Reaktor Core Signal Switch and CPU

Options
noizy
noizy Member Posts: 6 Newcomer
edited July 2023 in Building With Reaktor

Hello friends,

please forgive me if this is an already answered question but I could not find a good solution.

I am building all my new Reaktor stuff in Core, but have not found a good replacement for the switch component from Primary. I tried with the core macro Ctl Relay:

But my patch still uses CPU in Core when switched off (I think because of the merge step within the macro) where in Primary the Cells will be completely switched off and do not consume any CPU when switched off.

I guess there is a simple (or not so simple) solution but everything I´ve tried uses CPU.

Please help 😳

Comments

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 830 Guru
    Options

You have to think backwards with respect to primary. In primary, if you turn off the destination with a switch, the whole upstream chain turns off. In Core, you build you code so that it is driven by a controlled stream of events, then when you turn that event stream off, that downstream section of code will not use cpu.

The addition of SR bundles and scoped busses in made this approach much easier than it used to be in earlier versions. Once you've learned how to use latches and mod macros to manage the driving events for the code, you can then control cpu usage without the downsides that Primary switches have (Primary switches cause soft resets which can cause lots of other little problems and give you audio glitches unless your code is very well written).

• errorsmith
    errorsmith Member Posts: 27 Helper
    edited July 2023
    Options

Adding to what colB wrote:

the section 4.9.2 Clock Gating in the REAKTOR_6_Building_in_Core_English manual is helpful to achieve what you want:

if you have two different filters that you want to switch between, you would need a second XR Gate Macro connected to the second filter and its G input needs to be 1(0) when the G input of the first XR Gate Macro is 0(1). then you simply merge the two filters, as only one filter would send out a signal. this would be the closest in core to switches in primary. it will also have jumps in the output when switching between signals like with primary switches. in core you could build some structure to achieve a short crossfade between the signals before you turn off the then muted filter.

• noizy
    Options

Thanks colB and errorsmith for your great explanation. I once read the manual but I guess I should read it again... 🤔

• noizy
    edited July 2023
    Options

Hey guys while I have you. Just a question on top.

I got it working but not like described in the manual. If I understood correctly I can send the SR Bus from top to bottom in a macro and via the XR Gate Macro and can turn the chain on and off.

If I try with the standard bus (like in the manual) it gives me this error:

And only works like this:

Where in the lowest level (1-pole filter) the SR picks up the SR Bus again - but I have not connected SR but my own defined SRx. I dont get it 🤔

Any advice?

• errorsmith
    errorsmith Member Posts: 27 Helper
    Options

you forgot to rename 'SR' to '..SR' , otherwise you get a loop (red lines) as the SR distribution feeds back to the XR input of the gate. the exclamation mark text explains the '..' (parent mode).

• noizy
    Options

OMG, yes for sure, thanks I'm stupid 😂