Confused by Amp setting macro support in GR6

toddkc
toddkc Member Posts: 18 Member
edited February 2022 in Guitar Rig & FX

I'm trying to setup a macro to basically change amp presets. So I have the gain, volume, bass/mid/treble/pres all on one macro. Macro off should go to the minimum slider setting, macro on should go to the max. Absolutely will not work that way. It keeps reverting to macro off being 0, or macro on being 10. It just refuses to hold my min and max values. The slider still shows them, they just don't actually work when toggled. Trying to get this working with 6 values on a single macro I think is just going to be impossible.

Very very disappointing how difficult this software is to attempt to use in a live situation with a controller. I'm not gonna hold my breath for any updates at this point.

Edit: I guess I found a decent solution. Use a split component and two amps, one with each desired setting. Then use the macro to change the split mix.

Tagged:

Comments

• Eddie_NI
    Eddie_NI Product Team Posts: 357 mod
    edited February 2022

Hi @toddkc

I'm not sure I fully understand the problem, is this what you are trying to achieve?

• toddkc
    toddkc Member Posts: 18 Member
    edited February 2022

I'll have to try to get a gif of it. I am doing something similar to what you show, but with buttons rather than knobs. Also, you aren't sharing any controls between your two macros. That's the main issue. You have gain/pres on one, bass/mid/treb on another. Try having bass/mid/treb on both.

Button 1 would switch to a certain level on all EQs, button 2 switch to another, etc. But when I attempt to edit different macros that share the same control (such as Mid) editing one will make the other jump to either 0 or 10. So let's say I have macro A set to change the mids to 7, and macro B set to change them to 4. If I adjust macro B to the 4 it changes macro A to 0. It's like macros can't share controls properly.

I think the disconnect here is I'm not wanting to use macros as on/off or adjustments, but to set everything to a specific setting on press. Macro A is Clean, Macro B is Crunch, Macro C is Lead. No on/off, just using them to switch between presets. It doesn't seem possible to do that, as during the setup adjusting Macro B will change the settings from Macro A.

Edit: Also, just to clarify, I found the solution with the split component. Having two amps doesn't cause any issue, so that is a perfectly fine solution IMHO. I'm sure if I play with containers also I can find some other fancy setup that works even better.

• Eddie_NI
    Eddie_NI Product Team Posts: 357 mod

Alright, now I understand what you mean. Thanks for explaining it. I'd need to check if that behaviour where the range is shared across macros is intended or a bug. I'll keep you posted.