NI libraries appear as installed applications in hard drive. Why?

Options
max shirshov
max shirshov Member Posts: 5 Newcomer

So when I click "uninstall applications" on my windows I see a bunch of instruments from NI. This is odd because I never installed anything on my windows hardrive (always keep them in external ssds). Also there are some libraries that I uninstalled or never installed to begin with. In the image attached, you can see session strings pro 2 and I 100% uninstalled it. Does anybody know why this is? I'm trying to clear space and I don't know if I should touch them or not.

Best Answer

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,625 Expert
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Yeah so the windows installer shows that you have products installed (does not mean they are on your C:\ drive, they are installed wherever you installed them) and of course, if you just delete the actual files without doing a proper uninstall the windows installer still shows them as installed because the registry keys are still there. If you try and uninstall now you may get an error that the files cannot be found, may offer an option to remove the missing application and clean up the installation (try it).

Otherwise, likely if you deleted the actual files they are gone and there is nothing taking up space on your drive, just a mess in your installed program list now.

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,308 Expert
    edited June 2023
    Options

The fact that you can see them also if they are on an ssd is normal.

The fact that they show even if uninstalled…no. Check on the disk if they are still there. From what I see, they are not uninstalled

• JesterMgee
    Options

How did you uninstall these libraries? If you just deleted them then the installer does not know this. If you click one you should see more info on where it is installed. The program files will be installed on the main OS drive but library files are installed wherever you set it to install in native access.

If you don’t want it then you can uninstall From there.

• max shirshov
    Options

So I usually deleate them straight from the external SSD. This means that those don't get updated when I do it? Even if they show up, they don't take space though, right?

• JesterMgee
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Yeah so the windows installer shows that you have products installed (does not mean they are on your C:\ drive, they are installed wherever you installed them) and of course, if you just delete the actual files without doing a proper uninstall the windows installer still shows them as installed because the registry keys are still there. If you try and uninstall now you may get an error that the files cannot be found, may offer an option to remove the missing application and clean up the installation (try it).

Otherwise, likely if you deleted the actual files they are gone and there is nothing taking up space on your drive, just a mess in your installed program list now.

• max shirshov
    Options
  • Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,800 Expert
    Options

Also Native Access might think it is installed, but needs to fix/locate. Unproperly uninstalled (just deleted) libraries will not be listed under Available tab in NA2, it will be listed under Installed instead...

• vgmrmojo
    vgmrmojo Member Posts: 14 Member
    Options

I think the problem may be with the windows. I had the problem of uninstalling gigs of programs on my C drive but I never gained any free space. I spent hours with Microsoft taking control of my computer and all they told me was programs were taking up space. It is a long running bug in windows that they can't fix. I eventually got the space back but not all of it.

• JesterMgee
    Options

Never experienced anything like that, if you uninstall stuff the space is returned. If you install things on another drive and uninstall fromt he installer expecting space to appear on your C:\ drive, that obviously wont happen but in my years of using computers since they were command line driven, when you do a /delete action, that clears that space.

The issue here is simply the user deleted files manually (from a different drive) but was confused when they saw the the applications still listed in windows add/remove list, which lists ALL software installed on all drives, not just the C:\ drive.

• AxiomDrift
    AxiomDrift Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I just ran into this issue and my search bought me here. I have the same issue but it also extends to some other applications. My Arturia and Ujam VST are all set to have main content on a different SSD to my C: drive.

I just set my view on Windows storage to see everything installed on C: and added up the storage for each one. According to Windows file explorer I'm using 162GB of C: Drive with 313GB free. The total for all my NI libraries, Arturia and Ujam Windows thinks is installed on C: comes to 173GB

In my case its a reporting bug in Windows. I have no idea what causes this glitch which only affects some libraries. I have Heavyocity Damage 2 and Damage Drum kit, but it only reports Damage Drum Kit as being on C: despite all the sounds for both libraries being on another SSD.