MIDI learn not working in Massive

Options
MorayM
MorayM Member Posts: 9 Member

NB: This is about Massive, not Massive X.

Recently I've noticed a bug in Massive. When I load it up in a DAW, I can't use MIDI learn to assign a CC to a control - the control is greyed out.

This works fine in the standalone version, but if I save a sound that has CCs assigned and load it up in the DAW-hosted version, none of the assigned CCs work. It's definitely worked in previous versions of Massive - I'm on the latest (1.5.12+31).

I've tried this in several DAWs on Win 10 and 11, has anyone else see it?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• MorayM
    Answer ✓
    Options

Actually on closer inspection, it still appears broken. In Steinberg VST Live, if there's a mapping saved in the NMSV file from the standalone then the CC works. In Ableton though it doesn't, and in neither DAW can the mapping be changed. I've raised it with NI support.

• MorayM
    Answer ✓
    Options

I've heard back from the support team:

[this behaviour] is by design and affects the VST3 plugin only. It should work with VST3 in Cakewalk. The workaround is to use VST2 on those DAWs that do not implement the official VST3 Midi Learn interface.

Answers

• MorayM
    Options

Actually I think I've got it working, I think there was something going on with my pre-saved MIDI setups.

• Toristorii
    Toristorii Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I'd be curious to know what you did to get it working, it's all grayed out on me too and I don't have any pre-saved midi setups. Stand-alone works, but in my daw (ableton) midi learn is grayed out, and nothing I do in the midi setup seems to change that.

• MorayM
    Answer ✓
    Options

Actually on closer inspection, it still appears broken. In Steinberg VST Live, if there's a mapping saved in the NMSV file from the standalone then the CC works. In Ableton though it doesn't, and in neither DAW can the mapping be changed. I've raised it with NI support.

• MorayM
    Options

In case anyone else is having this issue, apparently the support team are working on it.

• MorayM
    Answer ✓
    Options

I've heard back from the support team:

[this behaviour] is by design and affects the VST3 plugin only. It should work with VST3 in Cakewalk. The workaround is to use VST2 on those DAWs that do not implement the official VST3 Midi Learn interface.

• doubletriplezero
    doubletriplezero Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Here is another workaround that worked for me. I am using Ableton Live 11 and the VST3 Massive plugin. The Midi Learn menu option was also greyed out when trying to set on the Massive interface launched inside Ableton. But I found that I could open the Massive standalone app, use the midi learn functionality in there to map, and then save the mappings as a midi setup by going to File --> Options --> Midi.

Now when adding the plugin into Ableton I can just load the midi setup that already has my preferred midi mappings. This will not allow you to midi learn new mappings on the fly from within Ableton, but I usually only need the 8 pots on my midi keyboard mapped to the macro controls for Massive and that's good enough.

Hope this helps someone out, spent a few hours banging my head against the wall on this one.