Velocity to volume modulation in amplifier module - what if multiple velocity events occur?

fan455
fan455 Member Posts: 9 Member
edited June 2022 in Kontakt

Hello,

I'm a newbie learning KSP. In the amplifier module, I want to do a velocity to volume modulation. The 'volume' as a destination of this modulation is the amplifier knob, is that true? And what happens if I play multiple notes simultaneously whose velocities are different? Is this modulation note-level or zone-level or group-level?

Appreciate so much for your answers!

Best Answer

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod
    edited June 2022 Answer ✓

Each event gets its own velocity (velocity is a property of an event).

All modulations in Kontakt are event level. Special case with certain modulators that have Retrigger button - this just syncs the phases of those modulators for all currently active voices, but modulation is still happening for each event individually.

I'm not sure why you'd need that change_vol() line. it's not doing anything that the velocity modulator already isn't. There is no "at the same time". MIDI is a serial protocol - even if note events appear at the identical time position in piano roll, they are still played one after another in series, never 100% simultaneously.

Answers

• fan455
    edited June 2022

Here's a callback I've come up with and it has solved my problem. So I can now play multiple notes at different dynamics at the same time.

on note

change_vol ($EVENT_ID, ((($EVENT_VELOCITY)-127)*240), 1)

end on

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod
    edited June 2022 Answer ✓

Each event gets its own velocity (velocity is a property of an event).

All modulations in Kontakt are event level. Special case with certain modulators that have Retrigger button - this just syncs the phases of those modulators for all currently active voices, but modulation is still happening for each event individually.

I'm not sure why you'd need that change_vol() line. it's not doing anything that the velocity modulator already isn't. There is no "at the same time". MIDI is a serial protocol - even if note events appear at the identical time position in piano roll, they are still played one after another in series, never 100% simultaneously.

• fan455

Thanks for your answer! So modulators are all per-event. But are modulations linear or non-linear?

• fan455

Thank you EvilDragon! Just one more question.

I know modulators have many curves to choose from. If I choose a sloped straight line curve for velocity to volume (db) modulator, does it mean it's really linear? The KSP manual says parameters like amplifier volume range from 0 to 1000000. Maybe its velocity 1 to 127 mapping pararameter 0 to 1000000 that's linear but, parameter 0 to 1000000 mapping volume (db) is not linear?

• fan455
    edited June 2022

Thanks!

The manual says per-group, is it the same as event level?

And, if I choose a linear curve for velocity to volume modulator, will the modulation be really linear? The KSP manual says engine parameters range from 0 to 1000000. Does '0 to 1000000' map linearly with the volume knob?