GUI design: adventures in Blender.

Options

Comments

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 829 Guru
    Options

1: detune is an 0..1 knob so squaring it it applies a curve. Then the scale just maps ranges from 0..1 to 1..1.03

2: externalising the phase of the oscillator is literally just adding an output and connecting the 'ph' quick bus to it

You don't need the dclk input - i was just using that for debugging during development.

P and G are just standard midi inputs for pitch and gate

• Bolle
    Bolle Member Posts: 349 Pro
    Options

I built the oscillators using a combination of Primary oscillators and filters.

I didn't plan to rebuild them in Core, but perhaps i'll give it a try. 😁

Still no sign of my purchased and paid for update in Native Access.

Greets,

Bolle

• colB
    Options

I had a problem with that, and it turned out I was using an old version of Native Access. I updated to the latest Native Access and R6.5 appeared. Seems that there are some compatibility problems with the newer Native Access with some other NI products, so there is no forced update, or even info popup to say that a newer version is even available!

• Bolle
    edited June 2023
    Options

Spent all day yesterday trying to get Native Access 2 to work. Tried every published fix under the sun. Nope. Welcome to Native Instruments.

• Studiowaves
    Studiowaves Member Posts: 453 Advisor
    Options

Glitches from a reset should be avoided. In reality both oscillators add and the volume increase by 2 times or 6Db. So why not turn the one off by cross fading it out and multiply the single oscillator by 2. Just use the same ramp to do both. On the other hand, the two oscillators don't really multiply by 2 when they are detuned so a crossfade might not need to multiply the volume of the remaining oscillator. This way you get no glitch if the fade time is slow enough. In short, ramp the volume of the second oscillator down when the phase is at 0 and see what happens. Later

• colB
    Options

I thought about that too, the problem is that it only works if both oscillators have identical settings apart from the detune.

You could just as easily have one set to saw and the other set to triangle. Or they could be the same waveform, but one could be a different octave , or a 5th, or whatever from the other...

In those cases, fading one osc out after detune is set to zero doesn't work at all, so it's not a general solution.

• Bolle
    Options

Quick workout of an extremely simple idea that, at first glance, seems to work.

When the detune of Oscillator 2 is equal to 0, the oscillator is synced to oscillator 1.

Thoughts?

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle
    Options

Something's cooking.

Not sure what it'll be yet.

Greets,

Bolle

• colB
    Options

Seems like a nice simple solution. You will still get glitches on transition, and the sound quality is not quite as high as the core oscillators, but if that doesn't matter then why not!

• Bolle
    Options

I'll definitely be looking into redoing the oscillators in Core, and to apply your build suggestion, at some point in the future. I can't get Native Access to work so that's a problem re: opening your oscillator build.

For now i'll keep it very, very basic. Subtractive little synth with filter and LFO. Then i can gradually add updates. I don't really have the time to build something complex right now.

Greets,

Bolle

• colB
    Options

It's all there in the pic I posted, those are all library modules! apart from 0..1 scale which just scales 0..1 input to the range between min and max settings... it's just input*(max-min)+min

• Bolle
    Options

I know, i know. I saved your screenshot. Just building it up the old fashioned way, to then recreate it in Core later. Right now i just want to get the Primary version done. Many thanks for your help in any case. Core update somewhere in the future.

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle
    edited July 2023
    Options

Progress.

Not sure how i'll recreate a vintage style oscilloscope, but i'll see to that when i get there.

Had to make some changes to the the second oscillator. Though both oscillators were exact copies, the Pulse waves were interfering with each other in a way that looked like the second one was flipped horizontally. That's a problem, because the pulse waves i created are asymmetrical. Rotating the Phase of the second Pulse oscillator 180 degrees + inverting the output fixed everything.

Now looking for an efficient way to add Envelope and LFO amount control to the Filter. Trying out a bunch of different ways of adding / multiplying but no great success so far. Tips are welcome.

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle
    edited July 2023
    Options

Progress.

Rearranged the control panel. Added a noise oscillator. Everything had to move. Drive control will probably become dry/wet mix for an effects panel in view B.

Think i've got the filter/envelope/lfo section down now. Intuitive and nice sounding interaction of the controls.

Next task for Panel View A: building an oscilloscope and making it look nice. Going the Audio Table route.

View B will likely be a virtual FX pedal board.

Greets,

Bolle

• Bolle
    Options

Got the oscilloscope going.

Looks alright.

Greets,

Bolle