Maschine plus upgrades (ableton push 3 released)

Comments

• TheLoudest
    TheLoudest Member Posts: 110 Advisor

...and no GUI on the screen for m4l devices

you have to deal with macros

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,879 mod
    edited May 2023

That seems fine, on MAS all you get is 'macros' everywhere and huge thumbnails wasting space even tho the screens are bigger.

For the range of crazy GUI's max for live can have it's understandable but I wouldn't be surprised if in the future max devices that use the standard live assets could become possibly have on-screen feedback, after all unlike NI, Ableton makes it's API's public and/or opensource, even tools like Link.

Correction: It seems like "I can't guarantee all max for live devices will work because sometimes they can have things that don't work on linux, but everything on our website will work" according to an Ableton rep, ahh it was too good to be true. source.

• TheLoudest
    TheLoudest Member Posts: 110 Advisor

It's time for Cycling74 to make a linux version of Max :)

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,098 Guru

Push 3 ordered here even before I found out all the clever stuff it can do. I think I'm going to have fun!

Won't be selling my Maschine+ though. It's still a fantastic device.

Neither is my recently purchased MPC X SE going anywhere. They all have their own strengths.

• DoverBeach
    DoverBeach Member Posts: 48 Helper
    edited May 2023

yeah sorry, my mistake, I meant ableton stocks plugin which in my poor vocabulary are vsts : (. Still they remain a better alternative to what ni gives us with m+ in standalone.

• Goldie B
    Goldie B Member Posts: 5 Member

Yes, am selling my push 2 and maschine plus with decksaver. Sorry to the hardworking staff, but please tell management that ableton just destroyed them

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,577 Expert
    edited May 2023

I mean... they could have killed the game :) Literally. But with this screen.... no arranger, no decent PianoRoll, no automation curves.

Not sure if you have actually used Push for any work befoore but the screen size is (IMO) just fine and more usable than Maschine.

Sure it is not as high but it is a nice long continous screen that shows all the info you need (instead of split screens that waste a lot of real-estate) and the nav features are pretty intuitive, probably more so with the latest version by the looks.

No arranger (yet) but this again isn't a massive issue since you can sketch out most of your ideas in clips anyway and the target for standalone is usually for perfomance where you want to play and interact, not just record/playback to a timeline. The fact you can simply load the project in Live direct from the Live browser from Maschine (over wifi) and then start your arrangement is perfect, standalone for your ideas and then move to the computer to do the detailed arrangement work.

As for the piano roll, does what i'd need it to. As someone who has never even been interested in standalone controllers and been happy to just use the PC, this is the first harwdare that has me thinking about extra possibilities and has me on the cusp of considering it.

I don't see things like VSTs not being usable as a problem, just use something that is about what you want and if your aim is to sketch up ideas for later arrangements, just sketch up something that gets the idea down then swap out instruments with more detailed ones on the PC... For those of us already akin to the Live workflow this is something Maschine has always lacked, that detailed start-to-finish idea and arrangement workflow, a reason I could never really get along with Maschine for more than a bit of messing around.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,284 Guru
    edited May 2023

Maschine ported to iPad + high-quality optimized control surface. Combo more affordable than Push 3.

Rapid development unleashed.

• wzdm.85
    wzdm.85 Member Posts: 67 Helper

If still rather use Maschine Plus than Push 3. I find the glow on Push to be super slow; the UI on Maschine is so much nicer.

I've never had any issues with my Plus. Although I don't use many effects for synths, just sample and sequence. Which Maschine still does best in its class (MPC, Push/Ableton), in my opinion.

I do sort of feel that programming synths in Maschine (hardware) pretty much sucks, but I didn't buy it for that. I have dedicated hardware synths.

I'm just really hoping that if Native Instruments releases upgrades to Maschine, that they keep supporting the current hardware. This rapid deprecation of hardware is super lame.

Big ups to Ableton for being the first (that I know of) company to plan user upgradable hardware.

• JesterMgee

May offer a slight more affordable initial cost but then you have to dangle off a controller, an audio interface and accept a much crippled workflow when it comes to recording in content, monitoring using a separate channel and power management let alone just transferring stuff onto the thing. Then there is that lack of upgrade option, not even storage.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,284 Guru
  • JesterMgee

So, ipad has to be tethered to a controller, likely with the need for a powered hub since the single port of an ipad may not power several devices.

Seems like it's just the same setup as a laptop and controller, just without the additional power, memory, storage and connectivity options afforded to a laptop. Seems less than convenient having a setup like this on the train

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 604 Guru

The lack of any arranger function is a big - for Push3

M4L is nice but Reaktor is much better optimized than Max. Max has an edge when it comes to MIDI manipulation however

Push 3 reliability & stability are still a question mark at this point. I'd not call Maschine obsolete just yet

It is also not yet known how Ableton will tackle version compatibility between Push 3 standalone & Ableton desktop.. If they are smart, they will release updates for both in tandem

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,879 mod
    edited May 2023

Lack of arrangement is my concern as well, it seems like #1 issue people are mentioning as a downside. Apparently, Push-3 is able to play arrangements made on a desktop, this might be indicative it will come later or might mean nothing, time will tell.

@wzdm.85

Big ups to Ableton for being the first (that I know of) company to plan user upgradable hardware.

Indeed. It might be related to their upgrade cycle, Push 2 is from 2015 so they don't seem to have any interest in releasing new hardware every few years, hw seems like an 'extra' and their main business Is still software, as it should be.

@tetsuneko

It is also not yet known how Ableton will tackle version compatibility between Push 3 standalone & Ableton desktop.. If they are smart, they will release updates for both in tandem

I am curious as well. It shouldn't be too hard for them considering they only have 3 products (Live Push and Note), unlike NI which has a catalog of 1000 things to worry about. Ableton also doesn't seem to carry around a ton of tech dept, they ported over a modern DAW to Linux, not an app riddled with issues that date back to 2009. 🤷‍♂️

Also curious about this, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't but also haven't seen anyone confirm it yet. If their "Remote Script" API works in standalone then that's really amazing, it would exempt them for having to make a KKS equivalent, they can just leave that to novation and other companies and focus on their 3 products.