AUTO button triggering Latch automation instead of Touch automation in Logic Pro X

barbatruc
barbatruc Member Posts: 16 Member

Hi!

I use Logic Pro X and a Komplete Kontrol S61 as my main keyboard to write and record music. I love it, but I find it very frustrating that the AUTO button of the s61 triggers the Touch mode of the automation of Logic instead of the Latch mode, which I find WAY more useful and practical, because with the Touch mode, if you don't constantly turn the button, the parameter you're changing will go back to its original state instantly. Like, if I want to slowly move the cutoff parameter of a synth, I don't want it to go back to 0 just because I stoped turning the knob for like 0.2s.

I know I can change the mode directly in Logic, but I want to know if there is a way to change the automation mode directly with the s61, or at least to change permanently the AUTO shortcut so that it triggers the Latch mode instead of the Touch mode?

I'm, by far, not an expert in music production, so if someone can explain to me why the Touch mode is better than the Latch mode, or how I should use it (maybe I'm doing something wrong), I'll be glad to recieve help, because right now this mode feels almost unusable/pointless to me. I mean I don't even understand in what circumstances I would need this mode.

Also, is there a way to delete/clear the automation directly with the s61? Like, a shortcut or somthing like that? Because I would like to use my mouse as little as possible.

Thanks for your help :)

Best Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,624 mod
    Answer ✓

@barbatruc It seems that it is actually impossible to have anything else than Touch mode automatically when using Komplete Kontrol, despite any settings in Logic or Komplete Kontrol. I'm not sure whether it's a Logic or a Komplete Kontrol limitation, the only workaround I could see is to create a key command for your preferred automation setup: https://support.apple.com/guide/logicpro/choose-automation-modes-lgcpb1a6ab26/mac

In Logic Pro, you can set the automation mode using the following key commands:

• Toggle Current Track Automation Off/Read
    • Set Current Track to Automation Read
    • Toggle Current Track Automation Touch/Read
    • Toggle Current Track Automation Latch/Read
    • Toggle Current Track Automation Write/Read
    • Set All Tracks to Automation Off
    • Set All Tracks to Automation Read
    • Set All Tracks to Automation Touch
    • Set All Tracks to Automation Latch
    • Set All Tracks to Automation Write

Unfortunately, there is no way to delete or edit only the automation from the keyboard itself.

Maybe some other users have found workarounds for these. Here you can find all the parameters available from the keyboard: KOMPLETE_KONTROL_S-Series_MK2_DAW_Shortcut_Sheet_0918.pdf

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

You're very welcome! I think it's better with a computer keyboard shortcut. You can't really add assignments to the keyboard. You might be able to put the keyboard in MIDI mode and choose a MIDI message or CC but I wouldn't recommend that, it would probably break the workflow even more.

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

@barbatruc It seems that it is actually impossible to have anything else than Touch mode automatically when using Komplete Kontrol, despite any settings in Logic or Komplete Kontrol. I'm not sure whether it's a Logic or a Komplete Kontrol limitation, the only workaround I could see is to create a key command for your preferred automation setup: https://support.apple.com/guide/logicpro/choose-automation-modes-lgcpb1a6ab26/mac

In Logic Pro, you can set the automation mode using the following key commands:

• Toggle Current Track Automation Off/Read
    • Set Current Track to Automation Read
    • Toggle Current Track Automation Touch/Read
    • Toggle Current Track Automation Latch/Read
    • Toggle Current Track Automation Write/Read
    • Set All Tracks to Automation Off
    • Set All Tracks to Automation Read
    • Set All Tracks to Automation Touch
    • Set All Tracks to Automation Latch
    • Set All Tracks to Automation Write

Unfortunately, there is no way to delete or edit only the automation from the keyboard itself.

Maybe some other users have found workarounds for these. Here you can find all the parameters available from the keyboard: KOMPLETE_KONTROL_S-Series_MK2_DAW_Shortcut_Sheet_0918.pdf

• barbatruc

Thanks a lot for your answer! Does this mean I can create my own shortcut to toggle the latch mode with the Komplete Kontrol s61 in the Logic settings, or it just possible with the keyboard of my computer? Because in the link you provided it seems to mention « pressing a specific key (or key combination) on your computer keyboard or MIDI controller », which I assume can be the Komplete Kontrol?

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

You're very welcome! I think it's better with a computer keyboard shortcut. You can't really add assignments to the keyboard. You might be able to put the keyboard in MIDI mode and choose a MIDI message or CC but I wouldn't recommend that, it would probably break the workflow even more.

• barbatruc

Ok I see, thanks again for your help !

• frankspappa
    frankspappa Member Posts: 17 Member

It would be great if it was possible too let us choose that the Auto-button toggled Read/Latch instead 🙏 Maybe in a future firmware update. On MK3 here.