FR: Improve Instrument Bank feature to support MSB+LSB sound sets

d0stenning
d0stenning Member Posts: 22 Member
edited January 2023 in Kontakt

It would be very useful to be able to create instrument banks - sound sets that respond to MIDI program change messages - that go beyond the 128 limit.

This could be of use for those that use arrangers as well as potentially creating sound sets for advanced orchestral uses.

There used to be a GM2 plugin BANDSTAND - but it would be better to just allow sound set designers and users to put together their own sound sets in Kontakt.

Many hardware arrangers have sound sets - far inferior to what is possible in Kontakt - that go beyond 1000 sounds. It would be great if one could create a sound bank that followed the typical XG or extended patch maps that use MSB and LSB together.

In addition - since the banks would consume a lot of RAM and take time to load - to be able to cache the entire instruments in a bank to RAM so they stay persistent beyond opening and closing of the kontakt plugin - in a seperate process - this would save a lot of time. And would be a little like Vienna Ensemble Pro. Currently Kontakt DOES allow samples themselves to be cached but it would be even better if entire instruments in a bank can be cached - and remain persistent beyond the lifetime of any DAW project or opened/closed Kontakt instances,

Comments

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru

Yeah... but you have to figure afer more than 20 years, this has been discussed by developers and abandoned for a plethora of reasons.

• d0stenning
    d0stenning Member Posts: 22 Member

which bit? the MSB LSB bit or the VEP style persistent "Kontakt instrument server" bit?

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru

Mostly the idea of having 256 or 1000 slots in NKB. You can have 16 banks in one Multi page, so maybe that was the most logical path.

I have no idea what I'm talking about, and the rest is beyond my comprehension.