Kontakt 7 very very long to launch

Options

Answers

• PhatMonkey
    PhatMonkey Member Posts: 31 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

Ive given up, its been so long now, they are not addressing it, they are in denial, K6 loads instant K7 takes ages so does battery 4 and after an update to Guitar Rig 7 that also loads up slow compared to 6. Something tells me its a security implementation similar to DENUVO that is causing the problems, its been so long now no point waiting for it to be resolved, its not happening :)

• _Stevie_
    _Stevie_ Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Yeah this is really frustrating, even more, since I found the root of the issue. It is caused by the NKS implementation, which is scanning the content of all VST folders.

I used the Sysinternals Process Monitor to track both, Kontakt 6 and Kontakt 7.

It captured 10 000 000 events (file access and registry access) when starting Kontakt 7. Yes, you read correctly, 10 million events.

Monitoring Kontakt 6 creates 46 000 events and literally only accesses the Quick Load entries.

• sacer11
    sacer11 Member Posts: 45 Helper
    Options

There is only one solution of downgrading each product, like machine, Komplete Kontrol and battery to solve this issue.

I haven’t tried to downgrade Kontakt 7, because I see no advantage from k7 over k6.

Has anyone tried K 7.7 ?

• Sufox
    Sufox Member Posts: 7 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

Yeah this is really frustrating, even more, since I found the root of the issue. It is caused by the NKS implementation, which is scanning the content of all VST folders.

I used the Sysinternals Process Monitor to track both, Kontakt 6 and Kontakt 7.

It captured 10 000 000 events (file access and registry access) when starting Kontakt 7. Yes, you read correctly, 10 million events.

Monitoring Kontakt 6 creates 46 000 events and literally only accesses the Quick Load entries.

Oh, this sounds very interesting. So if you would temporarily remove all plugins except Kontakt 7 and also most of the NI Content (maybe just renaming the regarded parent folders), would this reduce the loading time? This would really prove and would be a good argument why this issue is not the same for everyone and that a fix might be very possible.

I assume you did the monitoring on standalone Kontakt ? Win or Mac?

cheers

• parulfojii
    parulfojii Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Thanks for your answer but it doesn't help at all.

• _Stevie_
    _Stevie_ Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Yes, standalone on Windows 11. Pretty much everyone can duplicate the behavior by downloading Sysinternals ProcessMonitor.

Set the filter to "Kontakt 7.exe" and exclude everything else.

Yes, that's exactly right. If you rename the corresponding folders, then it loads faster. However, I did not bother to rename all of them, because I would need to take notes of every single main folder. And keep in mind, it also scans the registry. So it's not an easy nor safe thing to do, to remove registry keys.

• Alex Niedt
    Alex Niedt Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Abysmal launch times here, as well, both standalone and in the latest Cubase 13. My main NI stuff has all become dramatically slower over the last year...Native Access, Kontakt, Komplete Kontrol...

• tnbee
    tnbee Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Hello everyone! I just recently upgraded and encountered the same problem and somehow I fixed it myself. I will share my story here, maybe it will help someone here.

I was wondering what could be the problem when I opened the Kontakt 7, and somehow my Disk 3 (D:) load is at 100% when the Kontakt 7 is loading. I uploaded my task manager load below.

It seems for some reason my system is reading my Launchkey Mini as a Disk 3 (D:) and I don't know why. I unplugged and plugged in my Launchkey Mini again and somehow the problem was solved, even after I restarted my computer! For some reason my computer was reading my Launchkey Mini as a Disk 3 even after I restarted it, that was the root cause of my load time problem! Re-plugging my Launchkey fixed the problem. I suggest that everyone that having the same problem look at their task manager and see if there is something wrong when Kontakt 7 is loading, maybe you have the same root cause as me. You can try re-plug your hardware and see if that makes a difference.

That being said, I do still think Kontakt 7 is a little bit of a letdown for me. The load time of the VST instance is still a little bit slower than the Kontakt 6. I guess Kontakt 7 is a little bit heavier. I really wish I could share my video test results here but since I just created this account to answer this thread I can't. Kontakt 6 is instant while Kontakt 7 takes seconds. Also that "Shop" button really annoys me for some reason. It makes the interface cluttered.

In any case, my Kontakt 7 is fixed, but I will still use Kontakt 6. It has a cleaner interface, faster load times, and is clutter-free from that annoying "Shop" button. I do think it is the worst software upgrade so far in my music career that I need to go back to the previous version. Overall I gave it an honest rating of 2/5 "work as intended".

Good luck to everyone here! I hope that my post helps somebody and I wish you guys success in your endeavor.

Best Regards,

tnbee

• littlealone100
    littlealone100 Member Posts: 7 Newcomer
    Options

kontakt 7 is so disappointing. The GUI is always very slow to load. Apart from being able to load some of the latest libraries, kontakt 7 has almost no advantages.

I've waited many times for updates to kontakt 7, but they never fixed the slow loading GUI issue. On the contrary, the latest version of kontakt 7 also has an advertisement-like "Library Recommendation" embedded below, which makes my impression of it even worse.

• Grymt
    Grymt Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Seriously, advertisements too??

I will not update Kontakt or buy again from Native Instruments. This is going too far.

Komplete Ultimate user saying bye

• sacer11
    Options

I am happy with this situation. Since my downgrade - everything opens fast and I don’t need newer versions.

If you look into Komplete Kontrol 3 or the new suggestion in Kontakt 7 - about missing libraries you can buy. I don’t be pissed that I can’t update or upgrade to newest versions. No desire for guitar rig 7 update, since I know how long it would take to open up the plugin.

• tonyreign
    tonyreign Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

🤦

WTF are you doing NI? All resources currently working on internal stuff to integrate Plugin Alliance/iZotope? Forgot about your customers and products while doing this? New management wanting to "squeeze" out maximum profits on the short-term, sacrificing the long-term survival of the company?

Bad... very bad idea!

• grandgooroo
    grandgooroo Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Hi !

I think I've found the source of the problem with my configuration.

I have a network drive turned on only occasionally to make backups.

I removed the disk mapping and in addition in Kontakt in the tab ➡ Files ➡ View ➡ I unchecked "Show network drives" and for now.

That seems to fix it...

• SteKrae
    SteKrae Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options
    The start-up times of Kontakt 7 are unacceptable. Opening NI Kontakt 7 in standalone mode takes at least 46 seconds, even for me.

What I have noticed is that the start times depend on the interface (ASIO driver) or the number of channels of the interface. For comparison: With my main interface Steinberg UR824 (with ADAT extension) it says 46 seconds. With the ASIO driver from my Line6 HX Stomp, the loading time is only 13 seconds. With my Steinberg UR44 (with the same ASIO driver as the UR824) only 10 seconds! It seems that Kontakt 7 is scanning or initialising something during startup.

So the start-up time seems to depend on the quality of the ASIO driver as well as on the number of channels of the interface. This would also explain why some people have reported that Kontakt starts up in just a few seconds.

Perhaps someone from NI can write something about whether my assumption is correct and whether it is possible to speed up the initialisation process.
  • sacer11
    edited February 15
    Options

I have 4 different soundcards and also Maschine Mk3 - nothing has worked for me with ASio - have you tried standalone ? The only thing that works for me is the downgrade to latest 2022 Versions, that have all features. Only in Battery 4 i am missing VST3 - everything else has no disadvantage.

I am using Maschine 2.16.1 / Battery 4.2 / Guitar Rig 6.3 / Komplete Kontrol 2.8.1 and Kontakt 6 without library updates. I use only Kontakt 7 latest version to check if this Problem gets adressed anytime, but I think NI has no capacity nor knowledge to fix it. There is also no improvement in later versions, these old verisons are working well and don't miss any cool feature, nor a fixed issue.

Only Battery 4.2 has the problem that there is no VST3 and it doesn't find it's own samples, if you have moved your library folder. Pointing to the new folder and saving the project, does also not work. When i open the new saved project, it asks again for the library (allthough all libraries are linked in Native Access and are working well in the library browser, so it wouldn't cost them a one line code, to check the samples in their linked library before asking) So i have to duplicate the track and open up a new Battery instance and select the same kit from my library. But the newest Battery also has no fix and and i bet it never will be fixed. There is absolutely no intersest by NI to fix an open ticket.

They also have abandoned Reaktor 6.5 - so I think NI is dead - the newer products like Kontakt 7 and Komplete Kontrol 3 are going in the wrong direction and it is better to focus on other companies, that are closer to the customer.