Maschine plus upgrades (ableton push 3 released)

Options

Comments

• DoverBeach
    DoverBeach Member Posts: 48 Helper
    edited May 2023
    Options

I don't like the akai workflow. I find it confusing. I don't agree on ableton missing the boat for the standalone version, but that's subjective. I want to stay away from my laptop and nothing come close to push 3 with m4l for me.

Regarding the screen...At least you have GUI for instruments instead of two half black screens like on the m+.

Let's see what happen, we are already lucky to have the chance to play electronic instruments. So all my comments are obviously relative to the context. I could just spend some more time with my m+ and stop complaining : D

• TheLoudest
    TheLoudest Member Posts: 110 Advisor
    Options

@DoverBeach said:

I don't agree on ableton missing the boat for the standalone version, but that's subjective.

I mean... they could have killed the game :) Literally. But with this screen.... no arranger, no decent PianoRoll, no automation curves.

so result: the competitors are still in the race

but if the question is: is the Push3 a good stand-alone machine? Without a doubt (fortunately! considering its price...).

totally agree about the graphical interfaces of the instruments

but here again it's mostly a proof of NI's weakness... they could have done better on this point like adapting the plugs UI and taking advantage of the dual screen.

• TheLoudest
    Options

oh...and about the "M4L advantage" (you're totally right, it's a real big advantage, especially for me who likes to tweak my own instruments/effects 😜)

but, again, if NI would bother... they have Reaktor.

Except that there is no way (for now) to use the Reaktor output modules to control other parameters internally

which would make it a really customizable sequencer 

• djadidai
    djadidai Member Posts: 393 Pro
    Options

Holy moly. NI better step up now. If the hardware can take it.

• DoverBeach
    Options

I would add that from an ethical Pov I strongly prefer the route Ableton has taken to the whole buy a new expansion every week, post a vid about It until the next comes out NI ecosystem

• Lipo.exe
    Lipo.exe Member Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

Im maschine lover and i like workflow aswell but its really disrespectful to users when u have 2 large screen and cant even use grapich eq . Cant see visual in compressor if u are on stand alone mode . Also 0 upgrade on fx section and other side if im using vst fx processing in real time it costs my cpu :) and i if i want to play live then whats should i do ? Resample and play just audio like a dj ? Also no performance macros im askin it more then 10 years 😀 it 21 century u should be able to make your own macro for performances which ni dont care . Theres many reason to be sad . One important thing is also that its cant be upgraded because it already has limited ram and processor )) with storage card. And push is upgradable for future 🤸‍♂️

• enz0
    enz0 Member Posts: 47 Advisor
    Options

I’m a fan of the wireless transfer of projects / files

but the form factor is way too big imo, 2hr battery life is weak, no arrangement view is crazy. If you really like ableton/64 pads then it’s prob worthwhile. I’m not crazy about 64 pads and i like ableton but not crazy about it so it’s an easy pass for me

i don’t think it’s that much better than Maschine tbh. IPad Pro with the newly released Logic Pro app is the true mpc, Maschine, push killer imo

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 342 Guru
    Options

...but I care about being able to use it with my audio and midi interfaces. That would be the primary driver for me. I'm still hoping NI can get M+ to be stable with more interfaces, though I'm losing hope. The other stuff is just "nice to have".

I do like a lot of what they're doing, but my "daw in a box" sits on my keyboard stand, connects to an audio and midi interface and is used to sequence/sample my other hardware. Everything else is just "nice to have". I'm not worried about presets. I really enjoy making tools with reaktor for M+ and I'm sure I'd like max, but it's all just a bonus.

It would be really "nice to have" a sampler with more than 1 LFO and envelope and more modulation destinations and ping pong looping and round robin and all of the other 1000 reasons I quit using maschine on my computer; but that's all just nice to have. It's not like I'm being a NI fanboi here. I've been annoyed with them for years, but M+ fits my needs better for now. That comes to an end if ableton adds usb expansion.

(the autosampler is quickly becoming something I never want to give up)

• DoverBeach
    Options

Fair enough. Everyone has different needs.

For me Push 3 will substitute m+ and a jam. Less space, less cables. I don't use the autosampler, I like to tweak and perform, I need proper vsts, visual feedback, probabilities, midi effects, better fxs and a step sequencer.

• jkq2010
    jkq2010 Member Posts: 27 Helper
    Options

NI are falling further behind again. The software is not on par with Ableton's unfortunately, too many basics like tempo and time sig automation missing. MPE implementation is sweet, maschine jam update would be handy right now. Huge shame but I am hoping to be surprised by NI becuase I genuinely prefer the workflow of Maschine to Ableton.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited May 2023
    Options

Ok so apparently we can buy a Push-3 controller and later upgrade it to a standalone, some sort of upgrade-kit will be available at some point, Loopop mentioned this in his video, that's bonkers!

Heres some stuff I missed:

• No external plugins but all Ableton stock stuff works, with on-screen feedback too! Can't compete with Kontakt and NI synths/fx but since only a few work on the M+ anyway, both sort of seem evenly matched in terms of instruments/fx?
    • Automation is displayed on screen, it actually moves instead of just showing a dot. (no editing tho, just like M+)
    • It can freeze tracks from the device?
    • Max for live device works out of the box, no crazy fiddling like with Reaktor where many things simply won't work. EDIT: It seems like "I can't guarantee all max for live devices will work because sometimes they can have things that don't work on linux, but everything on our website will work" according to an Ableton rep, ahh it was too good to be true. source.
    • USB-C power connector, no need for funky adaptors when using power banks, and also makes it easy to get a new power brick. NI doesn't even sell power bricks for the M+

• DoverBeach
    edited May 2023
    Options

"No external plugins but all Ableton stock stuff works, with on-screen feedback too! Can't compete with Kontakt and NI synths/fx but since only a few work on the M+ anyway, both sort of seem evenly matched in terms of instruments/fx?"

No way. You have full vsts on push 3 standalone compared to the presets on the maschine+ (when they don't max the cpu) ... and a lot of great and useful fxs, utilities with GUI.

Ofc fm8 is better than operator, but you can't use it standalone.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited May 2023
    Options

@DoverBeach said:

No way. You have full vsts on push 3 standalone compared to the presets on the maschine+

Han? where did you see any reviewer or info confirming external VST's in Push-3 standalone?????

• TheLoudest
    Options

No external VST. Only Ableton stock plugins.