New road map updated for 02/2023.

Options

Comments

• Kayya
    Kayya Member Posts: 195 Advisor
    Options

There are too many people secretly escaping to other platforms, should we open a topic where people tell the differences between them?

would it be ethical?

can we eat ban :))

• mehighlow
    mehighlow Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Yup.

Is Serato business model so good, they can afford to give Stem separation "for free" to all of their users? "For free" meaning not charging monthly as Traktor roadmap suggests in near future, and owning some hardware that unlocks the Pro version, or just buying the perpetual licence.

Traktor went for the bedroom dj's, pushing the software price to 50 euros, and opening DVS to every single sound card. I still don't see everyone using Traktor, but massively adopting Serato, or Rekordbox for conveniece of playing with usb sticks only.

Rekordbox gave Stem separation to all of the users. Yes, the separation sounds pretty bad, and it only has 3 stems, instead of Serato's 4. I bet they will "unlock" the 4th stem in future, for monthly subscription.

I love Traktor, i love the freedom and speed that it gives me (with previous preparation), and i have been an active user since 2007-2008. But users asking for flex grids for 10 years, and now stem separation for some 2 years or so, and NI giving us pattern player..?

• mehighlow
    mehighlow Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

I use all 3 of these, so here are my 2 cents.

Traktor $49 - Great sync. Best looping workflow. Best for 4 deck sets. Best for adding hardware to dj setup. You can choose which midi gear you want to use with Traktor. Best effects.

Serato $249 Pro, $449 for Suite. Serato flip - creating "quick hit" versions of the tracks, with one chorus (very very fast workflow). Great for mixing live drummer tracks. Video DJ option, best with Mixemergency. Serato Studio addition for quick edits and remixes. Bad if you do not carry dj hardware, and the club installation does not support Serato - Kind of surprise.

Rekordbox Free / $12 / $18/ $36 monthly - convenience of choosing to carry a laptop or work with Usb stick only in the club, without loosing too much of a workflow. Bad for hotcue triggering with quantize on. Probably better than Serato for mixing live drummer tracks *from 6.0 .Expensive Usb stick hardware.

Rekordbox Edit option only for editing/shorting/expanding songs, only as monthly subscrition, comparing to Serato Studio which has option for perpetual licence. NI has Maschine which is much more powerful but harder to understand for someone that has no producer aspirations.

Traktor could easily go for $149 - $249 perpetual licence with some nice options included, as it was before this discount (i can't remember the exact price anymore, but i do know it wasn't $49).

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,753 mod
    Options

Sounds like a thread for Tech Talk. Ethical? Is the earth a misshapen ball? A serious and open discussion about pros and cons is no advertisement. This is a discussion forum for NI users to help each other, not an outlet to glamourize or trash a product for no good reason. Right? 😀

• Quade
    Quade Member Posts: 231 Advisor
    edited March 2023
    Options

I soooo love the fact that Traktor DVS is included tho, which i am enjoying using & the set up is Soooooo easy to use. That is a major bonus for Traktor users as they can easily connect to any hardware (Be it CDJ or Turntable) this is a huge factor & a once off payment is great so thumbs up to NI for that initiative.

In addition we have the effects.....

Yes, elastic beat gridding is something needed.

The downside is that Traktor users raise issues that aren't being attended to. Have a look at Virtual DJ, Serato, Rekordbox, Denon DJ - none of them sooooo focused on a pattern player but more focused on what their users are requesting, that is pure dedication from the development team to ensure they focus on there users needs.

I have testing some of the other software & I have to admit so far I am enjoying what the companies are doing to ensure their users get the best out of their software.

Regarding Stems, there is ABSOLUTELY no difference really between Stem separation. It's only because the other companies are naming Stems - Stem Separation.

As I have indicated before, I recently started using Serato & I mean, running live stems while djing is absolutely amazing.

The link I included is when Traktor 1st released Stems & that it was only there for a short time, including the fact that Stems where available even for paid users, why it has been removed.... Only the investors will know & understand why they removed it.

Now it's being included in a subscription which honestly speaking, Not All DJ's can afford subscription services for the features requested by the DJ's.

It's sad tho, even tho I do understand that some features (we mostly may not need) are on subscription services in which if 1 would like to test out, maybe pay for 1 month to experience & test drive,but not money is very difficult to come by these days with rising cost of living, fuel, expenses, etc..... That affect what DJ's CAN & CANNOT afford.

I can argue may factors but reality remains, it's all about the money(in my personal view)

But I stick to my arguments & I try raise the voice for those who are maybe afraid or that their voices aren't being heard.

It's just my opinion really.....

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,373 Expert
    Options

You already said that in the other thread, why do you think that current stems are removed or being removed from pro version?

• Kayya
    edited March 2023
    Options

I read with interest our friends,

I wanted to draw some attention with the phrase "ethical", and I also don't want to disrespect the rules. :)

Over time, I saw that Traktor was the bedroom DJ, only techno players and low-economy people who were withdrawn in style. this saddens me so much. When I hear these from you, I confirm myself.

It is very surprising that you rank first in fast compatibility with every device, compared to other brands, which is a subject that I do not know much about. This is a serious detail. I will link the fact that some professionals persistently do not leave the Traktor to this issue.

I personally don't think Recordbox will bring tier 4 stems, it's because they're creating separation and customizing their place in the market. They also thought that they could work better with 3 layers. I say why it won't come because they even released the appropriate devices.

Frankly, I am obsessed with the analysis and labeling issue in the archive. I'm also the same about creating playlists. I see it just as important as the device compatibility issue. I think DJing archive and playlist is the most important issue for me. Stems analysis and tags should be as automatic as possible and can be managed manually if possible. I don't know about automatics, but in manual management, Recordbox is seriously ahead. You can label everything from vocal, kick separation to instrument type. I should add that Recordbox also divides the music into sections, showing this. How can we define the profiles of Recordbox users? Are they just using Pioneer devices?

edit: live broadcast performances are very important today, I would like to squeeze this in with your permission.

• Demus
    Demus Member Posts: 159 Pro
    Options

As you can see on the current road map as of February 2023, all the features that is most requested is still in research, except for apple silicon. Only thing I am really looking forward to right now is the flexible beat grids implementation. Because none of the top DJ software on the market does this really well. I hope it is more like Deckadance DJ version of flexible beat grids. Stems is really important, but only 2 things can happen with Traktor implementation of stems is either it is on par with Serato or Virtual DJ or as bad a Rekordbox DJ, and it is for plus subscription only. Like I said before I still don't understand how old code of Traktor Pro 3 took priority over Traktor DJ 2 newer code, but that's a discussion that on NI would have been able to clarify. Let's see what the next beta brings us. v3.9.1 🤫

• Tellmeaboutit123
    Tellmeaboutit123 Member Posts: 493 Guru
    Options

Let’s see what comes down the line. New beta a reckon should be dropping this week, if not today as it’s been 3 weeks now. I don’t think we will see flex grids until 4.0. Just my opinion though with NI anything can happen.

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,373 Expert
    Options

They deliver on about ~1 item from roadmap per 4 month. Maybe we get the extra pattern player persistency in 3.9, but I have my doubts on much more.

It still could happen, but I doubt it.

Also after 3.9 maybe we get 3.10 :)

• Scratch-E Con
    Scratch-E Con Member Posts: 89 Advisor
    Options

Guys, there will never be a 'one size fits all DJ' software. Traktor is good at some things and it sucks at others. Same goes for Serato (I know) and Rekordbox (I bet).

Stop yearning for features, don't limit yourself to 1 platform and become a happy camper. Like me.

• Tellmeaboutit123
    Tellmeaboutit123 Member Posts: 493 Guru
    Options

I think we’re just having a conversation. I’ve tried other software (engine) but ended up selling my prime 4. Some parts of the unit just didn’t feel well made. I have several gigs a year which are more like open format than anything else. Traktor presently just isn’t geared towards that. Last few events I’ve had to have my iPhone plugged into aux so I can use Tidal. Not ideal but useable with a little echo out. Im 52 now and to learn a new software isn’t easy for me. Been with Traktor like 14 years. But that said you’re right in terms of looking else where if needs aren’t been met.

• Scratch-E Con
    Scratch-E Con Member Posts: 89 Advisor
    Options

Believe it or not I am also 52. 1970 was a good year I suppose 😄... Been using Traktor since 2015 and next to that, Serato since 2021. Learning curve is not that steep so don't let that hold you back. And I do agree it's good to have a conversation. It's just that for myself I have found peace accepting that both platforms have their pros and cons and I use them aa such.

• Kayya
    Options
  • Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,753 mod
    Options

Good to hear you still rocking the clubs. I'll be turning 50 next year myself, and my ealiest track import dates in Traktor are ... from 2009. 😆