Is it possible to map preset select to a non-NI MIDI controller?

Options
holonology
holonology Member Posts: 78 Helper
edited June 2023 in Komplete Kontrol

Hi :)

I use a Novation Launchkey MK3. I have used the MIDI learn function in KK to allow me to scroll around parameters and it's really useful.

The LK allows you to map custom parameters to custom modes (including Control Change, Programme Change & Keystroke) and I've been able to use this to do the mapping so far. I can scroll up and down the list of presets and move the macros as the mapping allows, but I can't see a way to map a key or a press to select the preset itself.

I know this is bound to the hardware in an actual Komplete Kontrol keyboard. But is it possible to map that control to a custom button?

Is this possible to do, and is there a specific code/CC number I need to be able to try it?

Best Answer

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,602 Expert
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

There is no way to map something to "select" a preset, the preset up/down mapping will auto load the next/prev preset.

For buttons this is what functions you have access too for 3rd party controllers:

You could use a tool like Bome MIDI Translator to instead send keystrokes from MIDI keys to overcome shortfalls.

Answers

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,363 mod
    Options

Mapping controls to buttons is probably the hardest thing to map and in most cases it is nearly impossible. I assume this is happening because unlike knobs or faders, buttons are usually assigned to specific "jobs" that are not included in the standard MIDI CC (Continuous Controllers) list (0-127). Usually, this applies as a standard rule for the very common buttons (play, stop, record etc.).

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,602 Expert
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

There is no way to map something to "select" a preset, the preset up/down mapping will auto load the next/prev preset.

For buttons this is what functions you have access too for 3rd party controllers:

You could use a tool like Bome MIDI Translator to instead send keystrokes from MIDI keys to overcome shortfalls.