Massive X user preset management

Blah
Blah Member Posts: 12 Member
edited December 2022 in Massive X & Synths

So how exactly is one supposed to manage user presets in Massive X (and Guitar Rig)?

Tagged:

Comments

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,738 mod
    edited December 2022

Ah that’s the question!

At the moment there isn’t any (for Massive X at least, not sure about GR)

• Kymeia

Best you can do is some tagging in Komplete Kontrol

• Blah

At the moment? 🤣. Let's wait till hell freezes over and see if maybe there's some improvements then.

Komplete Kontrol? The need to install an extra layer of complexity just to manage presets is utterly absurd.

Then there's the manual: 🤯

"Use the dialog that opens to view, sort or rename your preset files."

Please tell me NI:

• Exactly what kind of sorting should I be doing, that's going to effect the organisation of presets in the browser?
    • And why advise renaming presets, when the browser uses metadata, not the filename? Renaming in macOS Finder would break the link between a preset in the browser and its location in the filesystem, making it impossible to find. Fast track to file management nightmare.

Never have I seen a plugin manual that makes no sense, and is detrimental.

Guitar Rig 6 is looking no better. At least it allows some level of management using tags. But, no instructions on how to retain the tags when transferring systems or reinstalling. And no warning in the software or manual that resetting the Library deletes them 😡. Embedding tags in the presets too hard basket? Presets cannot be duplicated or renamed in macOS either. And to rename a preset in Guitar Rig requires saving a copy, and deleting the old one. Madness.

Words can not describe. All I can say is thank the gods for Audio Unit presets. If this is the future of sound, I want a time machine.

You might think I'm just having a rant. But seriously, been on this train for 20 years, and I want to have faith NI. I really do. But there's none left. View it as one last plea from another customer with a foot out the door. The sounds your products make are awesome. But the rest leaves a lot to be desired. And the history does not inspire confidence. If I wasn't so invested (thousands of hours spent making presets), I'd be gone. And at the moment, when someone asks me if they should invest, I say "no".

Well, this turned into quite the monologue. Anyway...

• Kymeia

Yes at the moment. I don't believe it is acceptable for NI to discount user requests on this and since they have publicly stated they will come back to the user side of the browser, and that the factory side being prioritised was just the first step, it is important for us users to keep this issue live, otherwise they will be able to get away with quietly ignoring it. As with other issues like aftertouch in Maschine and lack of usable FX support in Komplete Kontrol these issues will only ever have a chance of being addressed if we keep flagging them up and demanding something better.

• Blah

Okay so I discovered the problem with GR6. My presets are imported from GR5. When the library is reset, any tags they were assigned are deleted (including colours), unlike presets created in GR6. For the tags to be retained, the presets first need to be individually re-saved.