Cableling overview: HowTo?

Options

Hello Community

My Q is based on a how-to cabeling the following MIDI devices at best:

1) Arturia MiniLab3 w/ 1x MIDI-OUT (for administering sound FXs)

2) NI KS88 /w 1x MIDI-OUT and 1x MIDI_IN (for 'melody' and virt inst's)

3) Presonos AudioBox 96 USB 1x MIDI-IN (for Mic and Headphones)

4) NI MACHINE+ 1x MIDI-IN and 1x MIDI-OUT (for drums and percussions, ...)

So, how to cable them best to get all devices working together w/ each other?

Do you think KS88 and MiniLab3 will be recognised when attached to MACHINE's+ USB connection at its back?

Will those also be recognised in NI's Software and could they be parameterized/controlled in there?

Seems I did not already get this all together understood.

Are there some sketches/PDF's on cabeling examples?

Thanks and kind regards,

Roger

Best Answer

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,297 Expert
    Answer ✓
    Options

Usb IS midi, just a different way to transmit it.

the 5pin ports nowadays are useful only (but this is an exaggeration) when you don’t have the possibility to use usb (other synthesizer, old controllers,..).

Cabling in parallel is redundant

Let’s make an example: you want to plug your audio interface to a computer and you have only one usb available and don’t want to use an usb hub. In this case you could use your audio interface 5pin port to plug your midi keyboard with a 5pin cable

As said, all of these is an exaggeration. There are cases in which the 5pin is useful, but since I see you are new to this world, to make you begin understanding thing, take these advices. If you use midi through usb, don’t take in consideration the 5pin ports: you are already set up. You can discover all the other caveats later in your journey through midi ☺️

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    edited August 2023
    Options

I would use all the devices that have usb midi with it. Of the ones you mentioned, only the audiobox should have midi only through the 5pin connector. All the other can be plugged in the USB ports and will be recognized (also the audiobox as an audio interface, the 5pin is just to plug an ulterior midi device)

You can also use a usb hub to expand the disposable ports of M+

If you do so, I suggest to plug all the gears in the hub BUT the audio interface directly to one of the USB of M+ (even if it’s not mandatory)

• RogiWanKenobi
    RogiWanKenobi Member Posts: 17 Member
    Options

@LostInFoundation

Ok, then, well the audiobox does also have a USB-B Port.

What to do with all those MIDI connections?

Does a one-way connection suffice for it or must there be also a way back to the device?

Means, if a device has a MIDI-IN AND a MIDI-OUT jack, do I have to connect both of them, so that MIDI-IN from 1st device its connected with MIDI-OUT of 2nd device AND MIDI-OUT of 1st device to MIDI-IN of 2nd device, so that there is a closed-loop cable connection regarding correct IN-OUT cableling for MIDI communication?

For USB: does it suffice when all those devices are on one (powered) USB hub connected to the MACHINE's+ USB-A jack, and the other USB-A is connected to my MAC?

Will there be a communication via USB possible to all devices from my MAC to them?

(actually, regardless to the USB-A /-B jack mechanics)

Regards,

Roger

• LostInFoundation
    edited August 2023
    Options

Wait…you are getting me quite confused…

Let’s try to recapitulate:

If you want to use your midi controllers with M+ in standalone mode, just plug the usb to the M+ (forget about the 5pin ports: those are usually used to control other synths or if the device doesn’t have midi through usb. In your case you are using midi CONTROLLERS which also have midi through usb)

Since now you are talking also about a Mac: if you want to use M+ as a controller for Maschine software on the Mac, plug M+ to the Mac with an usb cable and use it in controller mode and then plug also the other controllers with their usb TO THE MAC, not to the M+

• RogiWanKenobi
    Options

@LostInFoundation

U'r right, I mixed up the ways of connections.

So, to get it clear to me:

1) when to use MIDI? What are the pros/cons?

2) when to use USB? What are their pros/cons?

3) can/will/do they both have to be cabled in parallel/at the same time?

Regards,

Roger

• LostInFoundation
    Answer ✓
    Options

Usb IS midi, just a different way to transmit it.

the 5pin ports nowadays are useful only (but this is an exaggeration) when you don’t have the possibility to use usb (other synthesizer, old controllers,..).

Cabling in parallel is redundant

Let’s make an example: you want to plug your audio interface to a computer and you have only one usb available and don’t want to use an usb hub. In this case you could use your audio interface 5pin port to plug your midi keyboard with a 5pin cable

As said, all of these is an exaggeration. There are cases in which the 5pin is useful, but since I see you are new to this world, to make you begin understanding thing, take these advices. If you use midi through usb, don’t take in consideration the 5pin ports: you are already set up. You can discover all the other caveats later in your journey through midi ☺️

• RogiWanKenobi
    Options

@LostInFoundation

Yeah, think u'r right in that to just start with devices cabled via USB.

So, I will go now the USB way of cabling.

Thanks and have a nice time.

Regards,

Roger

• LostInFoundation
    Options

You’re welcome