Kontakt Kontrol S88 and Maschine+ and Komplete - A few questions

Options
Swisher Sweet
Swisher Sweet Member Posts: 23 Member
edited July 2023 in Komplete General

Hi,

I'm pretty new to the NI ecosystem and I'm a little confused about licenses related to Komplete.

I already own Maschine+. It came with a very basic Komplete version... not sure which, but doesn't include even a piano sound.

I'm considering also getting the Kontakt Kontrol S88, which I understand comes with Komplete Select, which includes a single piano, among other instruments. The Gentleman piano is good enough for me for now, but I may want other pianos in the future, and maybe some of the other instruments in Komplete Standard.

Here are my questions:

1. If I am just using Kontrol S88 and Maschine+ (no PC/Mac), does the Komplete Select instruments also start to show up on the Maschine+, or do I have to buy a Select license for Maschine+ as well?
  2. If the answer to #1 is something like "the license is associated with your NI account" then will Komplete Select just magically show up on Maschine+ or do I have to do something to make it update?
  3. If I want to upgrade from Select to Standard, is this like buying the full version of the software, or is there upgrade pricing?
  4. I understand there are "Summer Sales" usually for the Komplete software line. Did I already miss this, or is it upcoming?

Thank you.

Best Answer

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,297 Expert
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options
    1. No such license exists for M+ in standalone mode. The instruments that can be used with M+ in standalone are listed here. No other Komplete instrument can be added(only Expansions), unless you sample them with the Autosampler.
    2. See answer to 1
    3. Upgrade and update pricing for Komplete bundles exist
    4. SoS ended few weeks ago. There will be another sale for Black Friday, but usually is for single instruments, not sure the bundles will be on sale

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options
    1. No such license exists for M+ in standalone mode. The instruments that can be used with M+ in standalone are listed here. No other Komplete instrument can be added(only Expansions), unless you sample them with the Autosampler.
    2. See answer to 1
    3. Upgrade and update pricing for Komplete bundles exist
    4. SoS ended few weeks ago. There will be another sale for Black Friday, but usually is for single instruments, not sure the bundles will be on sale
  • Swisher Sweet
    Options

Thanks. So to confirm, Komplete does not work on M+ in standalone mode, but I could use Komplete with M+ in controller mode?

With respect to the S88, I assume Komplete still needs a PC or Mac to run that as well?

Thanks again!

• LostInFoundation
    edited July 2023
    Options

Both correct (always talking about Komplete softwares, not the keyboard)

• Swisher Sweet
    Options

Thank you.

If I installed Komplete Select on my Mac (the one that comes with the S88), is there a way to work with M+ in standalone mode, where the Mac (via Komplete) is just another instrument that can be sequenced from M+ (and controlled by the S88)? If so, how does that connect/work?

• LostInFoundation
    edited July 2023
    Options

I think in this scenario you have to find a way to plug the midi out of Maschine to the Mac, therefore you need an audio interface and probably you’ll use the 8pin midi connector. Maybe on the Mac there is also a way to plug it with the usb and not putting it in midi mode…and the Mac can read the midi been sent through usb. But in this case I think the Mac can’t use the audio interface of the Maschine