Juicy techno ride at full swing

WarriorLite
WarriorLite Member Posts: 67 Member

I don't listen to much techno, which is probably part of the problem, but am finding my ride parts uninspiring. How to do that the right way on Maschine, using stock stuff?

Theoretically, it is hi pass filter and compressor sc'd to Kik but the devil is in the details.

Comments

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,968 mod

Hello

also use different velocities is important, maybe some subtile automation or effect (moving) can also help

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru

Going by that title I'd say look for the double entendre kit with a 36" ride.

• WarriorLite
    edited February 2023

Haha , I like the spirit of your idea.

While I'm not quite ready to bust out a 36" ride just yet, I am on the hunt for ways to inject some serious energy into my techno parts.

Uwe303, thanks for the suggestions on using different velocities and automation. What parameters would you automate? I thought this was, essentially, volume, done by SC compressor / LFO, or maybe a high pass filter to a similar effect.

What other techniques do you guys use to really ride a techno track home with Maschine?

• Uwe303

sc and using different velocities is totally different, you can use both, also try different side chain sources can be fun, a bit of detune via lfo or automation here or there can catch attention on some spots, use an exclusive reverb and automate that - ohh and compressor most likely at the end of the chain, also behind the reverb, i would prefer ir reverb (reflektor) with a small room or an rc24 - but just try it out, the maschine reverbs are also excellent for this kind of stuff

• Gee_Flat

Sorry, I forgot I made that off-the-cuff comment. I honestly thought you were talking about a ride cymbal, that's how clueless I am.

• Uwe303

Ohh I also thought that 😂😂

• WarriorLite
    edited February 2023

I think this, admittedly, initial d.e. though not intended, just escalated :) I hope the joke does not dominate the thread.

Having tested dozens of ride wavs in the setting, they all feel liveless, so I tend to think there must be something I am missing.

Again, sidechain compressor for the swing, various eq settings to leave space for open hat, varying velocity, and the effect is liveless. On the contrary, in some techno productions, the ride is what brings high energy to a still higher level. Any techno experts here?

• Uwe303

Can you give us an example you like, as far as I know the old detroit stuff has lot of what you mean. Like jeff mills stuff.

• Gee_Flat

"in some techno productions, the ride is what brings high energy to a still higher level"

Point us toward an example, such as, a youtube video. I want to hear techno ride excitement. The new 'age of enlightenment' is upon us.

• WarriorLite

OK, I will look for best examples.

Others, feel free to join.

• WarriorLite

1 .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcmDJ4PIGGc

19:08

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcmDJ4PIGGc

10:08

Just listen first and make your observations.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So these are two types. Cox' ride completely dominates the upper frequencies, while Mills' on this occasion is sqeezed into the mix.

1. the attacks are not giving a robotic impression. you hear them, and they are alike but there is life to it.
    2. This must be some automation/LFO rather than sidechain - what do you think? Plus some reverb after it?

• WarriorLite
    edited February 2023

3. Mills at 31:04

as 1 actually, again with no mentioned artefacts.

And they might be mixing in on the fly, meaning nothing sophisticated.

Seems like they are sampled real ones, so might be just 909, which does sound like that here. Still, something as simple as ride, but trying to replicate it reveals this could be spoiled easily.

4. Cox again

23:40 Open hat

what controls its alternating length? If that is CH choking, it is inaudible.

• Gee_Flat

Example 1: that ride has zero velocity, slightly gated and is accenting the groove on the upbeat. I don't get it. I bet that clown doesn't have a clue how or why either.

Example 2: You're talking about the 808 snare building between 16 and 32nd notes without the heavy kick. After the build the Kick takes over on 1/4 beats and the snare dropsout. No ride.

41,000 in Syria, Turkey. Half a million because of the CIA and Zelenskyy, and 20,000 mindless sheep pile in an auditorium to watch a talentless knob twist knobs as if everything is good in the world.

It's the END!

😎 💥

• Uwe303

"talentless" there i absolutely disagree but anyway i made a little beat before you posted the examples, maybe you like it (or not) i overaerated a bit but maybe you learn a bit at least - but as heavy as i disagree the analyzing is correct, first ride barely moves maybe a slight detune going on on the first beat, second example is "just" the groove as far as i can tell, the notation - but i absolutely love that stuff, that´s exactly my taste

• Uwe303
    edited February 2023

And one thing i love is to use a distortion on the drum group and a EQ behind, you push just a little bit into the distortion (waveshaper, foldback dist), and that also can create a moving, compression like effect, you need then the EQ afterwards to smooth things out if you, let's say push the bass drum into the distortion or whatever - just 2 FX units but big effect if done right.