Kontrol 2024 outlook: what was, what now, what next?

Comments

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 1,286 mod

Mismanagement or understaffing

A bit of both. More so of the past than the present. Less so moving forward.

Doesn't even seem that there is an Alpha version

There is. That's what we're using internally (it's also what I am using to generate screenshots where I'm sharing them). But it's rare that we release Alpha to our testing program, preferring Beta instead (since folks in our testing program need to do actual work, Alpha isn't always right).

Backlog seems unmanageable

It was. It's not now. Change and change management is hard, but given time, also works.

• Matthew_NI

@Oscar Morante images should not appear pixellated. Please could you start a separate thread to discuss this? This is not intended as a support or troubleshooting thread.

• Duffcat
    Duffcat Member Posts: 43 Helper

Thanks for your response @Matthew_NI. We'll wait and hopefully we'll see this soon. My advice would be to not give estimated timelines anymore as this raises expectations. From what I understand the plan is MIDI Templates first followed by Play Assist correct?

• Duffcat
    Duffcat Member Posts: 43 Helper

@Matthew_NI, Matthew I have to open an older project with KK for a client today. KK 3.0 doesn't give me any indication of patches it's not loading. What's your best advice for opening older projects using the new KK 3.x and the Kontrol MK3. Would it be just installing the 2.9.4 version, removing the VST2 folder and resaving + re-installing KK 3.x as suggested elsewhere? …or is there a more elegant/speedier solution?

• Vagus
    Vagus Member Posts: 448 Guru
    edited May 22

Deleted to start another thread.

• Beatsandmore
    Beatsandmore Member Posts: 83 Helper
    edited May 22

Thank you for the consistent feedback, there is alot of frustration when it comes to NI.. when you say the staff is focusing only on midi templates that means what we should have had in October 2023 will not come for 6 months to a year later if at all. I don't understand why it takes this long when NI keeps releases controllers and never fully finish. It's is what is we have a choice. There should be a metric staff verses product. If goals are not met that satisfy the customer then you shouldn't move on the the next product because your competitors are doing it.

• Hywel
    Hywel Member Posts: 50 Member

it feels now more like just a delivery system for Kontakt content and NKS is kind of given up..

I agree, the Mk3 keyboards should be marketed by NI more honestly and less confusingly, as Kontakt Kontrol Keyboards…

• Super8boy
    Super8boy Member Posts: 85 Helper

I ve highlighted that track browsing issue before and it has been disregarded by the designers, but this is very poor navigation across tracks compared to the mk2.
    @Matthew_ni is this going to be addressed and improved at some stage?

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 4,631 mod
    edited May 23

It does seem NI have slowed or stalled development of their own synths, which is very annoying, however they still seem to be collaborating with third party developers to develop NKS2 products, eg Legend HZ just came out a couple of weeks ago, I can see more being added from Arturia too.

• Matthew_NI

But they're more than that. NKS is thriving, and getting renewed attention, even more than in the years prior!

• nicholasbinder
    nicholasbinder Member Posts: 11 Member

Yep, same here. I have to put it right to the front edge of the tray and pull it all the way out in order to access the top buttons. Now, I knew that before purchase, but I greatly underestimated the under-usage of the screen.

• Hywel
    Hywel Member Posts: 50 Member

Your continued positivity is a tribute to you Matthew… but I have to say I'm even less enthusiastic about the Mk3 hardware than I was a few months ago, and I was pretty down on it then!

In other news… I would like to upgrade my Mac to the Sonoma OS - does anyone have any feedback as to whether the MK1 devices (and therefore KK 2.9.6) function with that software or does it bring on the death of the NKS and Lightguide functionality leaving only MIDI controller functionality?

Hywel

This discussion has been closed.