direct thru option on traktor kontrol s4 mk3

Options
2»

Answers

• Roaming Profile
    Roaming Profile Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Crazy audio router here! I'm using it as part of an aggregate device with a MOTU 828x, Blackhole and JackPilot.

I wish the S4 Mk3 had better digital audio capabilities, including direct thru. The thing REALLY needs a rock solid, no-brainer way of setting up digital i/o for external processing of Traktor/using Traktor for live processing. If hardware hacking a dedicated AUX send & return is impossible (I certainly don't have the £££ or guts to try!) some firmware jiggery pokery from NI dev would be welcome! I raised a ticket in 2021 with the problems I was facing. Was accepted as a bug, but my use case is, shall we say... eccentric?

• Oxy
    Oxy Member Posts: 88 Helper
    Options

This is rediculous. What needs to be optimized from your perspective on a Windows machine? Are you insiniating that MAC is better or something?

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,763 mod
    edited April 2023
    Options

Take it from a majority of users, windows is (out of the box) unsuited for high-end real-time audio processing and needs to be optimized to avoid dropouts. Next to high end hardware components it includes both the right combination of drivers as well as the deactivation as well removal of specific process hungry services/software and anything that throttles performance to conserve power.

It's always been like this. MAC computers generally have components that complement each other. I have no idea about the OS (i never owned one). Maybe others can chime in.

Trying to optimize what you have before throwing money at the problem seems like good advice. Take it or leave it.

EDIT: Wait, did i just miss hardcore subtle irony? 😗

• Oxy
    Options

"Take it from a majority of users"

These are the kind of statements that mean nothing. The majority can't think for themselves, so there is that. Thanks for clarifying, we're done.

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,676 mod
    Options

Give it a good laugh then mate :)

Everyone is and should speak from their perspective and experiences with the technoilogy they use. For me, Windows is better when I have good hardware (components designed to work tightly one with each other) which is not always the case with PC. I had to buy a mac because of reliability and not because I like MacOS more than I like Windows. I use both and each has it's good and bad sides.

I don't have any lag with M1 and I'm using headphones as a mic to test. 

@Sûlherokhh pointed out something that we are seeing problems with Dell over the years of helping in Traktor communities. So there is a pattern to it. I also bought dell laptop once and it was not great for Traktor.

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,380 Expert
    Options

Drop outs have nothing to do with "live input" having a delay. So no idea why "try to optimize windows" would help.

Dong dong discussion.

• ILIAS
    ILIAS Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Hi again i opened this request for resolving the difference between direct thru and live input and i haven't find yet a resolution. About the dropouts it was my fault to mention it here... i had to use another topic. The truth is that i am a professional dj for over two decades and i haven't got the chance (money) to spent a respectable amount for buying a mac laptop... Also my machine that i'm using its for strictly djing use. But believe me there is no matter how high specs it has because in a 6 hour use it will give one or two drop outs... and the cpu will turn to red once in a while and i will have buffer underuns... i have done all the optimizations that refers the video above and still the machine doesn't respond according to it dynamics... thats my side story... maybe at the near future i will have the ability to buy one ...😌 i envy djs that have TWO macs (one for real time performance and one for backup...)

• Oxy
    Options

You should probably re-install windows and leave all the manufacturer bloatware off the device.

• PZZO
    PZZO Member Posts: 18 Helper
    Options

Live input delays are worsened by high latency. If you latency is too low for your computer to handle, you get drop outs. If you can't lower your latency any further, try to optimize windows. Honestly though, optimizing Windows is a ******-shoot if you've already done the basics (disabled Modern Standby, updated your drivers, uninstalled bloatware).

If it were me in this situation, I would probably do this. Much cheaper than buying a new Macbook, better sound quality, and you might be able to work around the downsides by getting a mixing console with USB (which are not much more expensive).