Any reports of System Overloads in Logic after installing KK 3.0.0?

Options

Since installing KK 3.0.0 this morning on a Mac Studio M1, I have continually received system overload errors when playing projects with previously saved tracks using KK 2.x.x. I am running Logic 10.7.9 and these same projects ran without issue yesterday. The only thing changed on this machine is KK 3.0.0.

Yes, my I/O buffer size is set to 1024.

Just curious if there have been any other reports.

Thanks!

Comments

• Raven586
    Raven586 Member Posts: 27 Member
    Options

I'm getting system overloads on Cubase 12 and Logic since I upgraded this morning too.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,639 Expert
    edited October 2023
    Options

Here, let me fill you in on this one...

In my testing of KK V3 I noted not just a 30% increase of the actual plugins memory footprint but overall higher CPU usage, This is easier to notice on an older computer which is how I always test so I can see things like this.

KK was designed back in the day to be as lean and efficient as possible, perfect German engineering and this worked so well.

Seems now the focus is not on efficiency (but rushing $h!t to market) and of course being the first release it will likely need to be tuned a bit (cough, a lot) but I stated in the Beta clearly that given the higher memory and CPU usage this would cause users with larger projects to now fail. I was ignored.

So every instance now of KK requires more of the computers power to run which when added up over many instances will probably kill your project.

If possible stick to KK v2 for the moment, V3 is quite clearly rushed, untested and not fit for release yet from my personal tests but the keyboards are already being sold so I guess it's the usual corporate thing of release it now, make some money and let users find the bugs. Seems to work for Bethesda...

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 920 mod
    Options

What's your system configuration?

And for the session itself, how many instances of KK do you have?

• Matthew_NI
    Options

What's your system configuration?

And for the session itself, how many instances of KK do you have?

• Matthew_NI
    Options

Sigh.

You know it wasn't rushed, nor was it untested. You also know that beta is a confidential privilege, and this tack isn't productive, nor helpful.

Where certain issues were found, and found to be reproducible, they were filed, and fixed, or scheduled for upcoming fixes.

As per my questions for the others here, we'll continue to diagnose and treat where things emerge.

• Raven586
    Options

I just got rid of all instances of KK and Kontakt ( Which I also updated this morning ) in my project. And now there are no more spikes so I'm pretty sure it's one or the other.

Here are my Specs Mac Mini running 256gb hard drive and 8gig ram. I'm running multiple instances of UAD plugins with no problem about 40 tracks and Most of them are converted to Audio.

I was keeping some midi files unless I needed them. They were running Get Good drums in Kontakt and muted.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,639 Expert
    Options

Sigh

That is the same feeling I have waiting for things we asked for to be considered only to have something completely different served up and expected to just like it.

You know it wasn't rushed, 

No, I don't know that at all. Everything I have seen at the end user level screams this is a rushed job. Sure, people may have plugged away on the software for a year+ but I don't have a clue what happens back there (no one ever does) and can only go based off what I see happen out here.

From my POV as a user it seemed to me there were some leaks on the hardware side big enough to warrant a need to drop official word earlier than expected. Users started to end up with hardware in their hands ahead of time and so the software HAD to be pushed out ahead of schedule. That is how it has appeared to me watching how it all unfolded anyway so seems like it was possibly rushed.

Anyway, not wanting to derail this thread, just wanted to warn those with large projects that from my testing (which I cannot confirm with the now released version as I am not installing it) it appears from what I could see that a significant amount of additional resources are needed over a larger number of plugins which would likely make projects with many instances a problem and no doubt cause frustration.

• Raven586
    Options

I Just set up a new session in Cubase 12 With Kontakt and Komplete Kontrol and both work fine. So I'm thinking there was some kind of bug in my original work that I had done. Because in a clean new session every thing seems fine ?

• Matthew_NI
    Options

Do you mean about 40 tracks of KK? How many tracks did you have KK on?

What version of macOS?

Is MIDI 1 or MIDI 2 enabled in your Logic settings?

• Matthew_NI
    Options

I would expect everything be fine as you're seeing here. So I'm keen to figure out the underlying symptom.

• Matthew_NI
    Options

OK - your POV is understandable, but here's what I can confidently say. Appreciate you seeking not to derail. Hope this helps shed some light:

• The leak (images scraped by Google Shopping) happened in late August, as we began to load assets into our retail channel because we were preparing to launch the product.
    • Inventory began to ship to retailers in August / September, embargoed until the launch date.
    • The announcement and pre-order went ahead as scheduled in early September.
    • Inventory continued to ship to retailers throughout September, ready for our October launch.
    • Some retails got a little trigger happy, and sold early units not intended for the general public.
    • Those units had to be recalled (see: not for general sale) and we've been proactively communicating this to the 20 or so affected users.
    • At no point was the solution ever to rush the software out to meet an unintended early shipment.
    • The software is shipping on the intended schedule, a few days ahead of the correct inventory shipping to end users.

Hardware launches are tightly choreographed months and months ahead of time. Manufacturing began in Q2. A minor leak of an image a few weeks ahead of time does nothing to change that schedule.

• Raven586
    Options

This was 40 tracks of audio and 2 tracks of Kontakt running Get Good Drums. It was also in Cubase 12 not Logic.I also had Native instruments Ashlight running in KK on another session in Cubase 12 and it was overloading too.

I'm running OSX Sonoma. Latest version.

• LarryB
    LarryB Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
    Options

I can chime in with similar problems. I'm using a 2019 MacBook Pro running Sonoma 14.0 and the latest version of Logic Pro (10.7.9). With just three tracks (Rhodes VX, Komplete Kontrol) and some Waves Mastering Plug-Ins. The project predates my installation of Komplete Kontrol 3.0.0.

I'm getting two kinds of errors. The first is a synchronization error, the second is a system overload warning.

I wasn't getting either of these errors before the Komplete Kontrol 3.0 update.

Any ideas would be of great help. Thanks.

• LarryB
    LarryB Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
    Options

PS: My MacBook Pro has 64 GB of 2667 MHz DDR4 RAM. Memory shouldn't be an issue.

• AbbateEntertainment
    AbbateEntertainment Member Posts: 19 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Mac Studio (2022), M1 Ultra, 64GB mem, 585g/1TB HD space available, Ventura 13.6

Smallest project I've tested so far has 7 instances of KK currently tracked out of 8 total tracks. The only other plugins added were two instances of Raum and one instance of Logic's ChromaVerb.