the bug was reproduced and filed under this reference: (MSV-1645). It's now in the hands of the developers. There is no ETA for a fix at the moment.

Answers

• Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 1,924 Guru
    Options

Hmm...as far as I know, there is no way to set the state of the browser you like inside Massive.

But...if you use a DAW for Massive, there might be a way!

Open Massive inside the daw, then make any kind of state as you like, and then right-click on the track and then click on the Save As Track Template, then give it any name, and I am pretty sure it will save every detail, even the state, and then you can open that track template!

It can work for any plugin (Kontakt, Reaktor, Battery...you name it)

Speaking from experience:

I use a DAW called Cakewalk, and every time I want to save the certain state of any plugin, then I right-click on the track to click the Save As Track Template.

Then i give it a name, and boom!

It is saved on that state!

Let me know if it works.

• wayfinder
    Options

Unfortunately, this did not work. Live has a corresponding function, but it does not save these things - which I don't think is Live's fault here, I'm fairly sure these just aren't exposed as recallable parameters by the plugin. I wonder whether it works in your Cakewalk though...

• Milos
    Options

It works perfectly!

And what is better is that Cakewalk is free!

• wayfinder
    Options

You've tested this with Massive, and it remembers the column setup in the sounds browser between sequencer sessions that way, and which folder was selected? could you perhaps make the .cwx file available so that I could take a look at how they do it?

• Milos
    Options

With Massive, I did not, but I tested it with litteraly every plugin I have from NI and Spitfire and nearly every other brand I could.

When it comes to the folder, you need to go to the media (right beside the plugins section), the rest is shown here:

Go to the track templates (if you saved them here), then open the name of the saved track you just saved.

Let me know if this helped.

• wayfinder
    edited December 2023
    Options

Please don't say it works perfectly if you have not actually tested it! I got my hopes up. That's not helpful at all - this is a thing you cannot extrapolate! Do you have Massive, or maybe FM8 (same problem)?

There are two options for this sort of thing in Live:

1. creating a default configuration - that saves none of the internals of the plugin, just the setup around it in Live (e.g., which plugin parameters are made available through Live's native GUI). it doesn't even save the state of the parameters or the preset that's loaded.

2. saving the state of the plugin by dragging it into a folder. this saves a .ALS file which can be dragged into a project from the browser and will contain the plugin with the parameters all set the way they were, but critically, NOT the configuration of Massive's browser.

• Milos
    Options

Oh...ok...

For my Cakewalk's Track Template, I saved any kind of plugin from any brand, then I saved it with any name typed, then I opened it again and boom! Everything was the same as I saved it!

But again, glad your options can help you out!

• wayfinder
    Options

My options in Live cannot help me out! You are not reading what I am writing correctly.

I just installed Cakewalk to test it, and I can confirm that the Track Template DOES NOT restore the browser config in Massive.

Sorry to say, your proposed method does not help.

• Milos
    Options

Oh...sorry then...

• Milos
    Options

I tested on many plugins this feature and it worked.

How could not work with Massive?

• Milos
    Options

Once again, sorry.

• wayfinder
    edited December 2023
    Options

It saves the plugin parameter state - it's equivalent to my option 2 in Live. but apparently, the browser state is not saved with the plugin state, and while Massive USED to keep track of it before, it now doesn't any more.

Dear NI people, is there a specific file in which this sort of thing is saved? maybe some wires got crossed and it's not writeable any longer? or did you change this deliberately perhaps?

• wayfinder
    Options

is it possible to downgrade Massive? I'd prefer this working over the recent bugfixes, even if those happened after reports by me :)

• wayfinder
    Options

I found this page and tried to install version 1.5.1, but that did not work - when I started the app, it was still 1.5.12+31

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/downloads/update-manager/?q=massive&t=updates

• wayfinder
    edited December 2023
    Options

..and now I can't repair the install with Native Access. When I tried to click repair, it only offered relocate or reinstall, so i chose reinstall, which it would not do, instead it told me to review my location preferences, and now the entry in NA looks like this: