How to see/set the precise value of the PB within Retro Machines MK2?

michelkeijzers
michelkeijzers Member Posts: 22 Member

I'm using many patches of Retro Machines MK2 within Kontakt, and in the Settings page the Pitch Bend range can be set with a knob.

However, it is very hard to see the exact value (even with the shift to precisely position it).

I am stacking it with another non NI sound, so when the PB is not exactly equal a bad detune is audible.

How can I set the PB within Retro Machines MK2 exactly to 2 (semitones) ?

Best Answers

• Nicki_NI
    Nicki_NI Product Team Posts: 25 mod
    Answer βœ“

If you're working in a host like Logic, you can enter a value by using the control's automation data, e.g.in Logic switch the editor view to "Controls", then scroll to the respective controls (PB Down/Up, see screenshot below ) and set the value to -2.0 and 2.0. It should work in other hosts too, including Komplete Kontrol and Maschine.

Hope this helps,

nicki

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    Answer βœ“

Sure I can speak to that comment:

Retro Machines > Creator and Specification: Nicki Marinic πŸ˜‚

Fact is: Retro Machines is made up of samples from the KFL, repackaged in a cool interface.

For instance:

Retro Machines has an instrument called, 'Memory Lowpass Bell', and the Vintage Library has an instrument called, 'Lowpass Bell Pad'. Its the same set of samples. The Vintage Instruments perf_view is very similar to MK2, and the 'Pitch Bend' is precise with a digital readout.

Unless you're automating the Morph Slider, you can achieve the same results using the Vintage Synths.

Is that the right answer Nicki? πŸ™„

• Gee_Flat
    edited March 2023 Answer βœ“

Bummer.

I just tried it again, saved the instrument, made sure 'Settings Recall' was set to 'Global', and even shut down my computer and after reload it still works. We never set the PB down and so it is -12 by default.

Can you tell lme the instrument in question?

I feel like I shouldn't interject at this point, but if you can't make it work, what about the other idea of using the original sound in 'Vintage Synths' ?

If you prefer that I don't offer help, I understand.

Answers

• Gee_Flat

I thought that using the Expert>Parameter mode in the old browser might work, but its not the best way.

The only way I can see is to activate edit mode and select the main script 'Retro Machines'.

First select 'Activate from...Editor/Patch' at the top of the script editor, or the editor will remain static.

Scroll down about a third to 'function pbend_range_up'

in that function is a line like this: $pb_helper := ($pb_helper*$pb_helper*12)/10

Change 12 to 2 and 'Apply'. I think that it's it!

• Nicki_NI
    Nicki_NI Product Team Posts: 25 mod
    Answer βœ“

If you're working in a host like Logic, you can enter a value by using the control's automation data, e.g.in Logic switch the editor view to "Controls", then scroll to the respective controls (PB Down/Up, see screenshot below ) and set the value to -2.0 and 2.0. It should work in other hosts too, including Komplete Kontrol and Maschine.

Hope this helps,

nicki

• Gee_Flat
    edited March 2023

OK, so I made a jerk out of myself 😚

• michelkeijzers

@Gee_Flat Thanks for your elaborated answer. I didn't know there was such a big script behind this.

I would never have found it myself, thanks.

I'm not sure what your last post means (I assume it's not meant for me).

• michelkeijzers

@Nicki @ NI Thanks for your post, however, I'm not using any DAW (but GigPerformer). I used now the script way described by Gee Flat, but I also will check if it's possible from within GigPerformer (probably it is).

• Gee_Flat
    Answer βœ“

Sure I can speak to that comment:

Retro Machines > Creator and Specification: Nicki Marinic πŸ˜‚

Fact is: Retro Machines is made up of samples from the KFL, repackaged in a cool interface.

For instance:

Retro Machines has an instrument called, 'Memory Lowpass Bell', and the Vintage Library has an instrument called, 'Lowpass Bell Pad'. Its the same set of samples. The Vintage Instruments perf_view is very similar to MK2, and the 'Pitch Bend' is precise with a digital readout.

Unless you're automating the Morph Slider, you can achieve the same results using the Vintage Synths.

Is that the right answer Nicki? πŸ™„

• michelkeijzers

I tried Gee-Flats answer, however, it doesn't help.

That means after a laptop restart, it reverts to some value of around 6 semitones for pitch bend up and 12 semitones to pitch bend down.

So I'm still wondering how I can set the pitch bend to 2 semitones and keep it at that value (both for pitch bend up and down).

Currently for every rehearsal/gig we play, I set it manually an it stays correct, even when I reload the gig file (in Gig Performer), but after a laptop restart it seems to revert.

• Gee_Flat
    edited March 2023 Answer βœ“

Bummer.

I just tried it again, saved the instrument, made sure 'Settings Recall' was set to 'Global', and even shut down my computer and after reload it still works. We never set the PB down and so it is -12 by default.

Can you tell lme the instrument in question?

I feel like I shouldn't interject at this point, but if you can't make it work, what about the other idea of using the original sound in 'Vintage Synths' ?

If you prefer that I don't offer help, I understand.

• michelkeijzers

Thanks Gee_Flat,

I did some more tests. It seems sometimes it works ok after a restart, and sometimes not.

It seems to happen only for one rackspace (a 'song' in Gig Performer), while I'm using the Retro Machines MK2 programs a lot inside Gig Performer.

However, for this particular song, both programs of Retro Machine MK2 behave the same, i.e. the PB Range Up is about 75% while I moved it to 100% (1 octave) before the restart).

The programs are: Innocent Lead and Dirty Saw Lead.

It seems also in all other Retro MK2 patches the PB Range Up is moved, so it's global, but only in that one song I'm actually using pitch bend.

I prefer not to use other sounds, as I use it in quite some songs.

• michelkeijzers

I did some more tests. It seems that in the script editor there is some kind of 'template', looking like this:

The pitch bend knobs (two green knobs), seem to be used for every

• michelkeijzers

I rechecked your post and now understand what it means: the difference between Retro Machines and Vintage sounds (of the Factory library).

I notice some parameters are different, but I think I can convert all current Retro Machines to Vintage sounds.

Retro Machines has some more presets, but I can live without those.

Btw, I also find a 'sneaky' solution within Gig Performer ... I can connect widgets to the PB Up/Down and set it to a certain value, but it's a bit tricky to find the values as it is a double value converted into a -12 to +12 PB range. Probably I go for the first solution (never use Retro Machines anymore, and use Vintage sounds instead).

Thanks!

• Gee_Flat
    edited March 2023

Those knobs should be panned oppposites. Anyway, I'll send you something in a message.

I like Retro Machine. I use it here and there.

• michelkeijzers