Plugins opened in Komplete Kontrol 3.0.0 don't load

Options
2»

Answers

• Quinton L
    Quinton L Member Posts: 7 Newcomer
    Options

As it turns out, I was using VST2s without knowing it. FL Studio automatically selected VST2s for some reason for a select group of projects over the last few years. I made a few posts in the "Feedback - Komplete Kontrol 3.0" thread before tripping over the cause of my issue.

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/comment/105552#Comment_105552

-----

For me, this seems to be a VST2 issue that was exposed by the upgrade to KK3.

With regards to FL Studio's idiosyncrasies, on Windows it is possible to have 32 and 64 bit versions of both VST2 and VST3 instruments. FL Studio's default settings would scan the default locations for all variations of VSTs. If you had all four (32-bit VST2, 64-bit VST2, 32-bit VST3, 64-bit VST3) instead of displaying each when picking an instrument, it would show only one. In the case of Komplete Kontrol, it combined the VST2 and VST3 64-bit VSTs as a single Komplete Kontrol instrument.

For some, not all, projects over the last two years, the Komplete Kontrol VST it chose was the VST2 version for some reason. When KK3 installed, the VST2 version of KK was removed. FL Studio still recognized Komplete Kontrol as a valid plugin and swapped in the new VST3 instrument. All of the libraries are there, but VST2 presets are not compatible with VST3 which is why no library is selected in the project.

As part of my testing, I made a copy of a project that I now know has VST2 instances of KK2. I changed FL Studio to unbundle the plugins, rescanned the library, cloned the track, set the track to use KK2, verified that the cloned track was now using VST3 version of KK, and manually set the library instrument to match the VST2 version. I then upgraded to KK3. The VST2 tracks were all broken but my new VST3 track in the project worked as intended.

Given the massive complexity of Native Instruments and the libraries within, I don't think a VST2 to VST3 preset conversion tool is on the horizon. I've seen a few hackish attempts elsewhere for single instruments made by other companies years ago, so a possibility of a conversion utility for KK seems extremely unlikely.

Since the writing has been on the wall for VST2s since around 2008, I've marked all of my projects since purchasing "KOMPLETE ULTIMATE Collectors Stupendous WILDCARD Edition" in June of 2021 for review. I'll have to open each one, check it, clone impacted tracks, select the library instrument from the VST2 track, and delete the VST track. Thankfully, I'm a talentless hack who didn't make too many adjustments to most of the instrument defaults. For someone who was really tweaking for a particular sound, this is going to be very painful.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,863 mod
    Options

For me, this seems to be a VST2 issue that was exposed by the upgrade to KK3.

I don't think KK3 adds the VST2 paths by default so that may be the issue, it would be necessary for the user to add them then scan VST2 plugins into the database before attempting to load old projects containing VST2s. Also on Mac they will need to be in Rosetta mode