How to reinstall Kontakt 3rd party plugins

TW88
TW88 Member Posts: 7 Member
edited May 2023 in Kontakt

I've searched this forum (and Google) but no luck yet. How on earth do I reinstall my 3rd party libraries in Native Access/Kontakt? Seems this is a common problem.

I'm setting up a new machine and there is no option within Native Access to repair or reinstall the 3rd party libraries that are showing. I can't locate the old files as they were on my old SSD which is no longer.

Anyone got a solution that actually works while I wait for a solution from NI themselves?

Thanks in advance.

Best Answers

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 435 Pro
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

You need to google NKS certified and compatible software. NKS is the standard interface used by Native Instruments. Some libraries are NKS certified and some are simply NKS compatible, so you need to know what you're dealing with. Typically 3rd party libraries (other than NI Partners) isn't sold or downloaded from NI but rather from the vendor that sells it like Spitfire Audio or 8DIO and so forth, so that's where you'd have to go to download the version you need for whatever version of Kontakt you're using.

Generally NKS certified means it should work the same as any NI plugin within Kontakt or Komplete Kontrol in a seamless manner. There are many 3rd party plugins that are simply NKS compatible. Those won't typically be displayed within the Kontakt library or managed via Native Access, but you can simply drag and drop the instrument file into the empty window of Kontakt or Komplete Kontrol and they should work if installed properly.

Another option you can use is to list them in your Quick Load window for easier access.

Also, if they are older VST2 plugins rather than VST3, they likely won't be able to work with the newer version of Kontakt so you'll have to use them from the older version of Kontakt.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,723 mod
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

Generally installation of third party content via Native Access seems to take 3 forms:

1) Those where you just enter a serial into NA and then can download and install the product via NA. Out of what I have installed this was the case for Output Analog Strings and Luftrum Biosphere, as well as the more recent SonicCouture plugins like Geosonics II

2) Those that you register in NA but then have to download the content manually and then use NA's locate function to complete the installation. This was the case for some of my older Sonicouture Libraries and also quite a few Reaktor addons such as the Toybox blocks.

3) Those that you register in NA but then use a third party tool to complete the installation like the Heavyocity libraries.

Answers

• TW88

This is just silly now, I've spent most of the morning trying to resolve this and nothing is working, not even an uninstall/reinstall of NI.

How can a piece of software be so crippled? I simply cannot reinstall some 3rd party libraries, that are showing up inside Native Access, yet I can do nothing with them. They are simply showing as 0 MB/GB in size so somehow I need to redownload the library, but I can't!

Even in NI's own website there is no option to remove a registered library from your account.

Surely there must be an answer somewhere.

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 435 Pro
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

You need to google NKS certified and compatible software. NKS is the standard interface used by Native Instruments. Some libraries are NKS certified and some are simply NKS compatible, so you need to know what you're dealing with. Typically 3rd party libraries (other than NI Partners) isn't sold or downloaded from NI but rather from the vendor that sells it like Spitfire Audio or 8DIO and so forth, so that's where you'd have to go to download the version you need for whatever version of Kontakt you're using.

Generally NKS certified means it should work the same as any NI plugin within Kontakt or Komplete Kontrol in a seamless manner. There are many 3rd party plugins that are simply NKS compatible. Those won't typically be displayed within the Kontakt library or managed via Native Access, but you can simply drag and drop the instrument file into the empty window of Kontakt or Komplete Kontrol and they should work if installed properly.

Another option you can use is to list them in your Quick Load window for easier access.

Also, if they are older VST2 plugins rather than VST3, they likely won't be able to work with the newer version of Kontakt so you'll have to use them from the older version of Kontakt.

• TW88
    edited May 2023

Thanks for your reply. I'm working here with Heavyocity libraries. I eventually figured out that I needed to install the Heavyocity Portal in order to be able to download the libraries, which is a new workflow to me since last having installed said libraries through the route of simply adding 3rd party library serial numbers into NA.

Once the portal is installed, the libraries can be downloaded into the Heavyocity Portal and then each library has to be relinked inside NA to the new install location.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,723 mod
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

Generally installation of third party content via Native Access seems to take 3 forms:

1) Those where you just enter a serial into NA and then can download and install the product via NA. Out of what I have installed this was the case for Output Analog Strings and Luftrum Biosphere, as well as the more recent SonicCouture plugins like Geosonics II

2) Those that you register in NA but then have to download the content manually and then use NA's locate function to complete the installation. This was the case for some of my older Sonicouture Libraries and also quite a few Reaktor addons such as the Toybox blocks.

3) Those that you register in NA but then use a third party tool to complete the installation like the Heavyocity libraries.

• TW88

Thanks, when I initially installed the Heavyocity libraries several months ago it was as simple as entering serials into NA, and clicking install. There was nothing in the product purchase email from Heavyocity about installing their portal. It seems that since the initial install, this portal tool has been released.

It's a good thing I found their portal link hidden at the bottom of their website otherwise my computer would be through a window by now 😬

• Idris
    Idris Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Some third-party plugins may require authorization or activation using a license or serial number. Follow the instructions provided by the plugin developer to complete the authorization process. This may involve entering the license key or activating the plugin online.