Will Novation Launchkey 61 MK3 be sensitive enough to use Session Strings 2 correctly?

Options

Hello,

I am setting up my first ever Home Studio amongst the 5 plug-ins I definitely have to get 4 are Native Instruments - amongst them Electric Sunburst Deluxe as well Session Strings 2. I have watched the walkthroughs and other review videos, and what I like particularly is the ability to control the sound of the instrument via the pressure applyed to the keys.

I haven't decided on the MIDI controller yet, but I very much like Novation Launchkey 61 MK3, or it's more expensive big brother Novation 61 SL MK III.

My question is: will the Novation Launchkey Mk3, which has velocity sensitive synth action keys, be good enough for me to be able to use the features in session strings - what do I need to get the SL Mk3 to have better quality keys (semi-weighted, individual sensor synth-action with aftertouch)?

Before anyone tells me to buy the Komplete Kontrol S series MIDI - I don't like it at all! It doesn't have any faders, any pads, any easy assignment to knobs; everything goes through the little computer screen on the MIDI, and the reason I am getting a MIDI is specifically not to have to do everything on a computer screen! So kind of counterproductive, in my opinion... The keys and integration might be great, but the concept sucks.

I have looked into Arturia as well, but apparently their keys are same level or lower quality than Novation.

Help!! Anyone that has used Session Strings with a Novation Launchkey MK3 or SL MKIII - give me your input about this!

Answers

• ShelLuser
    ShelLuser Member Posts: 240 Pro
    Options

Welcome!

Late reaction, but oh well... So, first things first: are you also going to be using a DAW to control all this? Because playing instruments is one thing, but you may also want to record your takes. If this is the case then you should first make sure that your DAW also supports the MIDI controller you plan on using.

Anyway, Session Strings and Kontakt. What features do you plan on using? See, Kontakt is first and foremost a sampler; an instrument. And therefor it doesn't provide the same kind of support for MIDI controllers in the same way a DAW would. Take for example the control buttons and color feedback on the launchkey; that's something Kontakt won't provide by itself. So while you will be able to play the keyboard and use those buttons to control parameters within Kontakt it won't be the same experience.

Which is why a DAW will definitely make a difference. Just check the product page for the Launchkey 25 Mk3: designed for Ableton Live. And fun fact: Kontakt can be made to work in pretty much any DAW you'd like:

... in fact: I wouldn't be surprised if Novation didn't provide a lite version of Live that goes with their products. Unsure though!

My question is: will the Novation Launchkey Mk3, which has velocity sensitive synth action keys, be good enough for me to be able to use the features in session strings - what do I need to get the SL Mk3 to have better quality keys (semi-weighted, individual sensor synth-action with aftertouch)?

It should be. I think that you're referring to with "controling by applying pressure" is aftertouch though from what I can find on the product page this isn't mentioned. Yet velocity sensitive action keys... not sure what to make of that: this could be a specific Novation feature.

Either way, based on what I've read about it this should definitely be good enough to get the most out of Kontant IMO.

Hope this can still help!

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 845 Guru
    edited November 2023
    Options

I only picked up Session Strings 2 a few days ago. I'm on the S61 MK3 but looking at the config screen for SS2, while it does support velocity sensitivity via keys or modwheel, It does not appear to support aftertouch, which is a bit disappointing. This seems to be backed by a quick test I just did in Kontakt 7.

But to the OP's question, it seems like any MIDI keyboard that has velocity sensitive keys should work fine with Session Strings 2. Can't say I disagree with you on the sliders though. Lot of blank real estate on the S61... shame they couldn't have added some faders, or extra knobs... something. On the plus side, the upper right makes for a nice place to put my Mac keyboard πŸ˜‚

• jaguarjackie
    jaguarjackie Member Posts: 5 Newcomer
    Options

Thank you both for your answers!

I will be using Cubase as my DAW - I didn't even know there was a difference in running the plugins via the DAW or directly. I will also have Ableton lite, as that comes with the Novation MIDIs.

I am really leaning towards the Novation Launchkey MK3 - if the keybed will be enough for Session Strings, there is no need for me to dish out 300€ extra for the hardware-related features in the Novation SL MK3 (though their led-lights are very nice indeed πŸ˜†).

The Launchkey doesn't even have aftertouch, so that not being a feature is Session Strings 2 is good news, actually!

I did not mean aftertouch by the "control by applying pressure", I meant the "velocity" control - in Session Strings 2 you can define weather your sound will be legato, portamento, staccato etc by opposed settings and the pressure you apply to the keys - low pressure gives one thing, high pressure transforms the sound into another effect. So not holding down the key (as in aftertouch), but how hard it is pressed in the instant.

Yeah, that is brilliant - the keyboard on top of the Komplete Kontrol S! Or a place for the cat to sleep..πŸ˜‚ But that wouldn't work for me - I have a big tervueren dog! 🀣

• jaguarjackie
    jaguarjackie Member Posts: 5 Newcomer
    Options

I got the Launchkey 49 MK3, and it is very good. The keys are good!

Just a few days in, so I haven't had time to learn all the functions. However, it seems that most of my Native Intruments plugins (and I really love how good they sound!) have severe issues with Cubase. I have the free Ableton Live Lite (8 tracks max - came with the keyboard and the Interface) and I have the trial 60 day pro version of Cubase 13.

I downloaded both Kontakt and Kontakt 7, and both have issues in Cubase - some instruments of " Cuba" unavailable in Kontakt, but others are only in Kontakt 7! Kontakt opens in a mini-mini window (see screenshot)

where you can't really read the text or use the cursor, and it can't be resized!!! In Kontakt 7 some intruments are there, but functions (knobs and sliders in the software) are unresponsive, and Electric sunburst Deluxe just straight refuses to load!

Ableton does better with all of them. The missing instruments in Cuba are an issue there too, and sometimes the Native plugins won't load at all.

I just wonder - is there any DAW that works well with Native plugins? I'd like to go with Cubase, as it is said to be the best for vocals, and I will not be making loops and "ultra-modern" music, so the session view is useless to me.

Or is there some programming for me to do in the DAW to teach Cubase and Kontakt 7 to get along?