Need workflow suggestions: Why my projects never get finished
I'd like to get some advice on workflow, because my projects tend to bog down and I'd like to finish something for once...
Here's how my current production process generally goes:
- Getting an idea - usually in head, behind the piano or while playing around in my DAW.
- Exploration and expanding on idea - behind piano or in DAW
- Attempt to codify idea - usually by recording piano or writing notes in Notation software.
- Converting to professional sound - moving composition to DAW, work out instrumentation, new recording takes, applying 'humanization' on MIDI notes.
- Mixing process - get instruments to work well together
- Mastering process - making things loud
So, things tend to break down between point 4 and 5. I rarely get past de mixing stage, because:
- lacking endurance / getting discouraged
- rhythms conflict
- composition problems
- not satisfied with sound
- missing key knowledge with regards to mixing
Eventually things get so overwhelming that I have to give up. When I come back to a project later I just don't know where to pick it up again.
My main issue is with mixing, perhaps setting up a good starting point. Some VSTs are very soft by default, while others are very loud. I don't know how to begin setting the levels. I found online mixing tutorials to be generally useless. I need someone to walk me through the basics step by step, really.
How can I improve my workflow and where can I find the knowledge I'm looking for?
- All Categories
- 21 Welcome
- 766 Hangout
- 73 NI News
- 365 Tech Talks
- 1.6K Native Access
- 7.3K Komplete
- 944 Komplete General
- 1.7K Komplete Kontrol
- 2.7K Kontakt
- 664 Reaktor
- 232 Battery 4
- 403 Guitar Rig & FX
- 265 Massive X & Synths
- 398 Other Software & Hardware
- 3.1K Maschine
- 23 Sampling Room
- 3.8K Traktor
- 3.6K Traktor Software & Hardware
- Check out everything you can do
- Create an account
- See member benefits
- Answer questions
- Ask the community
- See product news
- Connect with creators