Maschine plus upgrades (ableton push 3 released)

Options

Comments

• wzdm.85
    wzdm.85 Member Posts: 67 Helper
    edited June 2023
    Options

I would never buy another iPad. Nor would I ever buy a product that depended on an iPad.

The two things I take into consideration when buying standalone gear, instead of controllers, is longevity and simplicity. Tying the longevity of a product to the lifespan of another product is bad design, in my opinion. Especially something like iPad, which is sort of disposable.

Also, how is M+ a legacy product? It came out in 2020.

• wzdm.85
    Options
  • Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 414 Guru
    edited June 2023
    Options

OK, My fist iPad Pro I bought in 2015 and this year I’ve replaced it with present model. How is 8 years of usage out of a device disposable?

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,287 Guru
    Options

From Kubrak quote: I do not say Surface is better. I say, using the both iPad and/or Surface (or any x86 Win "tablets") as "plugin" computer is, IMHO, bad idea.

And I contend that using an iPad as a "plugin computer" for a "dumb" controller is a smart idea. Such a design approach lets the development of a very portable and purpose designed "standalone rig" and a desktop system to be far better kept current and have parity features.

BOTH the desktop and the "standalone" rig will benefit greatly.

• Flexi
    Flexi Member Posts: 366 Pro
    Options

First off, nothing is tied to anything, that is like saying my Maschine Mk2 wont work anymore because I updated my computer, of course it does, your argument is flawed, new computer = more powerful Maschine, you do actually realise that an iPad is just a computer, right?

Second, legacy has nothing at all to do with release date, NI that released M+ is not the NI that exists now, the NI that exists now has released NOTHING but expansions/add ons, and apologists have blamed it all on AS and VST3 support, this points towards consolidation, what makes you think that not having updates in a timely fashion for parity with desktop shows interest or confidence in M+ ?

• Flexi
    Flexi Member Posts: 366 Pro
    Options

What?

It is just a forum, get over yourself, people disagree, doesn't mean they have to ignore each other, what a strange world you must occupy, ignoring everybody who disagrees with you.

• Olihop
    Olihop Member Posts: 153 Advisor
    Options

There's no doubt that the push3 is very tempting, but for the moment the price is putting me off. To the price of the controller I'd have to add at least a standard license because the intro version is far too limited, which would inflate the price even more.

Apart from that, I remain attached to certain aspects of the maschine:

- The quality and size of the pads, which are very comfortable for drumming

- The advantages of the nks format for third-party vsts in particular

- Workflow and arranger mode

- The format, less bulky than push

- A mikro version of the controller

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,790 Expert
    Options

And I contend that using an iPad as a "plugin computer" for a "dumb" controller is a smart idea. Such a design approach lets the development of a very portable and purpose designed "standalone rig" and a desktop system to be far better kept current and have parity features.

Look at it from producer side. We will make HW and it will be usable for just part of the market. Customers will not buy iPad just to plug it into certain HW. Or they have different model and would not buy another...

And what if given model iPad breaks and will not be sold anymore? And so on and on.

Yes, it would be good toy for someone, who already has iPad model needed...

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 414 Guru
    Options

You will not change Kubrak. Believe me, I’ve tried and lost my will to live :D

He is (as knowledgeable as he is) a typical example of hardcore PC/Win user. Except for his platform of choice (which of course everyone should be using because it’s the best), nothing else in IT matters/is interesting/worth looking into.

Everything else is either gimmick or too expensive (or one can build it cheaper oneself) or not compatible with their favourite file browser and other obscure software from 1992. And Windows Start button should forever be in lower left hand side of the screen, god forbid to move it to the centre :D

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,299 Expert
    edited June 2023
    Options

I don’t want to change him. He has all the right to have his personal opinion.

Only…expressing it by repeating the same thing 100 times (and sometimes with only partial knowledge of the matter) won’t make it truer

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,609 Expert
    edited June 2023
    Options

In your mind, without metrics it's just an assumption based on something.

As stated, not everyone wants to bolt an ipad into something to make it work, may as well just buy a damn macbook and have something that has more flexibility and a keyboard and just use Push tethered, no different tethering to an ipad which is basically a limited macbook without keyboard.

As others have mentioned, this thread is now less about Push Vs Maschine and more about Apple Vs Everything else again as if the world can only move forward when forward thinking smart move on Apple iPad is the future, winning!!!

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,287 Guru
    edited June 2023
    Options

From JesterMgee quote: may as well just buy a damn macbook and have something that has more flexibility and a keyboard and just use Push tethered, no different tethering to an ipad which is basically a limited macbook without keyboard

The iPad has some important differences vs a MacBook: Costs less, and has touch and pencil input.

Also an iPad's form factor could better physically integrate with a "dumb" controller to yield something more akin to a "standalone" device. The unique Smart Connector on recent iPads might unlock some cool possibilities too.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,609 Expert
    Options

It is also "closed" and difficult for users to simply upload and manage their own personal stuff (one cannot even access files on the device at all, negates the people that do not want to invest in Apple products at all and crippled in the fact it has only a single port for any kind of expansion, requiring a hub/adapter straight off the bat if you need to power AND connect just 1 thing (including a physical audio device like headphones or audio feed since there isn't even a 3.5mm on the thing anymore).

Sorry, but from my POV it is a step backwards in this area from a suitably powerful and capable and far more flexible notebook/macbook and most people would be willing to spend a few hundred more to have proper access to software, not to have to use a tailored ipad version and choose their OS of choice (like we have already with the ability to connect a controller to a laptop.... no difference in using an ipad, it is another device you have to connect).

Maybe some app may be added allowing remote control of Push, that I could see, but not having yet-another codebase that has to be maintained to allow Ableton Live to function from iOS. Just ain't gonna happen man.

• wzdm.85
    edited June 2023
    Options

I really can't think of much that needs updating. What are you missing? Why do you expect updates from NI. I've never had a hiccup on my M+. If you use it within its means, it is fully stable.

Oh also, ****** Apple. 😂