GR5 - Audio Interface and output settings

user90
user90 Member Posts: 14 Member

Hi,

I need some clarity here. I use Guitar Rig 5 on Windows 10 Desktop with Realtek sound card in built on the  board. I connect my guitar to Line-In so I can choose Realtek Sound as device in Settings and I hear output thru speakers connected to Line-Out port on soundcard.

I am going to use audio interface going forward. But bit unclear about the output. Will GR5 route output back to the Audio interface? If so, is there be a way to still hear sound from the Line-out port on PC?

Thanks

Tagged:

Best Answer

• user90
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

@JesterMgee

Thanks for your reply. I connect to Line-in. No pre-amp. It works, may not be great but acceptable. I am just a hobbyist.

As of now I have 2 devices on my PC and I will soon be adding audio interface as 3rd.

1. Realtek sound card
    2. Nvidia HDMI sound card

If you are outputting toi the same output the speakers are connected to, you should hear what is processed by GR

My experiments show that GR5 can only detect the output of the selected device.

It seems it's not possible to select say Realtek sound card as input and Nvidia HDMI out as output.

So that's what my question was, if I use Audio interface will only its output be visible in GR5 to connect to?

Only Windows can do it in Sound settings but not the apps looks like GR5?

@williamswelsh75

Thanks. My research is going on since last 3 days! As of now I have a convenient setup, something that works well for me with WASAPI driver and I am wondering if I switch to Audio Interface (ASIO4ALL driver) things may not work the same way as of now. ASIO is tied to HW and is exclusive. Unfortunately the vendor is not responding so I am struggling to understand things.

Answers

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,534 Expert

Are you connecting the guitar direct to the line in without a preamp or using a guitar amp and then connecting the headphone/line level to the input?

You likely will get either no sound or very weak signal if you connect the guitar direct to the line input since it is not designed for high impedance connections like guitar pickups.

Second, the on-board audio interface is less than ideal for live playing and processing a signal. Without at least ASIO4ALL as an audio driver you will probably find you have a large delay or major stuttering.

If you are using Guitar Rig standalone you have the option to set both the input and output routing so you select the input the guitar is connected to and then select the outpout where your speakers/headphones are connected:

is there be a way to still hear sound from the Line-out port on PC?

If you are outputting toi the same output the speakers are connected to, you should hear what is processed by GR

• williamswelsh75
    williamswelsh75 Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

If you're looking for advice on setting up your audio interface and outputs, then this is the perfect place for you! There are a lot of tutorials on the web about GR5 and audio interface/output setup, so I would suggest doing some research online to get some more information. After you do some research and experiment with a few settings, feel free to come back to this forum and post your questions or concerns and we'll certainly try to help you out. Good luck!

• user90
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

@JesterMgee

Thanks for your reply. I connect to Line-in. No pre-amp. It works, may not be great but acceptable. I am just a hobbyist.

As of now I have 2 devices on my PC and I will soon be adding audio interface as 3rd.

1. Realtek sound card
    2. Nvidia HDMI sound card

My experiments show that GR5 can only detect the output of the selected device.

It seems it's not possible to select say Realtek sound card as input and Nvidia HDMI out as output.

So that's what my question was, if I use Audio interface will only its output be visible in GR5 to connect to?

Only Windows can do it in Sound settings but not the apps looks like GR5?

@williamswelsh75

Thanks. My research is going on since last 3 days! As of now I have a convenient setup, something that works well for me with WASAPI driver and I am wondering if I switch to Audio Interface (ASIO4ALL driver) things may not work the same way as of now. ASIO is tied to HW and is exclusive. Unfortunately the vendor is not responding so I am struggling to understand things.

• user90

Hi,

It seems someone may be moderators have accepted my previous post as an answer.

But that may not reflect the correct situation. I think I was too early to come to conclusion.

My further experiments reveal that while it does not seem to be possible with WASAPI but with FlexASIO I can choose the output device in its config and GR5 follows that accordingly. So I can have my Realtek device processing the input while Nvidia HDMI out getting the output.

Just in case anyone has similar query.