Abbey Road - Universal MIDI folder?

Options
Chris Dengler
Chris Dengler Member Posts: 5 Member

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a way to have all Abbey Road drum libraries point to a universal MIDI folder for "grooves"?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Chris Dengler
    Answer ✓
    Options

For anyone following this, I confirmed something (I mentioned above) about Abbey Road and drum MIDI "grooves" (midi files). If you add a bunch (not a ton, but a considerable amount) of midi files to the grooves folder of any given Abbey Road library, it will HORRIFICALLY slow down load time within Kontakt. I feel like this is a "bug" in the intended solution.

@DunedinDragon I get what you're saying about the MIDI files - and while that's workable, I was hoping to be able to "preview" the beat from within Kontakt. At least, it allows one to do so with the other grooves; why shouldn't I be able to add a bunch of MIDI files to be able to preview within Kontakt as intended?

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,285 Expert
    Options

Can you explain a little better? Do you want midi “grooves” to play Abbey Road drums sounds? In this case you have to load the groove into the midi track containing Abbey Road

• Chris Dengler
    Options

I want to play "other" midi "grooves" (midi files) within Abbey Road. The issue is, if you have a lot of midi files, Abbey Road drums SLOWS WAAAAAAAAAAY down in loading. I just want to be able to go thru midi "grooves" within the player. And separate from the slowing down issue, it would be great if I could specify ONE folder for ALL of my Abbey Road midi files?

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 468 Pro
    Options

At least on Windows all the various Abbey Road drum kits are stored in their own folders. Within those folders the sample MIDI files used are in the MIDI Files directory and contained under the different drum types such as Black Kit or Chrome Kit and then separated into their basic styles such as 01 Ballad 69BPM.

The problem in combining these is that they are named the same for the two different drum kits which would cause problems in combining them into one folder. Even if you did successfully do that, it's pretty likely you run into problems with the MIDI files not matching up to the drums were you to try and use the MIDI files from a kit with fewer drums than one with more drums.

Or you could do what was mentioned previously and drop the MIDI files into a MIDI track from Abbey Road or any other valid drum MIDI track from any source into your DAW containing the Abbey Road drum kit.

• Chris Dengler
    Answer ✓
    Options

For anyone following this, I confirmed something (I mentioned above) about Abbey Road and drum MIDI "grooves" (midi files). If you add a bunch (not a ton, but a considerable amount) of midi files to the grooves folder of any given Abbey Road library, it will HORRIFICALLY slow down load time within Kontakt. I feel like this is a "bug" in the intended solution.

@DunedinDragon I get what you're saying about the MIDI files - and while that's workable, I was hoping to be able to "preview" the beat from within Kontakt. At least, it allows one to do so with the other grooves; why shouldn't I be able to add a bunch of MIDI files to be able to preview within Kontakt as intended?