Kontakt 7 (Standalone) Won't Launch/Start in Windows

Options
melchi
melchi Member Posts: 12 Member
edited March 27 in Kontakt

I can't get Kontakt 7 to launch on Windows 10. It launches just fine as a VST (though it does take a while to load), but it won't launch at all in standalone mode.

I've tried reinstalling several times; I've worked through the all the various suggestions in the Kontakt Crashes article; I've updated Windows; but none of it has changed this (non) startup behavior. I've used dxdiag to make sure that my GPU drivers support the required features (up to DirectX 11.1).

I've also submitted a ticket, along with the data from the diagnostic tool to NI Support, but I've so far gotten radio silence.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Any suggested fixes?

Also, if you've submitted a ticket to NI Support, how long did it take you to get a response?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,713 mod
    Answer βœ“
    Options

@alfalfa crab I'm not sure what you meant that doesn't work in this thread. I didn't put any solution in here and few people chimed in with slightly different issues. Also originally, this thread is from June 2023. I'll close this thread to avoid this in the future. If you have a more specific issue and still need some help, please create a new thread.

Answers

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,589 admin
    Options

Hi @melchi are you open to launch Kontakt 7 after rebuilding the Kontakt 7 Database as recommended by our support team?

• melchi
    Options

Yes, I've tried this several times (it is included in the suggestions in the Kontakt Crashes article, so I tried it before even contacting the support team). However, since then, I've followed all the support suggestions, including: (1) Running sfc /scannow, (2) Repairing the .net framework, (3) reinstalling the VC++ runtime (twice), (4) making sure that the Windows Updates are up to date, (5) reinstalling Kontakt 7 (several times), and (5) deleting the Kontakt 7 folder in %LOCALAPPDATA% (I assume this last part is what you're referring to).

I can't do anything from within Kontakt 7 itself, because it never launches successfully (i.e., the process dies after about 3-4 seconds, before any sort of interface or popup dialog shows up).

• Steve Milward
    Steve Milward Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I did all that to.

NI told me that the reason I can't run 7.3.2 is that my machine is too old. It runs 6.8 easily. Weird how my machine runs Cubase 12 Pro, Wavelab and loads of other applications. What's so special about 7.3.2?

• Royal Tee
    Royal Tee Member Posts: 30 Member
    Options

My standalone opens but only after attempting 2 or more times.

The VST crashes Cubase every so often and when opening some projects that have Kontakt in them, Cubase crashes on load and again, works only after several attempts.

Then, sometimes...it works perfectly.

#headscratcher πŸ‘½οΈ

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,359 mod
    Options

According to some users at the Reaper forum, the problem occures when an Audio Device (USB Interface) is selected in Kontakt but it is currently not connected to the Computer. Do you have multiple audio interfaces? and you originally assigned Audio Device 1 to Kontakt, but now you use Audio Device 2 and your other device is disconnected?

• melchi
    edited June 2023
    Options

I only have one audio interface currently installed and connected to the computer. I haven't assigned any device to Kontakt 7 and I have no way of setting or modifying which devices are assigned to Kontakt 7 because it won't launch at all.

Everything works correctly on Kontakt 6.

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,359 mod
    edited June 2023
    Options

It seems that you have done all the necessary steps. So, to find a solution we have to go deeper.

It might be some unsupported or incompatible CPU or GPU option, which cause the problem, so i suggest to post all technical specification of your CPU and GPU here, and also send them to the technical team of NI through their support center.

I am giving you (as an example), the reason i can not run Vital VST in my laptop but only in my desktop:

"Older machines with Windows 10 with Intel onboard GPU, does NOT support higher versions than OpenGL 1.1 and Vital needs OpenGL 3 or higher to work as standalone."

Maybe your case is something similar.

• melchi
    Options

As outlined above in the OP, I've already reported all of this information (as well as the information output by their diagnostic tool) to the NI Support Team.

I've also confirmed directly that my GPU and its drivers support the instruction sets (i.e., up to DirectX 11.1) required by Kontakt 7 (the documentation for Kontakt 7 states that it requires GPU support for DirectX up to 11.0).

• Noamgo
    Noamgo Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

@melchi Did you ever solve this? I have the exact same problem with Kontakt 7 player, It won't open at all ( I only have full version of 6, partially since 7 doesn't work properly so I don't want to buy it...).

I actually received a few answers from NI support via email, but none of their suggestions helped...

• melchi
    Options

@Noamgo No, sorry, I never got it fixed. The NI support solutions were useless.

• Jeremy_NI
    edited August 2023
    Options

@melchi Last message from my colleagues was asking for the result of our support tool but you never replied. If you wish to continue troubleshooting, let me know and we can re-open the case.

• alfalfa crab
    alfalfa crab Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

it doesn't work, Jeremy_NI.

although user error is typical.

And yes, I assume this is where S___n from support got the answer. You could try putting a link to the Native Instruments Reg Edit tool.

Because messing with the registry can't possibly cause more user error

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer βœ“
    Options

@alfalfa crab I'm not sure what you meant that doesn't work in this thread. I didn't put any solution in here and few people chimed in with slightly different issues. Also originally, this thread is from June 2023. I'll close this thread to avoid this in the future. If you have a more specific issue and still need some help, please create a new thread.

This discussion has been closed.