Please make all UIs scalable

Options
15678911»

Comments

• SH-1
    SH-1 Member Posts: 33 Helper
    Options

They are certainly the biggest among the last few remaining companies in the audio space who still haven't had a sweeping update to all their plugins for Hi-DPI compatibility.

• pet
    pet Member Posts: 23 Member
    Options

aye! lets see what will happen

patience…

• mozart999uk
    mozart999uk Member Posts: 19 Member
    Options

I contacted Izotope a while back asking about resizeable vs scaling as I found some of the text in Ozone too small. They replied saying there were no plans to change anything….

• Roger Rogerson
    Roger Rogerson Member Posts: 4 Newcomer
    Options

Massive is still for sale at full price but not a full GUI. When will this be fixed. It is unusable on modern displays.

• Roger Rogerson
    Roger Rogerson Member Posts: 4 Newcomer
    Options

Guitar Rig is not one of their main products. Why start with that when more popular products are ignored.

• ProfessorChaos
    ProfessorChaos Member Posts: 135 Advisor
    Options

That has to be the most hilarious Cubase customization I've ever seen.

• ProfessorChaos
    ProfessorChaos Member Posts: 135 Advisor
    Options

Exactly. I said the same thing. Even after the whole Kontakt/Komplete Kontrol GUI refresh, the characters still look fuzzy. I mean, in the main GUI they look better but still fuzzy. Open any instrument, including the latest ones, and they look super fuzzy. The new shared GUI is much better than the older ones, especially in KK, but has things that leave you wondering what the hell is going on.

This is something that is easier to tell if you enable the shortcut macOS has for which you can zoom the whole GUI when pressing CTRL and moving the mouse wheel. So the defects in GUIs become easier to tell. And in Komplete Kontrol, you open the preferences and you see that the font rendering is ******, but the font rendering in the rest of the GUI is HiDPI. The one in the preferences dialog, which at first sight looks the same, is not. This is an area screenshot resized to 300 dpi to show that difference:

Then we see the same thing in Kontakt with instruments:

You can tell the pull down menu for snapshots is HiDPI while the menu inside the instrument, or anything inside the instrument, is not HiDPI by far. Even worse, to go through those menus you can't scroll with the mouse wheel.

To me it's obvious that Kontakt instruments have size limitations for the GUI, and therefore can't take TIFFs or PNGs that are not below some ridiculous tiny size like 640x480 or similar. A size from the 90's. That in itself would look awful these days even with the best resizing algorithms, but it probably uses something simple like bilinear to make it faster to load. The problem is that it looks like ******.

Also, for the life of me I can't understand why it's been what? a year since Kontakt added zoom to the GUI? A very welcome change. But then Komplete Kontrol started using the same GUI as Kontakt, and while they are separate programs, you have to assume that they share at least a big part of the code, one of them being the GUI, since for the most part they look identical. However, after several updates to KK were released, still no signs of GUI zoom. Resizing to make its frame bigger, yes, and that's also a welcome update, because the old KK was this awful GUI that could not be resized and scrolling through results was a royal pain.

But while now we can see plenty of presets on both Kontakt and Komplete Kontrol, but the column width is set to what seems to be 36 characters, so if the preset has a longer name than that, we see …:

So I don't even bother, I just open Symphobia and choose there. For other instruments, I click on any preset to open the old GUI, with all the presets on the left organized by folders. When I started using Kontakt 5 in 2014, and you clicked on the triangle down to the left of the preset name, you would get a menu that would be essentially the same menu you see in the old GUI on the left below the instrument thumbnail:

Then I didn't use Kontakt for many years, and recently when I got back into music, that was gone. Until recently, if you clicked on that triangle you would see a little rectangle appear right below, totally useless, which when I reported somebody at NI told me it wasn't a priority, but it was a useful thing that had been there for years, so I have no idea why would they simply remove it. And now they gave it a different function that I would say it's better than nothing, but that's not a high standard:

It's basically Quick Load, the same thing you can have by clicking the right mouse button.

So it seems to me that Native Instruments is putting an effort, but that effort needs to go faster. They are way behind as it is. This is not some small company in this industry, they have been around for decades and not only they make money from their sales, as I understand developers have to pay royalties to release their instruments under the Kontakt engine if the instrument can be loaded in the free Kontakt Player. So I don't think hiring some extra GUI coders is beyond their means.

• SH-1
    SH-1 Member Posts: 33 Helper
    Options