Why are there no sound in my project with NI?

Options
Chong
Chong Member Posts: 65 Member

I have an Ableton Live project with a bunch Komplete Kontrol instrument tracks. When I press the play button, there is no sound at all. If I drag and drop Komplete Kontrol to a new track and select an instrument, it works. However, all my existing NI are no longer playing. It seems like all my existing instruments are no longer linked to my project even though it still shows in my track that Komplete Kontrol is there. Any help in getting this to work without manually relinking each track to its original instrument is appreciated.

Answers

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,388 mod
    Options

More details needed. Maybe you made them originally with an older version of KK or maybe you used VST2 instrument and now you use VST3? ...some screen shots maybe helpful too

• Chong
    Options

Here's a quick video capture of this sample project that has the issue of no sound from the existing tracks but when I dragged another KK instrument into the track, it has sound.

• Sunborn
    edited November 2023
    Options

i see... ok, maybe is my imagination, but, that Komplete Kontrol 5 track (for example), while it shows that it has midi data, i can't see a loaded instrument on it!

Without a loaded instrument, midi data does not produce sound, as you probably know, so open that KK instance (the KK 5 track) and see if it has a loaded instrument on it!

Check all those 3 tracks. Each one must have a loaded instrument on it. Your video shows nothing about those channels, only the new instances.

• Chong
    Options

This is what all those three tracks showed.

If this does not mean that it has an instrument loaded then something must have happened because it was working perfectly fine the last time it was saved. So the question is, why or what causes it to lose the instrument?

• Sunborn
    edited November 2023
    Options

I am not an Ableton expert, i use Cubase, however i know some basic things and i can make music with Ableton.

So, loading a KK instance doesn't mean anything, if you don't load an instrument inside it.

You need to open the KK interface to see if there is a loaded instrument there, it is the first and most obvious thing to do, but you are doing everything else except that! :-)

So, please click there to open the interface and see if it has an instrument loaded!

As for about the question, why or what causes it to lose the instrument (if it lost) it could be a number of reasons. But the most obvious is that you made the track with a VST2 version and now you use VST3.

• Chong
    Options

Thanks for the help. Okay, so it seemed that for whatever reason it is, KK lost the link to the actual instruments that is why when I play there is no sound because there is no instrument linked in the KK. All the instruments are still there but KK failed to link to it. Any way to tell what the last saved instrument that was linked in the KK? It would best if KK can automatically relink but if not, I like to know what instrument I need to manually relink them. I assumed at this point, may have lost any settings I've in KK too. So, going forward, how do I prevent something like this from happening?

• Sunborn
    Options

I suggest that you make 2 versions of your projects (just copy them as backup somewhere) because maybe this can be fixed in a future update. Then open the Ableton project file one by one with a text editor, and search in it. I can not guarantee it will work in Ableton project, but it works for a Cubase project.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,873 mod
    Options

@Chong Were these old projects made with the VST2 version of Komplete Kontrol? Unfortunately there is no automativc migration from vst2 to vst3 in Ableton. Make sure to use the AU or VST3 version of Komplete Kontrol.