Why no retrospective compatibility with Guitar Rig7?

Options
edmoris
edmoris Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

I used guitar Rig 5 as an effects bus, as the vintage reverb plugin was excellent, especially when combined with the control room amp/room modeller. Considering it has been not only discontinued, but now doesn't work at all on Mac silicon / Ventura, why is there no backwards compatibility with Guitar Rig 7? It's supposed to be an upgrade right? I would have thought that seeing as it is an upgrade, there should be more stuff, but it seems like a lot of the functionality has been removed. Seeing as NI is not letting me use the software I bought and paid for, I would have thought that making sure customers can at least use GR7 to load the previous patches is the very least that NI could do. Now I have to load my projects on an old computer and bounce any stems that use this reverb bus. If someone can tell me how to get a similar setup to Vintage Reverb + Control room, that might be a workaround. Thanks

Comments

• Eddie_NI
    Eddie_NI Product Team Posts: 357 mod
    Options

Hi @edmoris

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are asking for. Vintage Reverb and Control Room are both part of Guitar Rig 7. You can import Guitar Rig 5 presets to Guitar Rig 7 with the File->Import menu.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Eddie

• edmoris
    edited October 2023
    Options

Thank you I will look into this, I was only using the player which clearly doesn't have all the bells and whistles, given your advice I have now upgraded to GR7Pro. However this doesn't really answer my query. My question was more about retrospective compatibility. Because GR5 still loads, but is incompatible, it doesn't even show me what my setting was, so to do what you are suggesting I have to load the project on an old computer with GR5 still operational, so that I can either screenshot and manually replicate my GR5 settings in GR7, or save as a preset, find where that preset is located on my computer, email it to myself and import. In my ideal world, when I have GR7 but load a project with a GR5 setting, it shouldn't load an incompatible piece of software that holds out hope that I can use it - only in demo mode - but it should load the equivalent setting on GR7, ideally automatically, but perhaps with a prompt asking me if that's what I want to do. Any chance that's going to happen? Cheers Ed

• Eddie_NI
    Eddie_NI Product Team Posts: 357 mod
    Options

I'm sorry to say, but we can't automatically replace the Guitar Rig 5 plugin with a Guitar Rig 7 plugin within your DAW session. They are separate products and considered as such by your DAW.

The only feasible way I see to replace Guitar Rig 5 with Guitar Rig 7 in your projects is indeed to export the presets from Guitar Rig 5 and import them into Guitar Rig 7.

I'm sorry that there is no other way to do this, but unfortunately we can't support Guitar Rig 5 on Apple Silicon as it was created a very long time before that hardware came into existence.

• edmoris
    Options

So, what you're saying is that despite the fact that there's no loss of functionality, ie that all GR5 features exist in GR7, there's no way of retrieving the previous GR5 configuration in software and replicating that on GR7. Ie there is no retrospective compatibility.

Annoying, but I appreciate the apology. Thanks for taking the time to confirm.

Guess I'll fire up the trash can again.