Pre-amp gain knob for gain staging?

Reid115
Reid115 Member Posts: 47 Member

I have a chain of per-voice pre-amp group FX, some of which need gain staging (e.g., Lo-Fi). Is there any way to do this in a continuous way that doesn't use noteably more CPU? I can set the zone volume (which doesn't get applied continuously), the engine volume knob, the $EVENT_PAR_VOLUME, but none of these are applied pre-amp. I can only do pre-amp gain staging by putting in slot 1 either a) a dummy feedback compressor and adjusting the makeup gain knob, or b) a dummy 3x2 filter and adjusting the gain knob. Unfortunately, these use significant CPU, especially FB comp, and also 3x2's knob crackles when you move it. Any better solution?

Best Answer

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,023 mod
    Answer ✓

Load Inverter and use its Output knob, that one is basically non-existent regarding CPU usage.

Answers

• EvilDragon
    Answer ✓

Load Inverter and use its Output knob, that one is basically non-existent regarding CPU usage.

• Reid115
    Reid115 Member Posts: 47 Member
    edited March 2022

It has to be something I can set from a script, should have made that more clear.

EDIT: Okay woops, all this time I thought $ENGINE_PAR_INSERT_EFFECT_OUTPUT_GAIN mentioned in the manual ("Output gain of all insert effects") only applies to the instrument fx, not group fx as well. A little confusing when the instrument insert effects are just labeled "Insert effects"...

Thanks.

• EvilDragon

That pertains to the type of effect - insert effects have the Output knob, whereas send Effects have either Return knob (when loaded in Send FX chain) or Dry-Wet sliders (when loaded in any of the insert FX chains).