Komplete Audio 6 Mk2 - is always on ok?

Options
LMJermy
LMJermy Member Posts: 2 Member

Hey NI community, πŸ‘‹

The devil's in details with this one..

I recently bought a Caldigit Element Hub for my home studio setup, to make the job of managing all of my USB/midi devices just that little bit easier. I really like the idea of plugging one cable into my Mac and then just rolling.

One thing I didn't fully think through is that, as the element hub has its own power supply, connecting my KA6 to it and leaving it all set up means that the interface will be forever on.

Just wondering if this is in any way harmful to the device? Has anyone encountered any issues with leaving their interface on for a sustained period of time?

Of course, I can easily unplug the USB for the KA6 after each use.. it's a pretty minor thing. I even feel a bit dumb asking the question. Just keen to hear what others think.

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin
    Options

Hey @LMJermy, there's no dumb question here, it's actually a pretty interesting one.

I'm using pretty much the same setup (Caldigit TS3 Plus and KA6) and I use a multi-socket with a switch to turn off all my studio gear at once. This way nothing stays on forever and one switch turns on everything.

Although I don't think letting the soundcard on can cause any serious issue, I've noticed that my KA6 sometimes doesn't turn on when I plug the USB with the power already on. Restarting my computer always does the trick.

• LMJermy
    LMJermy Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Thanks for this @Nico_NI - I appreciate the reassurance. It's always nice to know you're not the only one with particular (perhaps slightly obsessive) quirks around your workflow.. πŸ˜…

A master switch is a good shout, and something I think I'll definitely consider. Makes me think there's an interesting challenge around tidy/hidden cables and access to the switch though..

I've also noticed the same thing with the soundcard struggling to reconnect when it has been left on. I'm using Ableton Live and sometimes it doesn't register the KA6 in the Audio settings unless you unplug and plug back in anyway.

I'll tinker and report back if I find something that works particularly well with this.

Thanks again πŸ™

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin
    Options

Good luck with improving your setup. I guess optimization is a never ending journey anyway πŸ™Œ